Thread: Stoves, my stuff!

Hybrid View

Stoves, my stuff!

I am a stove junkie too, have several and depending on my day, which one I pack. My Jet Boil is HOT to cook with, meaning it burns food very quickly, even with my "scidplate defuzer" on it! Very convenient, however. My Peak1 is much more friendly, but gas is messy to deal with. I trend towards the better cooker this trip, messy gas and all "Peak1". At least it has better control over heating food items/dinner. My others are same as JB, HOT! May pack my Sterno, cheapie heat stove too. What ya'll cook with??? I eat more self meals nowadays, off one burner and find it rewarding, once mastered. ANY TIPS? Dry backpacker meals are NOT all created equal, but find the best ones and smile, quite good! Buying small quantity at grocers is not always easy, BUT butchers at the meat counter are friendly enough most often to take care of you. Chicken(cooked) is easy and makes good Ceasar Salad at camp. Gotta buy the salad in a bag, eat soon. Wrap cold items in a towel in saddlebag(insulate), lasts much longer to get to camp, stays cool. No ice cream. Costs? Not much better than restaurants but I am GSGiant, Off The beaten Path too often, need self food! Fish tooRandy

Sheesh!
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

Wife and I camp most of the time while on the road for 2-3 months at a time. We cook most of our own food. My stove is the same one IÔÇÖve had for more years than I can to remember, a Svea 123. Burns white gas/Coleman fuel but in a pinch will burn tank gas (preferably without the ethanol). IÔÇÖve never had an issue finding fuel, just finding it in smaller (than gallon) quantities. A quart of fuel will last us about two weeks, cooking two meals a day.
    Since weÔÇÖre on two bikes, we have the advantage of more storage and the ability to carry a small ice chest so can refrigerate stuff for a couple of days at a time before we need more ice. Opens up many options, food wise. In addition, the extra storage means we can buy enough food to last two, sometimes 3 days.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Ditto on the SVEA...Swiss handgrenade! I bought mine in !968! Still the bomb it always was!

My light weight stove is a cat food tin believe it or not. It uses alcohol from the auto parts store and weighs all of 2 oz. Cooks a pot of water as fast as my Sven or other stoves. Great thing is it fits inside of my 1 quart cooking pot and pan set-up. Oh, it cost nothing to boot.

I'm Justin...

and I'm a gas stove junkie. I have an Optimus 8R, Svea 123, MSR Whisperlite, and an MSR Dragonfly. I don't find them messy, but I may have low standards. Some simmer better than others, the Whisperlite is probably the worst. I have an anti-scorch plate for low and slow cooking. I also have an Outback Oven for when I want to get fancy.

Perhaps the neatest stoves are canister stoves, they simmer well and have the advantage of being allowed, w/o fuel, on airplanes. Their downside is that they don't work as well for winter camping unless you're at altitude. Those that take the "Camping Gaz" brand canisters are the best bet for world travelers, as this brand is available almost everywhere. The downside is that you are stuck with empties, they take up more space than the cooking equivalent of white gas, and it can be tough to tell how much fuel is left in a partially used canister.

Alcohol, Sterno and solid fuel (eg Esbit) are the lightest, simplest and least expensive, but have the lowest heat output so will take the longest to boil water and may not be up to big pots of chow. The interwebs abound with plans for making alcohol stoves out of cans, aluminum beer bottles, etc.
    Justin in Somerville, MA