Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Timers at the rally

Receiving starts Monday mornin, so if you are arriving early, be sure to check in with us.

Karen and Ben
    Receiving Chairs

Thx Mike;

I am headed for Oark,ARK., for the GS stuff on the 15th, crossing your areas. See ya'll in MO., if not Oark first. You see a White/red trimmed GSA1200 all loaded, flag me down for a drink....Randy

Be Proactive to enjoy the Rally

Some recommendations I make to Firstimers at the Ambassador booth:

1. Take some time, early, to read through the rally program. Mark the seminars and events you want to be sure to see.

2. Try to assemble a mental picture of the rally site map. It is a big place, and you can wear your legs out just doing helter skelter wandering.

3. Be proactive in meeting others. Riders aren't all socially adept, and may not make the first move to introduce themselves or offer contact. I have met some really nice people by asking to share a table at lunch or in the beer tent, and by hanging for a few minutes after a seminar with the presenter.

4. The surest way to meet others is to volunteer for some part of the rally work. The nicest people volunteer, also.

5. The beer tent isn't just for getting loaded (although that is a possibility). If you are 'forward' in saying hello to people, SOME of them will return the favor. Find something in common, even if it's the color of their shirt or their brand of beer. The same with the music entertainment.

6. One of the benefits of camping on site is that you can (if you wish) have a few brews, and still walk to your campsite. It's one of the best reasons to camp.

7. Sometimes, some of the affiliated clubs can get pretty cliquish. Sometimes, I think they rally like Harley riders ride - in tight, impregnable groups. Be open to meeting new friends. I have made a number of life long friendships at MOA rallies, and I'm an introvert. You can do better than that.

8. Plan to do lots more than just vendor shopping. Save that for the idle time you have between seminars, events, lunch, breakfast, supper, music, showers, demo rides, etc.

THIS YEAR, take some lightweight cotton or wicking clothes, shorts, sandals, hat, and sun block. Missouri doesn't have the absolute friendliest weather in July. Stay hydrated, and know when to find air conditioned space.

Meet people, make friends, don't be afraid to laugh, and be open to others. If you do, you will look forward to every year's rally.

Truth

Jim Shaw's words should be carved in stone in the Rally manual!
    Live this day.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    jim shaw's words should be carved in stone in the rally manual!
    +1
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Talking

Well said Jim!!!

Listen up First Timers! Please, be out going. As Jim says, insert yourselves in conversations and table settings. Yeah this can be uncomfortable but it really is a great way to break the ice. A simple "Hey this is my (our) first rally" comment to a stranger will take you on your way to meeting many new people. It will be all good.

Enjoy the Howlin' at the Moon National! We're looking forward to seeing you.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Bring cigars

I have met some lifelong friends by showing up with good smokes.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Do I understand Jerry is bringing the cigars? Then I won't have to.

Along with some of the ideas for first-timers, I'd like to add some. It is appreciated a lot when you volunteer. However, when you get to the rally, get registered and set up. Then check what other things you'd like to do. THEN go sign up for a shift at something. The last thing we want to hear is that you were too busy volunteering to ........ It's supposed to be fun, and we don't want to burn anybody out at their first National. But if you feel you have the time, please do volunteer.

One other thing I like to tell new folks , welcome to the family. This is a family reunion with relatives you didn't know you had, and some you'll probably wonder about. A smile and a handshake go a long way, and after a while, hugs and kisses are not uncommon.

Uh, Jerry, Rocky Patel Edge or Perdomo Champagne, please.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

In the bag

Cuban Cohibas
    LaGloria Cubano
    Quintero
    Casablanca domica
    Bolivar domica

I am certain there will be more by the time I get it all packed.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I'm bringing the Scotch and some excellent coffee for opposite ends of the day.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Thumbs up Howlin' at the Moon Coffee

Stop at the Katy Depot and pick up some of our special blended Howlin' at the Moon coffee. The Ozark Mountain Coffee Company prepared this special blend just for us. It's available in 2oz packages.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

What a great idea! We'll be sure to look for it!

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Mercy! Coffee, Scotch, cigars, various types of carburized animal protein, beer, friends and Beemers! What more could be wanted?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Okay, now that the talk bout what treats are being brought along....here's my lineup.

Talisker 10, 2004 Vegas Robaina and Ramon Allone Specially Selected, AF 858 Sungrown, Frank Llaneza 1961, Monte Afrique, and assorted Honduran/Nicaraguan sticks to hand out.

On a little more serious note.....do you cigar smokers camp a little toward the edge of the campgrounds or have any problems with people complaining about the smoke? My last National was West Bend and I don't remember having any problems enjoying a few cigars in the evening.

Looking forward to it!
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

Ask first

I rolled in to Bloomsburg, saw the shade trees near the stage and approached the folks camped there. I said, "I drink, I smoke cigars and I cuss; is this a good place to pitch my tent?"

I was welcomed with a chorus of we do too.

Great group of folks and a lot of fine smokes and select beers and whiskey was consumed.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449