Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When to replace your Helmet.

It's not the usage or mint condition

The stuff that goes into the helmet to protect your head is not made of metal but polymer. Derivatives of plastics deteriorate over a period of time, hence, it reduces the protection required to protect your head. A brand new helmet not worn for 7 years needs to rest in peace.

But it doesn't mean that it won't protect you in the event of a crash, it would just protect less. How much less is anyone's guess.

I bet the riders who wear "beanie" helmets NEVER replace them! After all, how can time reduce the zero protection they offered when new?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    I just want a new cool helmet and this thread has gone a long way to convincing my wife it's a necessary expenditure.

Now don't tell her.....

Don't tell me what? And why do you insist on leaving your laptop open.

Thanks to everyone for the input. It was very helpful.

Age plays a part in replacing helmets more importately is use and abuse
    Any helmet put to the test in a accident should be replaced
    If the helmet looks bad its probably time to get a new one

Does anybody know if an Arai dealer will be at the Rally?
    The only difference between me and a madman... is that I'm not mad...DALI
    1990 K75T-- paint code 666
    1973 R75/5-- toaster curry orange
    2001 325xit-- titanium silver

Rally Rat
    "The Service Pavillion" is scheduled to be there.

I vote for you looking fo a new one soon. In my MSF course, the instructor addressed this issue by asking people to remember those old white strofoam coolers everyone used to have. How many people saw those self-disintegrate over time. Well many helmets have a similar type foam. While not exactly the same, you get the idea. The helmets age over time.

So do like others have said. Donate it to MSF classes, hospitals, EMS groups, whomever. But get a new one for your head every so many years.

Ride safe everyone. And I thank you all for contributing to this great forum.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

I don't think there has been a head injury that has been blamed on a Old Helmet

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I bet the riders who wear "beanie" helmets NEVER replace them! After all, how can time reduce the zero protection they offered when new?
    Odd, my beanie helmet saved my life when I got hit.

As to replacement, 5 years is the maximum you want to go. If you wear a helmet regularly, you'll compress the foam over time and compromise the fit. As much as I ride, I've never had a helmet fit right after about 2 years.

Just bought a decade-plus old fancy bell star helmet, new in box. Wore it on a commute last week. (evidently older helmets do well in high pressure clean air, but make more noise than a harrier in low pressure dirty air). Placed helmet on seat. When I returned, the entire thin gray foam layer, the veneer between the styrofoam and the plush terry liner that touches your head, had detached and lay in a pile on the seat. Evidently that's the weak (age) link on a bell star. Going to replace and reglue.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

I'm surprised that it's intact. The foam in my 40 yr old Super Magnum turned to dust.

I think this was nearly dust. No piece bigger than an inch. Actual business-end foam in same condition as more modern helmets. But the wispy cosmetic stuff was done.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Thumbs up

Unless stored in a NASA-grade darkened, air-tight vacumn chamber, the styrofoam that cushions your head from within when you crash will become stiff (hardens) over time - may even start to powder.

After 5-7 years past manufacture date - replace.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

15. 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM