Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leather...or textile?

Talking Texile

Back in the day it was leather.... now with the times changing I am opting for textile.... why? Lighter, breathes better, waterproof, more versitile... nuff said...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

I like the looks and feel of leather, but textile is more practical for rain protection and cooler in summer. So I split it... leather pants and textile jacket.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Textile.. for all the reasons given above, and the ability to have one riding suit for all my riding, year-round (I ride from around 30F-100F..)

Plus I'm WAY over how I look.. that ship sailed a long long time ago. When I ordered my last 'stich from Rider Warehouse the order girls were having problems sizing me. I finally emailed Andy, who called and we discussed the fit.. once I explained what I looked like:

He had no problem fitting me..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

switched to leather and I live in Florida ! no heat issue if it's the right design, material and quality. Same with safety, I had a custom fit 2 piece made by www.alne-leder.de last year, Kangaroo and all the best protectors build in. Fits like a glove which also means that the protectors will not move out of place during impact, hard to accomplish with textile. Leather is hydrophobic treated and will not soak up water. Kangaroo leather is much lighter then regular leather while over 100% more abrasion resistant. Very comfortable even on the longest trips. Yes I will still wear rain gear if needed, no big deal. Cost me about 2k but my skin is worth it.
    Why would there be a difference between a racer and touring or street riding ? a fall is a fall, racers have to be comfortable and not get hot ...

na1g
    My comment on racers wearing leather was only to make the point that if protection is the only concern, leather is the way to go. Good quality leather, not department store stuff. And racers wear lots of armor inside the leather. Airbags now, too.

That said, I ride in an Olympia AST hi-viz textile suit because I'm willing to make some compromises for comfort, conspicuity, weather and cost over leather's protection. And I cringe every time I see a rider in shorts, sneaks and tank top.

pete

at the end we all need to be comfortable with what we wear, literally and mentally. Came off the bike twice back in the days and leather saved my skin (and the suit was still usable). Yes the guys in shorts or jeans and t shirt...ask them to run down the street and take a belly dive onto the asphalt and see how they react, that would be a 10-15 mph spill max...

Quote Originally Posted by 73huttl View Post
    switched to leather and I live in Florida ! no heat issue if it's the right design, material and quality. Same with safety, I had a custom fit 2 piece made by www.alne-leder.de last year, Kangaroo and all the best protectors build in. Fits like a glove which also means that the protectors will not move out of place during impact, hard to accomplish with textile. Leather is hydrophobic treated and will not soak up water. Kangaroo leather is much lighter then regular leather while over 100% more abrasion resistant. Very comfortable even on the longest trips. Yes I will still wear rain gear if needed, no big deal. Cost me about 2k but my skin is worth it.
    Why would there be a difference between a racer and touring or street riding ? a fall is a fall, racers have to be comfortable and not get hot ...
    Is there a USA dealer for ALNE products
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

maybe next year

i've been wearing text' the last couple a few seasons, and happily, but someday when I have a wad o' money burning a hole, I'm curious about some of the new leather riding gear. I know Aerostitch has one purported to be cool in the heat, warm in the cold and possibly waterproof as well. I think BMW also makes "comfy" leather duds.

...'cause it looks buh-dass!

Harley riders dress like pirates, BMW riders like armadillos.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post

Harley riders dress like pirates, BMW riders like armadillos.
    like it!
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Yeah - not so much

Quote Originally Posted by 26667 View Post
    i've been wearing text' the last couple a few seasons, and happily, but someday when I have a wad o' money burning a hole, I'm curious about some of the new leather riding gear. I know Aerostitch has one purported to be cool in the heat, warm in the cold and possibly waterproof as well. I think BMW also makes "comfy" leather duds.

brow
    So the perforated leathers offered at a very steep price by Aerostich don't quite seem to work as advertised. Two years ago a riding pal of mine wore his to Utah in July and he nearly passed out from the heat - the ventilation is not up to the ad copy. Mesh with Armor turns out to be a better - thought not as neat looking - solution.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Racers wear leather, on the race track when they are racing. What do they wear on the street?
    I only ride on the street.
    The race track is a rather different environment than the street. And so is the effort for racing.
    There is no question that some of the man made products perform better than natural products.
    dc
    And they have umbrella girls for when they're stopped. I usually don't.
    09 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    Is there a USA dealer for ALNE products
    sadly no, I go to Germany a couple times a year and had it done at the shop. They will do it while taking your own measurements and sending them in, I know they have sent some suites to the US before. Send them a email and see what they say. I would assume that someone will make a custom suit here in the US as well. Mine has a "touring cut" for a little more upright position and not as tight as a race cut.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    me: leather pants and tex jacket... but jacket's getting way too old so looking for a new (or new to me) jacket .... leather.

Mary: all armored leather

qualifying note: we also have mesh jackets with armor and while much cooler it feels so much less capable in a spill. With an older K1100 we take our heat with us as well - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA