Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Timers at the rally

First Timers at the rally

I just attended the RA rally and met a few people that were nice to talk to. I'm not much of a party guy but thought it might be a good idea for us first timers at the MOA rally set up a time and place to meet up and introduce ourselves to one another. It would be good to share ideas and maybe help make the rally better for us. I'm new to the BMW world and looking to learn all I can about my bike and other things Beemer related or just riding in general. If anyone is interested, let's set up a time and place to get together. The rally coordinators may already have a first timer get together already planned, I will be there if they do.

There is normally a time scheduled in the program for the first timers to meet. Some of the Executive, Ambassadors and Ray Zimmerman, CEO, should be there to answer Questions.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Thumbs up

Try the BEER TENT. Its informal, friendly, and popular. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    Try the BEER TENT. Its informal, friendly, and popular. Ride Safe
    So you said to try the beer tent, then ride safe... there's something funny there!
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

First time attendees will be offered a button/pin and maybe a token or other small prize at the Ambassador booth. But you don't need to just meet other 1st Timers - ask anybody. Most folks are friendly and will be happy to answer any questions or help.

Everybody that ever went to an MOA rally was a first timer once. It is the repeat 1st timers I worry about.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

RA rally

Mike, I too was at the RA rally last weekend. I had a great time and the weather was better than we expected. Copper Mt. Resort was an excellent venue for the RA event and Tina Doggett did an outstanding job as Rally Chair.

You will find the MOA "Howlin' at the Moon" rally a whole different type of event. More vendors, seminars, and events like the GS Giant, GT Giant and BMW demo rides. I assure you, you will not have time to do it all. Beyond that the entertainment this year will be off the charts as will be the Superstakes drawing.

I'd make one suggestion. You mentioned you were new to all things BMW. I'd strongly suggest volunteering at some time during the rally. These forums are full of stories of lifelong friendships that were initiated by meeting people through volunteering at MOA rallies. Check with the volunteer chair and pick doing something you think you may enjoy. I'm pretty sure if you work as a volunteer for a few hours you'll not be a stranger for long.

Stan Herman
    Volunteer (RA and MOA)
    MOA Ambassador
    MOA Director
    Live this day.

first timer

Got it, volunteer, and the beer tent. I think I can handle both of those. Thanks guys, looking forward to the rally.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Volunteer at the beer tent!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Coming through soon:)

Oklahoma is in my route East again this year. ANY tips for better than average riding through there? I've done it a few times over, but always open to new suggestions. I have Kansas and Oklahoma, so I cross over somewhere on my way to Oark,Arkanasas GSGiant. I did the panhandle, all the way across OK. recently, so looking for more. Byways are always better. Randy

BK..
    I will be a newbie too.. Moore OK is also pretty close to my route to the ralley..
    If you would like to meet up and ride together im in.. I will be coming through on thursday morning ish.. plan to make it all the way to sadlia..

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Volunteer at the beer tent!
    +1, though I like to work the gate. There's nothing like watching the bikes roll in with all their gear.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Oklahoma is in my route East again this year. ANY tips for better than average riding through there? I've done it a few times over, but always open to new suggestions. I have Kansas and Oklahoma, so I cross over somewhere on my way to Oark,Arkanasas GSGiant. I did the panhandle, all the way across OK. recently, so looking for more. Byways are always better. Randy
    Hi Randy,
    Not really unless you want to meander up NE on the Old Hwy 66. You can catch it west of OKC and it takes you NE towards MO. I'm leaving for the rally Wed morning but if you plan to come thru before then, let me know and I'll come meet up with you and buy you something cold to drink. POPS is restaurant in Arcadia OK near the old round barn that seems to catch a lot of travelers attention. It has about every soda pop made and pretty good burgers, shakes, etc.
    Mike
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by unclebudintx View Post
    BK..
    I will be a newbie too.. Moore OK is also pretty close to my route to the ralley..
    If you would like to meet up and ride together im in.. I will be coming through on thursday morning ish.. plan to make it all the way to sadlia..
    I've been recruited as a security volunteer so I'm headed out Wed morning but let's meet up while we're there.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrnrd View Post
    I just attended the RA rally and met a few people that were nice to talk to. I'm not much of a party guy but thought it might be a good idea for us first timers at the MOA rally set up a time and place to meet up and introduce ourselves to one another. It would be good to share ideas and maybe help make the rally better for us. I'm new to the BMW world and looking to learn all I can about my bike and other things Beemer related or just riding in general. If anyone is interested, let's set up a time and place to get together. The rally coordinators may already have a first timer get together already planned, I will be there if they do.
    Mike, I'm new to the rally myself, riding from a relatively close location (DeSoto MO) and would welcome the chance to meet at the other newbie's at the fair. I am set-up to work the registration area on Wednesday evening in the grave-yard shift, (5 to11, I think) so if you are around about that time,,,, I'm one of the older guys with little hair and a gray mustache.... Should be easy to spot.... I'd be happy to meet other newbies at a give time also.....

See you at the fair..... (Sounds like a saying from the 1904 St. Louis world's fair!)

There is a friendly group hanging at the receiving area. You can work a little or not. Also you can get good advice and see how one small section works.

Ben and Karen
    Receiving chairs