Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mesh trousers?

Cool

Above 30 mph, washed cotton (denim jeans) 'vaporizes' in about 4-6 seconds of road surface contact, due to friction. Watched it happen during a training event. Not pretty.

Go with Cordura riding pants or at least, Slider 4.0 riding jeans (Kevlar reinforced!).

Ride Safe.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Love my mesh pants but for my kind of riding the mesh jacket flows too much air and could dehydrate me on a long ride.

On our four month wander, my First Gear mesh pants do the trick. In cold I have four layers:

LD Comfort tights
    a quilted liner
    the mesh pants
    and rain pants over the top.

When it's really hot, LD Comforts and the mesh pants alone do the trick. I've been amazed at how well those pants work to cool me!

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I wear my Roadcrafter year round. Temps from 20F to about 100F - and I've never passed out from the heat, and with Gerbing electrics, I've never frozen. I think the mesh stuff is good for some things, but crashing with them is going to be higher risk then a good ballistics nylon (or leather) suit.

It also greatly simplified my closet (and I don't have to think about what I'm gonna wear when I go out for a ride or a trip.. it's the same thing no matter what.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I like the FirstGear HT Air overpants for warm weather. Comfortable and fit pretty well. The only thing I don't care all that much for is the color... black. I guess "fashion" dictates that black looks good but physics demands that it will be hot. I'm sticking with them this summer but might look at silver colored alternatives next year. Olympia Airglides look good though appear to flow a bit less air than the FG item. I wear nylon "zip-off" pants under the HT Air overpants most of the time which gives me the option of shorts if needed. Jeans under the mesh are way hotter than the nylon zipoffs.
    Carl

'93 K75RT

I think the first determinant of what works, is whether you ride an open or a fully-faired bike. I have the latter (R1100RT). The second determinant is where you live and ride. I live in south central Alabama, where heat and humidity are both high in the summer.

I have a two-piece Roadcrafter. Around April, the pants go into the closet until late September/October. The jacket soon follows. What I've found is that there's not enough air flow around the fairing to let Codrura-type mesh products work. Not without risking heat prostration. DAMHIKT.

My warm-weather solution is a pair of Diamond Gusset Defender jeans with kevlar in the knees. hips, and butt. I wear a Draggin' Keans kevlar mesh shirt over a t-shirt. Yes, it's marginal (no armor pads), but the cotton jeans wick away perspiration; Cordura doesn't. Even in that light outfit, it still can get uncomfortable behind that fairing.

I tried some First Gear mesh pants. Wore them exactly twice. With my full fairing, there is no breeze over my legs. They didn't breathe, and I felt like I was wearing black plastic garbage bags. Hot and sweaty (and no really useful pockets). They might work on a open bike.

I read that some riders say they can wear their their Roadcrafter suits above 100 degrees. I have no idea how they survive, quite frankly, unless they ride an open bike. Maybe I'm just getting old (61 now), and becoming less tolerant of high heat.

For extreme heat (riding through California central valley in the middle of the summer ranges from 100-110 degrees), I wear Klim Dakar fully vented. They work extremely well but have no armor. When I'm in the San Francisco Bay area which is more temperate in the summer, I wear a slightly more fashionable pant, the Dainese D-Dry, which are vented very nicely up to about 80 degrees. Dainese also has the Drake Air which is even more vented, for summer. That's my next purchase. Both of those pants look nice enough to wear into a decent restaurant and not look like you've just come off Mount Everest base camp.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
    German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Less is more.
    I live in Philly, so I had the opportunity to go to the RevZilla showroom and try on some stuff.

As I mentioned, I'm 5'10" 240#. NOTHING fit. Either the knee pads were vastly too low, or the pants were too tight. I tried on RevIt, Tourmaster, Olympia, FirstGear.

I have an email into motoport. I guess that's basically my only option at this point?

SH

Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    I live in Philly, so I had the opportunity to go to the RevZilla showroom and try on some stuff.

As I mentioned, I'm 5'10" 240#. NOTHING fit. Either the knee pads were vastly too low, or the pants were too tight. I tried on RevIt, Tourmaster, Olympia, FirstGear.

I have an email into motoport. I guess that's basically my only option at this point?

SH
    RiderWarehouse does custom fits.. within reason. When I had mine made, I ended up talking to Andy Goldfine himself, and explained that if he looked at Danny Devito playing the Penguin in the Batman movie, he'd have a good idea of what was needed for me..

Fit perfectly.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

SH
    Can't go wrong with Motoport! I purchased a jacket for me and one for my wife, both made to our measurements. They both fit perfectly and are thus very comfortable.

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

Geeser
    I wear the First Gear mesh overpants for commuting to work and love them.
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr_Eugen View Post
    If you really want protection its Motoport Kevlar... including their mesh... or leather... anything else and you're just kidding yourself...
    Which style of motoport jacket and pants do you use?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

SH
    Or you could consider separate armor, such as the Bohn products, then look for just the pants or pants with cheap, removable armor. They might defeat the purpose of the pant a bit, but I prefer the baseball type shin/knee protectors to something in the pant. I know they will be in the right place if there is a getoff.

I tried draggin' jeans and they were hot and uncomfortable in the seat area compared to leather
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I'm riding this summer with the Revit Airwaves pants and mesh jacket. I wear tech wick lightweight underwear or my LD Comforts. They're quite breezy and comfortable and I hope they offer adequate protection and I hope I never have to find out.

Joe Rocket

just got some Jrocket mesh pants, first ride today. Also wear JR BigAir jacket. Great piece!

http://joerocket.com/catalog/index.c...oenix_3.0_Pant

Knee pads are a bit high even in the low postion, length is slightly long for the reg version (not-short version) but when on the bike pants draw upward anyway.

If you order at the high end of waist demention they might get tight over pants. I am 5.11/170 and bought the Large-Reg but could wear the Med-short after recieving them and putting em on. But Im trying to gain some weight!

I plan on wearing shorts when just joy riding/not work.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote