Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Schuberth SRC comm system.. using it..

Quote Originally Posted by jeff47 View Post
    Interesting. My volume definitely adjusts on the fly. Gets lower when stopped or at low speeds, and then much louder at higher speeds and higher ambient noise.

And I've tried all kinds of different power-on sequences and find that if I turn on the SRC first, and then turn the ignition on within a minute or so of turning on the SRC, I get the most consistent pairing success with the bike.
    Jeff - is that the overall volume, or just the GPS?

My NAV-III has a speed/volume auto-adjustment, and you can set it for different volume increases with speed.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Jeff - is that the overall volume, or just the GPS?
    The overall volume. I like to listen to music, and the music volume goes up and down depending on ambient noise. I know a lot of riders don't like the distraction of music, and just like the sound of the wind. I'm one of those who like having music playing low in the background. Just tends to calm me as I'm tooling down the road. The SRC lets me set a base volume while I'm sitting still, and then when the ambient noise goes up, the volume kicks up, keeping the overall effect the same (low and in the background, yet recognizable).
    Jeff
    2012 R1200RT

I was using the FM feature today.. and found that the volume does respond to ambient noise. By moving the microphone up a bit - it ends up behind where the opening is if I crack the shield open.. and the overall volume goes up.

Leaving it there was actually quite useful. The GPS volume was then adequate, and the microphone wasn't tickling my beard.. (such as it is..) Win/Win. Dunno how it would work there as a microphone for voice since I didn't try it.

A short update after using the SRC for 1,700 miles:

1. Helmet to helmet is great. A friend on the ride has the identical setup.. and they paired with no problem. Distance of reception seems good, on flat land it appeared to be a good 1/4 mile.. on hills - less. More or less line of sight, but good enough that we were never out of contact with each other. Being able to chat about the riding of the 3rd person in our group was fun, as was warning each other of upcoming curves, hazards in the road, idiot drivers "I'm about to.." things.. The full-duplex is a real winner. A big thumbs up for this ability.

2. FM is much better outside my local area. I was able to find listenable FM stations from about the beginning of the NY thruway to above Lake George on the Northway, then picked up some more when I got near Plattsburg NY. Once I learned how to get it to seek the next station (using the volume buttons), it was a minimal distraction to tune it on the fly.

3. Volume. It's all about getting the speakers in the right place. I noticed that if I wiggled the helmet on my head (it doesn't move much, it's purposely a snug fit) the volume got louder as the speakers lined up with my ears better. So, I took it off and started experimenting with speaker location. What worked best for me was the speakers all the way forward and down in the recesses. With them located there, volume for all functions (including the GPS) was more then adequate at any speed I wanted to go at - with my custom earplugs in.

4. Phone. Only used it a few times when off the bike (but wearing the helmet) or stopped, but it works quite well. Tested it by calling my home answering machine and leaving myself a message, and under those conditions, you wouldn't know I was talking from inside a helmet.

5. Streaming: Haven't figured out a good way to really use it. It appears to use the GPS, the GPS has to be the "hub" - ie, helmet and phone link to the GPS. While it would stream fine if I linked the Android phone directly to the SRC - when hooked up that way, the SRC ignored the GPS. If I use the GPS as the hub, I do have phone functionality on the GPS (Navigator-III), but it has no ability to pipe streaming music from the phone into the SRC. Apparently to make this work as I'd like will require a new GPS with built in memory/app for streaming.

6. Battery life. At least all day. Only once did I have it go dead on me, and that was after it had been on for 24 hours (I forgot to turn it off..) It could easily power itself for an 8 hour ride (about my max anyway..)

I'm now a fan, and it gets a big thumbs up from me!

General comment on GPS's: My friend was using the new BMW Navigator (IV?) - with lane guidance, streaming, etc. Several times the NAV-IV got confused, telling him things like "left-lane/right-lane/left-lane/right-lane..etc.." or telling him to "Take Rt 3 north Take Rt 3 south". He was less then happy with it. I never experienced this with the NAV-III. This makes me a bit hesitant to consider a new BMW Navigator, even if it would provide me with streaming capabilities. The voice directions are really critical to me since I want to HEAR where I should be going, not having to try to sort it out on the GPS screen.

Oh - one other neat thing. I'd forgotten I even had it installed, but someplace I found a speed-trap database for Garmin GPS's.. and it was quite handy and accurate along the Taconic Parkway in NY state. At first I didn't understand the big BONG-BONG- noise I was hearing, until I glanced down at the GPS and saw a red band flashing across the top of the screen warning about a speed trap. Slowed down a tad, and sure enough, got to wave to the LEO as we passed by him.

Schuberth SRC

I've had mine for about 3 months now and had some of the same problems in the beginning. Placement of the helmet speakers is critical, if you get it right the volume and quality of the sound is great. I will pair my android phone with the Garmin 665 and it works perfectly for making and receiving calls, the music pauses when an incoming call comes in and starts back up where I left off when the call is done. One thing that was pretty annoying with mine was that it would sometimes have static or a fuzzy quality to the sound, I contacted Schuberth and the helpful tech suggested that when I turn my systems on, that I turn on the helmet first, then the GPS........problem solved. The tech was pretty helpful and told me that if this didn't solve the problem I could just send it back for a new unit no questions asked.....I was impressed. So far I like mine very much and I too, bought mine from E-Bay for considerably less than retail. Good luck with yours and thanks for the report, it is very helpful information.

