Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Updates- Cruel Hoax?

Just call them , they will be happy to give you any help you need. I had to call them last week and the tech walked me thru the map upgrade.

Val
    03 K12RS
    NEPA

Did you install the Garmin Communicator Plugin? It is necessary for the Garmin unit to communicate with your computer.

FWIW...
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Do you have Wndows XP, Vista, or 7?
    XP Home, service pack 3 2002 edition.

Where, how do I get the necessary driver?

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    Did you install the Garmin Communicator Plugin? It is necessary for the Garmin unit to communicate with your computer.

FWIW...
    Bingo. No, I hadn't installed that but just did. Let's see if that does it. Back in a bit- and thanks!

BTW I think the cable is OK because when I jack it into my PC, I get a green line going across the bottom of my GPS screen, then an icon with a PC tower and a cabled device pops up, and stays there... just tried another cable, got the same thing.

gonna shut er down and re-initialise. back in a bit.

Cheers!

See my earlier post for the link.
    Theo

Theo, got the Communicator plug-in installed.

I shut down/re-initialized and got a couple message pop-ups:

"XML missing" (from Garmin)

EULA not found EULA/EULA_ENU.txt

googled "Garmin driver Windows XP", found & installed USB driver _231.EXE

shut down and restart again? The XML missing message appeared to be there multiple times- I had to close it several times before it went away. I think I missed something at the last time around- as I closed it another, bigger window popped up but then closed immediately as I'd already hit "close" (!)

Oh yeah, my PC is recognizing the device- I've had a window pop open that appears to scroll thru languages and then pops open as if I'd hooked up a camera, asking if I want to do several actions such as load files into a folder on my computer, etc.- don't have any pix stored on my GPS and may never have any..... not what I am about; I got other stuff for that.

Googled "Garmin XML download" (XML = localization software device) and got this:

Home ?? Mobile Electronics ?? Localization Data, XML file ?? Updates & Downloads
    Updates & Downloads
    Localization Data, XML file

This download area offers free firmware upgrades for select Garmin?« units. These upgrades are specific to the specific GPS units and software versions listed.
    Warning

This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.

If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service.
    Software License Agreement

By downloading, installing, or using this software, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the following license agreement. Please read this agreement carefully.

Garmin Corporation ("Garmin") grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to use the upgrade software ("Software") in binary executable form in the normal operation of the applicable Garmin products. Title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the Software remain in Garmin. This license is personal to you and you may make copies of the software only for your personal use. You agree that this license agreement does not need to be signed for it to take effect.

The software is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind ÔÇö either expressed or implied ÔÇö including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Garmin does not warrant the performance of the software or that the software will meet your requirements or operate error free.

You acknowledge that this Software is the property of Garmin and is protected under United States of America copyright laws and international copyright treaties. You further acknowledge that the structure, organization, and code of the Software are valuable trade secrets of Garmin and that the Software in source code form remains a valuable trade secret of Garmin. You agree not to decompile, disassemble, modify, reverse assemble, reverse engineer, or reduce to human readable form the Software or any part thereof or create any derivative works based on the Software.

You agree not to export or re-export the Software to any country in violation of the export control laws of the United States of America.

They do NOT, however, "list" any devices- they refer you back to "My Dashboard". My own dashboard did not suggest this particular download.

At this point, the best path forward would be to call Garmin's support line. It may take a bit to get through, but they're usually quite good at helping us out!
    Theo

Oh BTW- searching around in the GPS menu I found something that was under "My PC Won't Recognize My Device" or something of that sort. It suggested I unplug it from the PC, turn the device off & back on again - this apparently puts the GPS into "mass storage device" mode - then plug it back into the PC. I did that- but again, got no recognition from the updater, tho as I said earlier, the PC does appear to recognize the device, as though it were a camera, or mass storage device.

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    At this point, the best path forward would be to call Garmin's support line. It may take a bit to get through, but they're usually quite good at helping us out!
    Yep, I will do that later today when I have some time. I feel like I've done everything else, that I can possibly do. Obviously there is some component missing from the equation but it's beyond me at this juncture.

I'll report back after I speak with them.

Thanks for your help, tho!
    Cheers.

Tom

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    This is the risk you run when you stick with older operating systems.

An upgrade to Windows 7 would have eliminated a lot of suffering
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

My Garmin Nuvi works fine with Windows XP. Wasn't there an installation disc that came with your device? It's been a couple of years, but I seem to recall running installation software.

By the way, I just upgraded the maps on mine, so no problems here.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    My Garmin Nuvi works fine with Windows XP.
    Same here.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

We bought 2 sets of Lifetime Updates last year - one for Dave's Zumo 650 and one for my Nuvi 760. We both had problems with the updates. We ended up having to blow away the old maps completely and reinstall from the update. It seemed not to want to overwrite the updates onto the existing files, and claimed there wasn't enough memory - I'm guessing to have the 2 sets installed at the same time. Unfortunately, it's now erased all of my old routes & favourites etc, so I have to start all over.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    It seemed not to want to overwrite the updates onto the existing files, and claimed there wasn't enough memory - I'm guessing to have the 2 sets installed at the same time. Unfortunately, it's now erased all of my old routes & favourites etc, so I have to start all over.
    The maps I upgraded to were bigger: I had to run down to Walmart and buy a very small memory chip. Everything was wonderful after I shoved the little chip in and the new maps installed correctly.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

I have an external memory chip in it. Looking at 'available space', it showed more than enough. Still wouldn't do it.