Thread: Cry Me a River in Money Creek Minnysoda.

Hybrid View

Cry Me a River in Money Creek Minnysoda.

So, last weekend, I left for another favorite rally of mine, the Hiawatha Rally in Money Creek, Minnesota. This is another one I have gone to for over 20 years, Bluff Country is excellent at this time of year. Money Creek is 30 miles or so West from La Crosse, Wisconsin. It's North and mostly West of me, around 250 miles or so.
    They predicted 20% chance of rain by me, yet none there, so I decided the Northern route above I-94 was best, Hwy 16 to Hwy 60 into Spring Green. Unfortunately, I went that way 2 weekends ago to the GRRR.[/URL] The first part of that RR is the same route, but I did stop and get some new pictures, and the route from Spring Green (Home of one Taliesin) differs a lot.
    Enjoy!

So, I packed the bike and do a quick sky check. Meh! 53 degrees though, so I had the heated liner on under the air gear.
    Gone by 9 am

I stopped in Columbus, on Hwy 60 at around 10:30, for an Irish Breakfast.

You can see the curves coming.

I don't think this is a hex symbol, but I took a shot at speed anyway.

Taking Hwy 60, I am heading west until I come to Prarie Du Sac and Sauk City. You cross over the Wisconsin, and run along it from one town to the next, as they "touch". Here is a shot of the river from Hwy 60 in Prarie Du Sac.

About a mile down, we hit the next town. They must have some connection to this Science Fiction writer, and I never noticed that before. I have read his work.

On towards Lodi, I don't want to get stuck in there again.
    Apologies to CCR 3
    The roads keep getting nicer.

Then it flattens out a bit after Lodi until we get to Spring Green, around 20 miles, and Spring Green is 120 from my house.
    Just outside of SG, History:

You can see where the river is, south of here.

I hit the gas station in Spring Green, tank up, Chicken Tender and water up, and ponder the next 133 miles of mostly 2 lane to Money Creek. I will be heading up North on Hwy G around 20 miles or so, much through Amish Country, it's a nice road. I pick up a few west heading back roads to hit Hwy P, in the Kickapoo River Valley. From there a long ride West on nice 2 lane into Coon Vally, 15 miles from La Crosse. Google says 98 miles to Coon Vally from Spring Green, and what a ride!

View Larger Map
    You can see the coming curves on Hwy G.

I was dying to get a picture of this.

What a great curvy road, I am blasting alon...whoops, CHEESE!

G is nice, but here we are, just outside of Hillsboro (where I went for gas, when I went on reserve right as I turned on P! ) at our goal.

This sums it up best: Roy cam.

Don't ask how I filmed that.3
    It's such an enjoyable road, but I quickly reach Coon Vally. I get on Hwy 14 and make it into La Crosse around 3:30.
    That sucks at Rush hour when it's hot, but I cross over the river, buy a sub at Subway, pack it, and head into Bluff Country.
    Well worth it.

I pull into Money Creek about 4:30, register and go to find my brother and friends.
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 06-09-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

County road P. Yes
    It is so beautiful, just ran that when I saw you at the GR tree.
    Plunging into picture perfect little valleys, some with trouts streams even.

I might be mistaken but I think JC is singin about Lodi, California.
    Get you a Hero2 my friend, at least for the video youre scarin me dude.

Really nice photos. Looks like a beautiful part of the country.

The sign on the barn reminds me of what I see every day at work... the radiation symbol.

Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    County road P. Yes
    It is so beautiful, just ran that when I saw you at the GR tree.
    Plunging into picture perfect little valleys, some with trouts streams even.

Get you a Hero2 my friend, at least for the video youre scarin me dude.
    I thought it was Texas?
    Hmm.

No can do on the Hero2, my old Airhead can't support that load on the electrics.

So, I set up my tent, putting the rain fly on the wrong way on purpose, because I like doing things over again.