My best riding buddy and I both bought the SRC units so we could chat with one another when we're riding..

Firstly, the sound quality from the tiny speakers is horrible when you're used to having earbuds. Solution: modify the SRC so you can plug in your favorite earbuds. MUCH BETTER.

Pairing with iphone was easy. Accepting calls and talking while riding is pretty awesome.

Pairing with another SRC proved to be a giant waste of time. Worked fine while we walked around the house.. We played music, took calls and did the intercom thing together... Seemed great.

Then we tried it on our bikes. Music worked good.. phone calls worked good.. Intercom thing: not so much. We had a very hard time pairing with each other to chat. Sometimes it worked, but most of the time it didn't.

After messing with the settings and trying it on several occasions, we both decided it was more trouble than it was worth.. I removed mine from my C3 and it's sitting in the box in the closet. Oh well...
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

iPod Touch Gen 4 issue

One issue I ran into was trying to pair a new Gen 4 iPod Touch to the SRC at the same time as my cell phone.

The version 3.0 software says that it can pair to both a music source and a cell phone at the same time. This is true, as long as your music source isn't recognized as a cell phone! Apparently, the iPod Touch Gen 4 has enough advanced features that it is recognized as a phone, not a music device (I get the "phone connected" message when it connects). I could connect EITHER the iPod or my cell phone, but as soon as I connected the second one, the first was disconnected.

I reverted to an iPod Touch Gen 3 and everything works as expected. It pairs as a music device (I don't get the "phone connected" message) and my cell phone connects as a phone.

Just something to be aware of.
    Loch Miwa
    Crestwood, IL
    2004 R1150RT

Loch, thanks! Good info. Wonder what other MP3 players have BlueToof...

Loch, thanks! Good info. Wonder what other MP3 players have BlueToof...
    Sony makes one that I'm aware of.

I use a Gen4 iPod Nano with a Kokkia brand mini Bluetooth stereo transmitter plugged into it. That in turn is paired to my SRC as my MP3 player. Works great.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

SRC Problems

Sometimes after the GPS gives me instructions the radio does not come back even after five or ten minutes. Has anyone experienced that?

Bernie - nope. Mine always comes back in about 5-10 seconds... but..

Loca,

Based on your experience, I picked up an iPod Touch, 3rd generation, 32GB.. (cheap actually, and delivered to my door by a nice young lady who wasn't using it anymore..)

It pairs fine with the SRC, no announcement at all on the SRC that it did pair (which surprised me a bit) - but as soon as my GPS gives a direction, the BlueTooth disconnects (and the iPod uses it's internal speakers..)

Anyone have that experience? I see nothing in the iPod to make it auto-connect (which the GPS does have..) mebbe there's an app for that? Or an app that keeps it from disconnecting?

Other then that.. it works fine, even can jump songs forward/reverse with the buttons on the SRC.. so they are talking the same language.

The iPod has OS 4.1 (8N117) - iTunes wants to install a newer (5 something OS) - but I believe the 3rd Generation won't run that, plus from what you said, newer may not be better..

Ed Kilner #176066

Have you tried pairing with a G9?

I'm getting one mid week and a friend has the SRC

What did you do, if applicable.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    I'm getting one mid week and a friend has the SRC

What did you do, if applicable.
    I believe if you go to Cardo's website - there is a downloadable manual. I know the manual they put up for their Software Revision 3 (used on the earlier models) specifically talks about syncing with later model units.. I suspect that same procedure would work fine with the SRC since it's made by Cardo, and if you updated it - it is running the same software version.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNuke View Post
    Sony makes one that I'm aware of.

I use a Gen4 iPod Nano with a Kokkia brand mini Bluetooth stereo transmitter plugged into it. That in turn is paired to my SRC as my MP3 player. Works great.
    Question - does it stay connected or reconnect if something like a phone call or GPS direction announcement is made?

I did some in-garage testing yesterday.

In order to get the iPod Touch 3G to connect, I must tell it to connect to the SRC. It knows about the SRC, but the BlueTooth on the iPod is apparently an afterthought by Apple, and it doesn't offer auto-connect.

I checked by triggering a GPS announcement, and watching what the iPod does. It disconnects the SRC Bluetooth connection, and stops playing whatever was playing. It never reconnects, and it won't start playing what was playing automatically.

Dumb design (don't get me started on their docking connector, as an ex-engineer, whoever designed it should have been fired, there is a thriving aftermarket built up around replacing them..) But I digress..

So - using an external BlueTooth dongle - does it autoconnect, or stay connected and let the SRC prioritize the connections?

One other question for people who've tried it - has anyone used the SRC wire that is for connecting to an MP3 player? Any info on how well that works would be great.. although it defeats the wireless part of the equation which is a primary reason to buy the SRC.

Ed Kilner #176066
    I believe if you go to Cardo's website - there is a downloadable manual. I know the manual they put up for their Software Revision 3 (used on the earlier models) specifically talks about syncing with later model units.. I suspect that same procedure would work fine with the SRC since it's made by Cardo, and if you updated it - it is running the same software version.
    I did get the Cardo extra sheet with info. But, they don't say exactly which Cardo the SRC is! So, I was trying to see if you had discovered which directions apply.

It looks like they are all quite similar, so it should work out. I'll post the results.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/