Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boot Choice

Combats:)

Had my Combat Lights for years now and they are bombproof. I really treat'em bad too, through all types of offroad conditions and the like. I don't consider them a hiking boot, becasue they are heavy and will wear on you. Comfy though and break in is paramount, becasue of their heavy, well made nature. Buy again, yep! Probably never have too in this lifetime. Randy

flyman, have you looked at any boots for hot weather. I am ready to replace my BMW All Season boots will look at these Sidis for waterproof boots, but also would like something with a little more ventilation.
    2013 BMW K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
    2007 BMW K1200GT - Graphite (traded)
    2004 R1150RS - Pacific Blue (sold )
    Dennis BMWMOA 150423 FingerLakes BMW Club 396 IBA 50178

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread...

My Combat Lites are, by far, the best boots I've ever owned. They're heavy and have a break in period, but after 20 months and 25,000 miles I'll never go back. Some thoughts:
    • Even though they're heavy they are cooler in the summer (I live in north Texas where it gets very hot) than Gore Tex lined mesh boots. The leather breathes that well.
    • Don't let the fact that there is no Gore Tex scare you into thinking you'll have wet feet. I treat them with leather balm and SnoSeal every few months and my feet have never been wet. Gore Tex breaks down after a couple of years, way before the rest of the boot. I can't tell you how many pair of otherwise excellent Gore Tex boots I've bought that lost their waterproof-ness after a year or two. I am now convinced that the best way to go for "waterproof" boots is superb leather that's properly treated.
    • Even thought they are heavy, they don't wear that way. They break in very well. I commute in mine and wear them all day most of the time. I wouldn'd go on a hiking trip with them, but I've had them on for a long ride and walked a good mile or two over the course of the day, and they were fine.
    • With a pair of pants on its hard to tell they're motorcycle boots since they have no Speed Racer-type designs.
    • They can be resoled!

There are a number of reviews on the Combats and Combat Lites (same boot except the Lites are shorter like a "normal" boot). Do a search and you'll find my review that I wrote a month after I bought them.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!
    Last edited by mistercindy; 05-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread...

Gore Tex breaks down after a couple of years, way before the rest of the boot. I can't tell you how many pair of otherwise excellent Gore Tex boots I've bought that lost their waterproof-ness after a year or two.
    That's strange. The Gore-Tex web site says, "The GORE-TEX?« membrane won't deteriorate with time, and our garments are guaranteed to be durably waterproof and breathable."

My understanding was they guarantee it will remain waterproof for the life of the product.

Sidi On Roads!

Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    That's strange. The Gore-Tex web site says, "The GORE-TEX?« membrane won't deteriorate with time, and our garments are guaranteed to be durably waterproof and breathable."

My understanding was they guarantee it will remain waterproof for the life of the product.
    I have never had Gore-Tex deteriorate in any of the many products I own. However, it will lose its qualities of passing water vapor while remaining waterproof if it's allowed to get dirty or through improper washing. I washed a Gore-Tex running suit once with the wrong detergent and the next time I ran in the rain I looked like the Michelin man with soap bubbles pouring out of me!
    Dan

Ed Kilner #176066
    Here's the way I understand it:

Gore-tex is bonded to another material that is on the outside of the item. If that material gets water-soaked, it won't let the Gore-tex breathe. When new, a DWR Durable Water Repellant is applied to the outer material to prevent it from getting so soaked it interferes with the process. The DWR needs to be replaced periodically.

I know this is the case for garments. Don't know what DWR is needed for boots.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post

I don't know what happens to the Gore Tex, but as I said, I've never had a pair of Gore Tex lined boots that remained waterproof over 18 months. I read a review once that said it wasn't the Gore Tex itself that leaked, but the attachment of the Gore Tex to the boot. Whether its a deterioration of the Gore Tex isn't the point so much as the Gore Tex lined boot is no longer waterproof. Offhand, I can think of one pair of BMW boots, and two pair of Oxtar/TCX boots where one boot allowed water in and my foot got soaked. Those boots were all otherwise excellent, and if I could be gauranteed dry weather I'd continue to wear them.

Interestingly, I've always felt the leak in the toe area.

I know I could contact the manufacturer, go to UPS, pay the money for shipping, send them the boots, wait for their return, etc..., and etc... What a pain. I'd rather slap some balm and SnoSeal on every few months and move on.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

On the Road

Boots

I have A pair of Aerostitch Lites. They are hard to walk in, great on the bike, but are now back in the closet. I have ordered a pair of Gasolina boots (should be here this week) and was told they are great to walk in as well as wearing while riding. They should be here this week. I have SIDI's in the closet (heel fell off) and a pair of some off brand that I bought because of price when I was young and foolish. In the meanwhile, I have a pair of hiking boots which are nearly wore out that have been the best for riding and walking. I bought the Gasolina's based on the product test in our magazine. I'll let you know...

Thanks
    Randy

On the Road
    Okay... I got my Gasolina's....... They fit like a glove. I have been wearing them for the last couple of days to help break them in. I can't believe how comfortable they are. My Aerostitch Lite's will not be coming out of the closet anytime soon.
    Check them out... These are great boots!!

Randy

Gasolinas

Rtravelbee,

I was considering them but not sure about pants. Are they only good with street pants or can you get a light pair of mesh pants tucked in?

I have the Sidi City which are now about 8 yrs old and I like them. They are great to ride with & at the end of the day you can just leave them on because they are good walking boots.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Hot Weather D-P Boots Wanted

I cannot find a set of cool, ventilated dual purpose boots for my F800GS. My SIDI Adventures are great boots, but anything over 80 degrees and my feet are cooking. Anything over 90 and I can hardly stand it.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

ozonewanderer
    in that set of high quality boots I would add the vendramini marathon steel for condsideration. I've had them for 5 years and spent everday with them on a cross country trip.g, cmfortale, fit under ir iuer bis

You can also join in on a big discusson in progress here at Adventure Rider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69599

Good luck

Randy, I'm considering the Gasolinas but the only concern I have is that they are heavy. Heavy boots bother my cranky knee. I've tried other brand MC boots and they were too heavy for me. What's your opinion of the weight?
    Thanks
    George