Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you contact management about warranty issues?

Dixie, the land of cotton

How do you contact management about warranty issues?

2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy
    Customer service is able pressure the rep and the dealer. You have to be persistent. And, you may have to negotiate. BMW generally requires all parties to step up for part of the after warranty cost, the company, the dealer, and the customer.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Jack makes a good point. At 41,000 miles the warranty on the bike has expired. But the repair parts and labor should carry their own continuing warranty on that work, so this could be a job warranty issue. That is what needs to be followed up. When was the work done? How many times? By whom? Did the work carry the BMW parts/labor warranty? Still in effect? If the service writer is hostile, how about the shop owner?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

This may not be of any help, but the right dealer will go to bat for you to convince BMW to step up to the plate and assume some responsibility. My dealer has talked BMW Canada into underwriting major out-of-warranty repairs that have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Dixie, the land of cotton

Thanks for your suggestions on how to get help on warranty issues

Thanks for your replies PGlaves, cjack and 32232.
    I am posting the repairs done to the bike, would you guys mind reviewing and give me your opinion on what is going on with the bike. I have the bike in the shop for another probable output, input or counter balance seal leak.

I do not think the bike is repairable. Thanks for your input.

2005 R1200GS vin: WB10317A.........
    Owner: Randy in Collierville TN
    07-14-2007 Miles: 12,555 First reported oil leak. Service writer said to monitor leak
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    04-09-2008 Miles: 15,444 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0004995-134
    Defect Code: 1111584800 Shaft sealing ring
    Output shaft
    Clutch end leaking, installed new clutch
    Clutch Plate BMW 21217697737, Shaft Seal BMW 23127683995, Drive Shaft Seal BMW23127656019
    Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10-22-2008 Miles: 3,847??? Little Rock BMW Warranty 0006037-1083
    Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
    Input shaft, front leaking
    Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086
    02-04-2010 Miles: 27,538 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0008199-3346
    Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
    Input shaft, front leaking
    Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086, Compensating shaft seal BMW 1117685005
    07-28-2010 Miles: 30,606 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
    Defect Code: 1127064800 Shaft sealing ring, Compensating Shaft
    Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
    05-20-2011 Miles: 36,438 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
    Output rear/ cylinder clutch
    Output Cylinder clutch BMW 21527724542, Seal, Clutch M/C 23127705085

Norm
    You do a web search for "lemon laws" your state. The return will also pop up lawyer's who do that. Go visit their site. They will contact BMW for you without charge to you. You will be amazed at how quick things get resolved. It really worked for me.

does consumers reports or

somebody else rank moyorcycle manufacturers for 'warranty support'?

i'm guessing bmw may not be first.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

You may be right on the unrepairable comment. The sealing ring for the compensating shaft was changed to a larger size in about '08 which should have helped eliminate that leak. BUT, I remember some of them leaking on the showroom floor. BMW said just ride it 50 miles and it'll quit. And I think most of them did. So to fix that one, get an '08.
    As to the clutch cyl leak which has caused all your other clutch issues, BMW went to mineral oil instead of brake fluid on the clutch circuit. Fewer issues with the mineral oil version, but I think that changed by '05. One thing some have done is to drill a small hole in the tray under the clutch cylinder where it could leak so the oil can run out instead of contaminating the clutch.
    The last two of your fixes are still under warranty...that's little consolation, but if you like the bike otherwise...

I have decided that there is no other brand for me. When a BMW is running, it's the best. I have been very frustrated by some of the stuff like putting 7 fuel gauge strips in the tanks of our K1200Ses...and loose cam chains...and having to put a chain guard in 3 of them at my own expense to prevent the engine from exploding...and having to change the key antenna once on the way to Wyoming, and once on the way to Oregon, both in gas stations...and endless recalls, I forget the rest of the crap, drill a hole here, change these bolts, upgrade this to keep it from dying on a hot day while riding up a steep hill on a curve in traffic, etc. I figure I just need to pay for the bike, and plan on paying for the bike again as I ride it.
    But when they are running, they're the best
    My other bike is a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    You may be right on the unrepairable comment. The sealing ring for the compensating shaft was changed to a larger size in about '08 which should have helped eliminate that leak. BUT, I remember some of them leaking on the showroom floor. BMW said just ride it 50 miles and it'll quit. And I think most of them did. So to fix that one, get an '08.
    As to the clutch cyl leak which has caused all your other clutch issues, BMW went to mineral oil instead of brake fluid on the clutch circuit. Fewer issues with the mineral oil version, but I think that changed by '05. One thing some have done is to drill a small hole in the tray under the clutch cylinder where it could leak so the oil can run out instead of contaminating the clutch.
    The last two of your fixes are still under warranty...that's little consolation, but if you like the bike otherwise...

I have decided that there is no other brand for me. When a BMW is running, it's the best. I have been very frustrated by some of the stuff like putting 7 fuel gauge strips in the tanks of our K1200Ses...and loose cam chains...and having to put a chain guard in 3 of them at my own expense to prevent the engine from exploding...and having to change the key antenna once on the way to Wyoming, and once on the way to Oregon, both in gas stations...and endless recalls, I forget the rest of the crap, drill a hole here, change these bolts, upgrade this to keep it from dying on a hot day while riding up a steep hill on a curve in traffic, etc. I figure I just need to pay for the bike, and plan on paying for the bike again as I ride it.
    But when they are running, they're the best
    Not looking to start an argument but you don't make a very good argument for riding BMW.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 2bikemike View Post
    Not looking to start an argument but you don't make a very good argument for riding BMW.
    Heh...I don't do I. But keep in mind that with all the frustration I've had since the bulletproof '70s airheads, and the similar K bike bricks, I'm still riding them and I love it. Surely other manufacturers have had similar spells, I don't know about them, but surely. So my case for riding BMWs is the big grin on my face...when it's running.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Having to change ignition points every few thousand miles doesn't count as "bulletproof" to me.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Having to change ignition points every few thousand miles doesn't count as "bulletproof" to me.
    Yeah...it wasn't a car, but I could ride to the west coast and back without any issues. I don't remember having to change them to keep going...maybe to let the water out of the front cover
    My other bike is a BMW.

scqtt
    Your local shop is a Suzuki shop with a BMW logo on the building.

I think you are out of luck on a 7 year old bike, I hate to say this, but (it seems) with newer BMWs sometimes you get a bad one.

I would dump it and if you still love the brand travel north 180ish miles to a real BMW dealer and buy a new bike from them.

They sell their BMWs dirt cheap in Memphis, but you get little support after the sale.....when people bust their a55 to save $500 on a bike it does not seem like much in the way of savings in these circumstances.

Best of luck, sounds like a tough spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
    Your local shop is a Suzuki shop with a BMW logo on the building.

I think you are out of luck on a 7 year old bike, I hate to say this, but (it seems) with newer BMWs sometimes you get a bad one.

I would dump it and if you still love the brand travel north 180ish miles to a real BMW dealer and buy a new bike from them.

They sell their BMWs dirt cheap in Memphis, but you get little support after the sale.....when people bust their a55 to save $500 on a bike it does not seem like much in the way of savings in these circumstances.

Best of luck, sounds like a tough spot.
    He IS in warranty on the last two repairs. If u use BMW parts, u gotta 2 year warranty.
    My other bike is a BMW.

scqtt
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    He IS in warranty on the last two repairs. If u use BMW parts, u gotta 2 year warranty.

The parts warranty means nothing......how much is that? The labor for changing those parts is not covered is it? (I'm not certain)

Again, the right dealer makes all the difference in the world. The wrong dealer makes it a royal PITA.