Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Garmin Updates- Cruel Hoax?

The space issue with updates is a known issue with the 14XX Nuvi line and others. Easy fix, just delete unneeded system files (like the huge library of voice files for virtually every spoken language!) This page does a great job instructing how to open up space on the 2 gig internal storage:
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=c6483...8A197B8356!396
    and more importantly, how to do a complete backup of your GPS.

Personally I deleted all the unneeded files and had plenty of room for the most recent map update. Of note, most of the knowledgeable folks advise using the MyGarmin.com dashboard to update lifetime maps, NOT the lifetime map updater which apparently is pretty buggy.

Try that - open up the mygarmin.com/MyDashboard, hook up the GPS, and let the mygarmin plugin find the GPS.

I have an 8gig class 10 (fast!) MicroSD to hold my HUGE junction view file and tons and tons of favorite files. Got it from NewEgg.com (love them) for $7 with free shipping.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

BTW everyone, nice job on another great GPS info thread. I just added it to the stacked threads in the Best of Forum segment.

now let me see if I can get this map folded back up...Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

OK, following the above posted link,

I went in to my GPS's files, and deleted a bunch of stuff, all the extraneous language files in two folders and most of the "icon" files, except the car, crow, & triangle. Deleted all the "image" (sample?) files, too. Left ALL voice and most other things that seemed essential, or that I had no idea what they were.

I guess the idea is to free up the limited space- never a bad thing, right?
    I find it amazing that while memory takes up so little physical space, this thing doesn't have absolute loads of it! I got 32 gigs on a thumb drive that's a 10th the size!

BTW, what's the deal with "unlocking" maps? Is it necessary to unlock your maps to then be able to accept updates?

Not that my "Lifetime Updater" even recognizes the unit....

All over but the shoutin'

After all the fuss, today, i got onto the laptop (Windows Vista) and logged into My Garmin. I connected the device (Nuvi 1450 LMT), and voila! Immediate results.
    Bingo, I am now currently updating my maps, "next door", on the laptop.
    Had to install the communicator plug-in, and the NET framework. The drivers installed auto-matically, and off we went. I had to "free up" some space on The Device and also chose, then, to save the maps to both the computer and to the device, so that I may create maps, routes, etc., in BaseCamp.

Thanks for all y'all's input and help.

Pc vs Mc...

Sounds like an incompatibility issue between Mac and Garmin. I will be trying the Garmin stuff on my PC shortly to see if things talk better.

Uh-Hm! Compatibility issues between Mac and Garmin? Can't speak for anyone else but I have 4 Intel based Macs (Mini, Book Air, Book Pro, and Pro) and have run all op systems since Leopard along with BaseCamp and never had the first issue with communications. All of my problems in the early days, several years ago with my 765T, were self induced. Still using the 765T and now a Zumo 665 for the past 1.5 years.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Mac vs pc

Just got things up. Waypoint manager won't work with Mac according to the package. Did get it to communicate with the unit after several pc software updates (net something and USB drivers)

Of course when I updated the firmware it went zombie for several hard restarts. Just after sending a technical request it came back to life .