Thread: 2012 R1200GS Service Schedule

Hybrid View

Question 2012 R1200GS Service Schedule

It's easy to find earlier R1200GS Service or Maintenance Checklists on line. However, my local dealer says that 2012 GS uses a "dynamic" approach based on mileage and conditions, and therefore there is no published checklist for the 6000 mile service.

Have others run into this?

At around 6500 miles, my 2012 GS service indicator just came on and not sure what I should do other than: 1) Change the oil and filter; or, 2) Take it to the dealer and have him connect to diagnostics.

Any help appreciated.

Mike

i also asked my local dealer what the cost of a 6000 mile service is on a R1200R and they said much the same thing.... basically it's going to depend on what it needs... The question I had was "if it needs something, shouldn't that be covered under warranty, if it's not brake pads, oil, etc?" and it's safe to assume at 6000 miles, most of the wear and tare is still going to be good... I guess it gives them an open checkbook to get you in on a $500 service when it's just a glorified oil change or something.
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer.
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit (on cragslist).

6000 mile = set valves and re-torque the heads. fluids and filters.
    this is going to hurt.

What's your basis?

I appreciate the comments about what you think it might need. However, I'm really looking for a factual reference from BMW.

My 600;

At 600m was my last dealer service and it was 300$+ as I remember, GSA1200. At 82000+ now, all self done, since the 600m one... I think th 6000m one is about 400-700$ depending on model and fairing,etc...KLT1200 were the top end ones, labor intensive and non faired, easy engine access bikes much less around 400$. This is general, but close. I have learned the BC(on board computer) will notify you of required dealer attention, beyond basic service. It does this too, as mine did the BC note telling me about my 6000m one, but never again has it spoke. Warnings(many of'em) are built in, for the most serious issues, including bulbs out!!!!!. !!!! is the indicator, yellow triangle. Some red ones(warnings) exist too for abs, etc....Mine never come on, I'm happy. Low fuel I get the yellow one. Randy

Close this one out...

I suppose I ought to report the facts as they pertain to me and my 2012 R1200GS.

In March, I had the dealer perform the 600 mile break-in service according to the BMW guidelines. The cost was $258.92.

At 6500 miles, the dashboard indicated "service". I changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I then took it to the local dealer and he reset the service indicator. The diagnostic system did not report any alarm conditions or indicate that any other work was required.

The parts for the 6500 mile service that I performed at home cost $93.94 for oil, filter, o-rings, air filter, and a Butler map .

I purchased a new rear Tourance which the dealer installed for $52.25 incl tax. He did not charge for reading the diagnostic system and resetting the service indicator.

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by 15165 View Post
    6000 mile = set valves and re-torque the heads....
    Are you certain camheads require the heads to be "re-torqued" at 6,000 miles?
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Are you certain camheads require the heads to be "re-torqued" at 6,000 miles?
    Actually the cam heads don't require a re-torque of the cylinder head bolt unless the head is removed.

Unlike the previous boxer designs (air head, oil head, hex head) there is no re-torque of the heads required at the 600 mi service. The service check sheets and maintenance DVD bear this out. In other words the cam head does not require hear re-torque at any regular service level.
    2013 R1200 GSW

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Actually the cam heads don't require a re-torque of the cylinder head bolt unless the head is removed.

Unlike the previous boxer designs (air head, oil head, hex head) there is no re-torque of the heads required at the 600 mi service. The service check sheets and maintenance DVD bear this out. In other words the cam head does not require hear re-torque at any regular service level.
    Where can I find the official source for this info?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by 15165 View Post
    6000 mile = set valves and re-torque the heads. fluids and filters.
    this is going to hurt.
    First, on the up to '09's the re torque was on the first or 600 mile service.
    Second, it is no longer required on the '10's and up.

Lots of incorrect info is creeping in here.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

Thanks for the information

I'm still hearing conflicting info on the 600 mile service. Is there BMW documentation on whether the heads needs to be torqued?
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    Thanks for the information

I'm still hearing conflicting info on the 600 mile service. Is there BMW documentation on whether the heads needs to be torqued?
    In post #19 there are 3 different sources of info on the camheads and none of them mention anything about heads needing to be torqued.

Also, you can check this site and there is no such thing as head bolts needing attention for the camheads: http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx

I'm not sure you'll get anything more official than these sources.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com