Thread: Brake Flush K1300GT

Brake Flush K1300GT

I just finished a brake flush on my '07 R1200R. There sitting beside it, is my '09 K1300GT, which also likely needs a flush. I do most maintenance on the K except valves, but have not attempted to flush the brakes. How complex is the brake flush on the K1300GT?

David

Go to the Hex Head DYI forum and look at the brake flush - just as easy

Here's the link - http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36364

Used to have a 1300 but flipped it for the GSA before it was due but seriously nothing complicated
    Last edited by Semper_Fi; 06-14-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Added link for ease of reference
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Brake Flush K1300GT

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Go to the Hex Head DYI forum and look at the brake flush - just as easy

Here's the link - http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36364

Used to have a 1300 but flipped it for the GSA before it was due but seriously nothing complicated
    Thank you sir!

I have a large vac for oil changes but I do not have the smaller unit. I was hoping I could pump the brake fluid with the hand and foot levers. I guess I will be investing in a small vac pump. Thanks again.

David

I was watching Mike at Anderwerks bleeding the systems on my "new" ST, and he was using their shop pressure bleeder to vacuum black residue out of the clutch master cylinder.

I didn't know they could do this with them.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

robinpolk

Smile Brake fluid change

On my 2006 Rt I was able to do the brake fluid flush/replacement without a vacuum pump. The hand and foot levers will do a fine job of moving the fluid. With the servo assist on the 2006 you have to be careful or it will pump the resevoir dry and get air into the lines. I didn't listen to the Service guy at my closest BMW dealership that told me I couldn't do it myself because I didn't have their computer. Just followed the instructions in the tech subforum, repeated to insure no bubbles. No problem. This year I'll put speed bleeders on the nine bleed fittings and make it even simpler.

The K1300GT and the later K1200GT without the servo brakes are straight forward to flush. No special techniques or tools required, it can be done simply by pumping through with the lever use a vacuum bleader to make it a bit easier and quicker. I like to use my vacuum bleader to fiirst suck the resevoir out so I don't have to work the full volume through the system.

Just don't use brake fluid in the clutch as its filled with mineral oil and is not really necessary to change.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashbaugh View Post
    Thank you sir!

I have a large vac for oil changes but I do not have the smaller unit. I was hoping I could pump the brake fluid with the hand and foot levers. I guess I will be investing in a small vac pump. Thanks again.

David
    I have a large vac also for oil changes and use that for the brake flush as well on all of my vehicles including the K1300S...just used a couple of adapters to size down the hose as well as putting an on/off valve in the hose next to the pump.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Seems like there was some issue with the ABS systems and vacuum bleeders. Might have been with the servo types...don't remember.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")