Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rear wheel oil

Ok thank you sir, this is where I got my initial information at Benchmarkworks, in the tech articles. Then did some bing and google searches and got even more cross-eyed.... So where do we go from here? Below is the website were I got the initial info.
    http://www.benchmarkworks.com/
    Thank you Barron that's the place.
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

Quote Originally Posted by Gch71 View Post
    Ok thank you sir, this is where I got my initial information at Benchmarkworks, in the tech articles. Then did some bing and google searches and got even more cross-eyed.... So where do we go from here? Below is the website were I got the initial info.
    http://www.benchmarkworks.com/
    Thank you Barron that's the place.
    Vech knows more about vintage BMWs than almost anybody. And I would certainly defer to him on any pre-1969 model. But I know for a fact that BMW specified GL5 oil for pre-1992 models. I have heard of many many transmission issues in Airheads over the years, but have not heard of erosion of brass or bronze bushings as one of them.

I doubt BMW would have specified GL5 oil unless they thought it was necessary. Other folks I consider Airhead gurus including Oak Okleshen and Tom Cutter use and have recommended GL5 gear oil. Tom specifically uses and recommends Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 GL5 gear oil (which has recently been renamed and I forget the new name).
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Checked my old /7 shop manual and the owners manual from my '78 R100S and BMW was vague, specifying only "brand name hypoid gear oil."

My '81 VW Vanagon (my going to the dump vehicle) specifically requires GL4 FWIW. There's a Redline product that works for it.

As noted by Paul, nobody's having trouble with GL5 in Airheads.

Yes, the new Castrol name is troubling to me as the name includes "limited slip." IMHO this is simply more evidence that Castrol USA is not a trustworthy company, while Castrol everywhere else is. BMW for sure sells none of their products.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The yellow metal in the driveline is a concern for only the pre /5 models, and even then I really don't think it's an issue IMO. I don't see /2 bikes littering the side of the road, anyway! Oak has also expressed the same general opinion in his Airmail tech articles.

As Paul and Kent have said, GL5 is the choice for /5 on bikes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thats why I posted here, thank you guys for the info now I can keep things as they were...bikes running great 30-40 miles a day for five days a week, I'm loving life
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I don't see /2 bikes littering the side of the road, anyway!
    If you do let me know where and I'll bring my trailer to pick them up to clean up the litter.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves