Thread: How do you contact management about warranty issues?

Hybrid View

Dixie, the land of cotton

How do you contact management about warranty issues?

2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    2005 1200GS with 41,000 miles.

I would appreciate help on how to reach someone with authority on warranty issues.

I have contacted BMW customer support and they are very nice but do not have any authority.

The local BMW service writer is "not friendly or very helpful" and sees my concerns as a problem that he would like to avoid(repeated engine output, transmission input seal replacement).

The local dealer said that I am not able to talk to the BMW regional service rep.

All I want to do is talk to someone with BMW that has authority on warranty issues.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Randy
    Customer service is able pressure the rep and the dealer. You have to be persistent. And, you may have to negotiate. BMW generally requires all parties to step up for part of the after warranty cost, the company, the dealer, and the customer.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Jack makes a good point. At 41,000 miles the warranty on the bike has expired. But the repair parts and labor should carry their own continuing warranty on that work, so this could be a job warranty issue. That is what needs to be followed up. When was the work done? How many times? By whom? Did the work carry the BMW parts/labor warranty? Still in effect? If the service writer is hostile, how about the shop owner?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

This may not be of any help, but the right dealer will go to bat for you to convince BMW to step up to the plate and assume some responsibility. My dealer has talked BMW Canada into underwriting major out-of-warranty repairs that have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Thanks for your suggestions on how to get help on warranty issues

Thanks for your replies PGlaves, cjack and 32232.
    I am posting the repairs done to the bike, would you guys mind reviewing and give me your opinion on what is going on with the bike. I have the bike in the shop for another probable output, input or counter balance seal leak.

I do not think the bike is repairable. Thanks for your input.

2005 R1200GS vin: WB10317A.........
    Owner: Randy in Collierville TN
    07-14-2007 Miles: 12,555 First reported oil leak. Service writer said to monitor leak
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    04-09-2008 Miles: 15,444 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0004995-134
    Defect Code: 1111584800 Shaft sealing ring
    Output shaft
    Clutch end leaking, installed new clutch
    Clutch Plate BMW 21217697737, Shaft Seal BMW 23127683995, Drive Shaft Seal BMW23127656019
    Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10-22-2008 Miles: 3,847??? Little Rock BMW Warranty 0006037-1083
    Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
    Input shaft, front leaking
    Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086
    02-04-2010 Miles: 27,538 Little Rock BMW Warranty 0008199-3346
    Defect Code: 2312004800 Sealing ring
    Input shaft, front leaking
    Transmission Input seal BMW 23127705086, Compensating shaft seal BMW 1117685005
    07-28-2010 Miles: 30,606 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
    Defect Code: 1127064800 Shaft sealing ring, Compensating Shaft
    Compensating Shaft Seal BMW 11117685005
    05-20-2011 Miles: 36,438 Bloodworth Motorcycles Warranty
    Output rear/ cylinder clutch
    Output Cylinder clutch BMW 21527724542, Seal, Clutch M/C 23127705085

Norm
    You do a web search for "lemon laws" your state. The return will also pop up lawyer's who do that. Go visit their site. They will contact BMW for you without charge to you. You will be amazed at how quick things get resolved. It really worked for me.

does consumers reports or

somebody else rank moyorcycle manufacturers for 'warranty support'?

i'm guessing bmw may not be first.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Angry BMW Service is harder to reach than the White House

WE recently went round and round with a K1600LT bike that broke down in May while we were on our road trip to New Mexico. (don't go to Sandia BMW Motorcycle Service! It is the worst and they do nothing to assist you or help you reach someone in authority. We had a gear bearing that went out and the bike had less than 14000 miles and should have been warrantied. BIG NEWS here is that if you ahve a trailer attached at any point BMW will void the service needed because they will link it to the trailer--even when it is not linked. Even when you have other service dealers stating that that is rediculous. Doesn't matter! And can you get to anyone with authority NO. It took us until this week to finally get something done--we had to leave the bike behind on two separate occasions and only received a "good will jesture on the first $6000 repair. The second repair only 500 miles after the first was a "covered" area. Hmmmm? In the end we had to make two flights at our expense and one u-haul trip home. We recovered only $500 on the first uhaul trip. On the second trip --well Trip interrupt does not take credit card statements or bank statements showing the airline and travel expense. So if you book online with e-tickets--good luck! We are still trying to get something on the $3000 in trip costs and it is not looking good here either. We actually sold the BMW to Sandia just to get away from the poor quality and service issues. We had tried to contact our liason, but that did little to assist us. In the end, I wrote lots of emails, made lots of calls, and pretty much decided there is no authority at BMW--they must be ghosts!:

160247, I thought that I had it bad.

I finally found a way to get into BMW NA. The local dealer said to call customer service. The Customer Service rep are very nice, and after repeatedly calling them I finally got them to bump me up to the next level. I spoke to a young lady named Kara or Kari. She was very nice and did contact Bloodworth BMW service writer David Bloodworth. But the Customer Service based out of Ohio does not have any authority to get things done. I tried for a week to reach a higher level at BMW NA. I was going to do a letter writing campaign to the higher ups, but I could not find many names other than the CEO to write to. While I was on the BMW NA home page I saw their facebook button and posted on to their facebook page. All I posted was that I have had several seal failures and "does anyone know how to get in touch with BMW NA higher level Customer Service". The next day I got a call from them and they have been very helpful. I should know next week what they are going to do about my leaking seals again on my 20005 GS with 40,000 miles on it. I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by 160247 View Post
    WE recently went round and round with a K1600LT bike that broke down in May while we were on our road trip to New Mexico. (don't go to Sandia BMW Motorcycle Service! It is the worst and they do nothing to assist you or help you reach someone in authority.
    Wow. That's a pretty damning statement about Sandia BMW for a first post on this forum, and completely anonymous.

Fortunately - over the years I have learned that not everything your read on the internet is true. Considering that my experience with Sandia BMW, on both the car and motorcycle sides, has been at least as good as most BMW dealerships I've done business with since the 60's [started riding BMW's in 1956 on my Dad's R/60 hack] - and better than a lot - I can put your post in the "may not be completely accurate" column.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442