Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Givi E 55 topcase help

  1. #1
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493

    Question Givi E 55 topcase help

    The handle is supposed to pop up when the key is turned to the right. But mine doesn't. If I press the handle it opens the case.

    But I have no way to carry it once off the bike.

    Any suggestions?
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  2. #2
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,409

    Cool

    That's a head scratcher.

    I just went out to the garage and turned the key to the right - handle popped out - then pressed the big black button and my Givi 55 released from its mount, handle at the ready.

    Good luck with this problem.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  3. #3
    Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    840
    I have two of these (2 bikes) and one of them did this at first I kept working it over and over and finally it popped once although barely. It still won't always open in cold weather - might be a fit/finish thing with yours kind of like mine. Good luck.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

  4. #4
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    That's a head scratcher.

    I just went out to the garage and turned the key to the right - handle popped out - then pressed the big black button and my Givi 55 released from its mount, handle at the ready.

    Good luck with this problem.
    Hi Kevin,



    Wanna trade?????
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  5. #5
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I have two of these (2 bikes) and one of them did this at first I kept working it over and over and finally it popped once although barely. It still won't always open in cold weather - might be a fit/finish thing with yours kind of like mine. Good luck.
    Thanks Ken. It was off the bike when I bought it as there was also a Givi Traffic bag attached to the mount. I mounted the 55 on the bike and closed the handle. That's when I found out it wouldn't pop back out.

    Hopefully there is a solution?
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  6. #6
    Moondog moondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pooler, Ga. (Savannah area)
    Posts
    898
    There maybe something wrapped up in the inside mechanism, piece of clothes, etc. I have to be careful there is nothing interfering with the latch inside before closing it
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

    1983 R100RT (and broke my leg)
    1996 K1100RS-SE

  7. #7
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    There maybe something wrapped up in the inside mechanism, piece of clothes, etc. I have to be careful there is nothing interfering with the latch inside before closing it
    Thanks for the suggestion.

    It opens and closes just fine with no problems or binding. What it will not do is release the handle so that I can carry the bag by the handle.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

  8. #8
    It is what it is. Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Flyover Country = Southern Illinois
    Posts
    6,493
    So I took it apart today.

    It seems that it will open if I put a lot of pressure on the key after turning it all the way to the right where it feels like it shouldn't go any more.

    Didn't seem to be any way to adjust it to open sooner.

    But at leats it will open.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

    Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •