Thread: Schuberth SRC comm system.. using it..

Hybrid View

Schuberth SRC comm system.. using it..

Rather then tag this on to the end of the C3 thread, I figured this deserved it's own thread... and after searching, and coming up with nothing, here it is.

Got the SRC system from an Ebay auction (BMW Motorcycles of Countryside).. slightly used apparently (although it looked like new, it didn't have the manuals, cords or velcro.. all of those were readily available, so at $203.50 it seemed a bargain.)

Took about 3 hours to fully charge up (using my cell phone charger).. and then I worked my way though the not terribly well written manual. It's another manual sort of written by experts for other experts sorta thing. Things are assumed that you know, because the author knew them.

What's really needed is flow charts of the different functions and how to achieve them with the 5 buttons on the SRC.

I managed to get it to do most of what I think it does - with one small exception. The MP3 playing capability via BlueToof - hooking it up to my HTC Incredible-II got me MP3 music, but aside from pausing it and playing it - I wasn't able to control it very well from the SRC.

The FM receiver is simply noise - but that's no surprise at my house.. a good $1,000 FM tuner has a hard time receiving stations (I'm in an RF black hole of some type - when I pull into my driveway in my car - the radio just fades away.)

Anyway - the question I'll start off with - is how do you have it paired with your cellular communications device. The manual shows two ways to do it. Do a direct pairing between the SRC and the cell phone and a direct pairing of the SRC and GPS, or do what looks like a daisy chain to me: SRC <--> GPS <--> Cell phone.

I tried both and right now I'm opting for SRC <--> GPS and SRC <--> Cell phone. That scenerio does allow me to voice control the phone (not terribly well..) and also have the streaming audio from the phone.

The other scenerio (the daisy-chain) - nicely did upload my phone book to the GPS, and did allow me to control the cell phone via the GPS, but it didn't appear that I could stream MP3s that way.

So - what'cha doin' and why? My GPS is a BMW Navigator-III, which is very similar to the Garmin 2370 series, with BlueToof.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I'm using an SRC paired to the radio on my '12 RT and the GPS (Nav III). My iPhone is then paired to the GPS.

Things I like about this setup:
    1. I can listen to music from the bike, and it's automatically interrupted by GPS directions or a phone call without any button pushing.
    2. Music volume is automatically regulated by the noise in the helmet (more noise means more volume) so I never have to worry about volume.

Things I don't like:
    1. The only way I've figured out how to answer a call is to lean forward to hit the button on the GPS (or fumble around for the button on the collar).
    2. Can't listen to music from the iPhone.
    3. The bluetooth connection between the SRC and the bike is not reliable. I have to use a specific order of powering on equipment to get it all to pair up, and sometimes when it pairs I don't get any audio in the helmet so I have to power everything down and start all over. Very frustrating when making a quick stop for fueling up or something.
    4. The audio quality from the bike is not good, and the quality from the GPS is worse. The phone quality is just okay when going through the GPS, but if I pair the phone directly to the SRC, the quality is great.
    Jeff
    2012 R1200RT

Hi Jeff,

Thanks! One thing I noticed.. when streaming MP3s directly from my phone to the SRC, there is more then adequate volume available.. but if I try it through the GPS, the GPS doesn't allow for controlling the volume and it isn't really capable of being loud enough to use with earplugs (which I'd like..)

I checked the software version on the SRC, and it's the current 3.0 release.. which allows for individual and stored volume settings for each function/mode.. seems the GPS Bluetooth connection simply doesn't get loud enough. Phone is fine.

I tried calling a friend - wearing the helmet in my office. SWMBO came in and just looked at me. I think it's like the "Cone of Silence" - from Get Smart!..

Will be trying it on the bike tomorrow.. and report back how I like it. Luckily it's not hard to switch the modes around to try the daisy-chain setup.

Schuberth

I gave up on pairing to the bike since I like to listen to my iPhone most of the time anyway. I pair directly to the phone, then just set my RT radio on aux and let the GPS instructions come thru that. The audio quality coming straight from the bike to the bluetooth is very poor. If I had it to do over, I would not get the radio option.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I tried calling a friend - wearing the helmet in my office. SWMBO came in and just looked at me. I think it's like the "Cone of Silence" - from Get Smart!..
    Great visual!
    Jeff
    2012 R1200RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I don't listen to music when riding, and don't take calls while riding. So that leaves GPS instructions and communicating with my riding buddy. But that was a mixed blessing. I'm more introverted, and enjoy riding in silence knowing we can talk around a campfire at night. He is as chatty as a pre-teen girl and can easily drain my SRC battery in a single day of riding. The final straw came when he had to take a leak, pulled over, raced into the bushes...and my helmet was filled with the sounds of his delight in his own bodily functions!

That's when I decided communication was highly overrated.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I don't listen to music either - usually the songs and voices in my head are plenty to keep me amused.. but 'ya never know. I have been on some long slab rides where I start to zone out a bit, and music might help that. Maybe.

I used SRC today with earplugs (Bob Weiss custom ones), and it is still comfortable (the speakers don't impinge on the ear space) and was useable with my BMW Navigator-III. The volume was just about adequate.. It could use a bit more. When I tried other sources like streaming MP3 from my phone - the volume is capable of being much louder without any distortion, so I suspect this is a software setting issue. I think I'll write to Schuberth and see if they can do anything with the next update for the firmware in the SRC.

I did find the SRC apparently is - either - GPS or phone, not both connected to it at the same time. I think... The manual also implies this, but I had to try it to see what happened.

So that means to have the phone connected - it has to be routed through the GPS, with the attendant low volume. It also didn't seem capable of streaming MP3s hooked up this way - at least not while routing.

QUESTION: Anyone else have comments on the GPS volume?

When I got home I played with the FM tuner a bit.. and with the manual right in front of me, managed to get one station and store it.

To make the FM work:

- Press B button for about 6 seconds to turn the radio on

- Tune to the presets by pressing the B button briefly, it wil move one preset for each quick push.

- To look for stations, first go to the preset you want to store the station in, then press and HOLD the volume button (either one - one scans up, one scans down) and the radio will tune itself to what it thinks is the next station. Once you find one that you want to store, you have 20 seconds to store it by quickly pressing the B button again.

If you want to store more - after the 20 seconds - use the B button to move to the next preset you want to store it in before searching for another station.

Right now - I have the one station I can get (a local station) stored in 3 preset spots. If I can ever find any more stations I have plenty of available presets to store them in.

FWIW - sometimes when it scans - it finds a station where you know it's there, but the noise is so bad you can't actually hear it. And sometimes it stops on what sounds like a carrier (dead-air, not static) with no audio on it. Dunno what's up with that.