Thread: Replacement Positive Cable

AirandOil In NJ

Replacement Positive Cable

Hi People, I'm looking to replace my OEM battery to solenoid cable on my 1984 R80RT.

I'm thinking of one of nifty ones sold by Euro Motor Electric (EME).

My question is this: should the new cable setup have single length line that goes directly to the starter solenoid? My OEM cable goes from my positive terminal at my battery and then splits in two. The heavier of the split cable goes to the starter solenoid and a thinner, but still substantial split of the cable goes to the relay. Both of these lines are nicely soldered together at the termination point at the battery and both lines are shrink tubed.

While on EME's site today, i saw no such splitting on their replacement cable. I'd hate to buy such a cleanly finished cable from EME and then try to rig the second cable to the terminal, nor would i like to run two separate cables from the positive terminals.

I'll have a call in to EME tomorrow but i thought i'd ask you guys first for some general information.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Michael
    Mike Bellantone
    Bergen, NJ

1984 R80RT / 2012 Triumph Tiger 800R (Radio Car White)

I bought the cable from EME....its one big honking run of copper, battery to starter. My bike has a separate lead going to the starter relay. This doesn't sound like a straight up replacement for your bike.
    Gerald P
    The last thing I want to be is just like everyone else...
    1985 R80RT
    1969 Sport Fury Convertible

AirandOil In NJ
    thanks Gerald... how does yours run? Another full length going from the battery to the relay or do you have a shorter run going from the solenoid to the relay?

Thanks!

MB
    Mike Bellantone
    Bergen, NJ

You can cut off the portion of the Y running to the starter. Insulate it well. I would wrap with lug tape and then coat with liquid electrical tape. Then run the separate lead from the battery post to the starter. This will give one additional connector at the positive post.

I was forced to do this on an R1100RS when the cable to the battery shorted against the solenoid and melted most of the insulation off the wire.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

It looks like Part #: BCK-475216 cable kit from EME has a positive split cable for both the starter and relay. I don't think they sell the positive cable separate from the kit, but they may if asked.
    Stan

AH# 13238

AirandOil In NJ
    Thank you Gentlemen!
    Mike Bellantone
    Bergen, NJ