It was good to be among friends, and my brother.
    I ate my sub and we wandered down the hill along Hwy 26, which bisects the campground, to hear the band.
    The MN BMW Club throws an excellent rally, and the music has been getting better and better, IMO, and always good.

You will now see a short video of them and a man who seems to lack situational awareness.
    Kevin from the MN BMW Club poked his face in there and I started laughing, so I shut it off. Sorry.

They started a fire and I sat there enjoying the band for a while, but as the sun went behind the hill on Hwy 26, it got cool. I stayed as long as I could, and by the time I walked back to the campsite, our fire was going. I ended up staying there the rest of the night. It was a great night for a campfire, and we had some good times. So much so we did the same thing well into the next day 3

Saturday was great. I slept a bit late, thanks to the trees on the east side of my tent, and we sat and talked with folks and just relaxed, We finally got our butts moving, to take my friend Ron to the Overlook in Rushford around 20 miles away.

Our Campground is on 26 just of of 76.Taking Hwy 76 south and east a bit, we pick up 16 in Houston to Rushford, and go. Ron has never been to this rally before, and we had to take him this way because 26 has been repaired with gravel, for some reason. Here is the road we took, it snakes through a subdivision then you see a scenic overlook. I think it becomes Hwy 30.

Near the top, it becomes gravel (Sorry Ron 3), and a deer ran out right in front of me just as we got on it, but not close enough to have to stop or slow.
    There is also a Burr Oak tree on the top well over a hundred years old but they had a Wedding by it so I could not get pictures. There were some other people from the rally there eating by the parking, so we went down to the overlook.

Scotty and my Brother went back another way, so Ron and I ended up going back the way we came on Hwy 16.

Coming back on 16, I saw this in Houston. There was also one like this in Rushford on that hill we were on.

After we got back, I got a picture of Tom Lowdermilk's tent, the host of Sidestand Up. He forgot his tent stakes, so he bought 8 29 cent screwdrivers.

Ingenious!

New Airstream picture for Hodag. That thing was decked out.

The Smoked Pepper Jack, String Cheese I bought at Carr Valley, and our camping Neighbor Bernie brought Cheese Curds. Cheesy comestibles!

There was no music that night, so we hung around the fire. Paper even came over to shoot the breeze, that was a highlight for me. I was up until around 1, then called it. I have to get home as soon as I can tomorrow.

So, the ride home. I first wanted to say that just because I talk about Hwy 18 or 16 to get past Madison does not mean there are no nice roads between my house and said town. I just like to get to places before Midnight and the State maps are more wrinkly in the SouthWestern quarter.

That being said, I packed up and was moving by 7:30 am. I was heading into the sun and wanted to make some time, so no pics for the first half hour. The early morning mist still hung in areas, and it was beautiful, but I needed to make time for pictures later. I head mostly west, and the last couple miles is between the river and the hills, North to La Crescnt MN and Hwy16.
    The hills are on the right, looking downriver.

The river crossing here is almost 2.5 miles with the main bridge right by La Crosse (right where my camera batteries went dead )
    You can't even see the main channel from here.

So we cross over the bridge to Hwy 14 and I pull over to change batteries, and get a shot of the world's largest 6 pack.

Also, not to belittle Hwy 14, it gets nice and scenic out of La Crosse.

We go down to Coon Valley and Hwy P, it's my addiction.

Here are some more shots of the Kickapoo river valley.

Out of the Valley, on Hwy V, I see a house I passed once, and drove past this time, and I thought, not today. It called to me, even though I suck at taking pictures.

Hay! Birds!

I hit Spring Green shortly after that, and blasted home after filling up with gas, arriving around 2:30.
    It was a great weekend, Thanks for riding along.

Worthy report!

I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    No, they were singing about Lodi, NJ. You haven't been stuck until you've been stuck in Jersey.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Very nice, Roy!

But who snuck the jelly in with your cheese?
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Community food table, I had no control over content.