Thread: Camping in Virginia - Alexandria to Richmond

Camping in Virginia - Alexandria to Richmond

Hi All,

I'm making a ride from NY to Chapel Hill, NC on June 7-8, 2012, and have a weekend meeting with colleagues, at UNC. I want to make my 625 mile trek, away from home a little exciting and camp my first night on the road.

Curious to know if anyone has had any good experiences with campsites on this stretch of highway, from Washington DC to Richmond VA, within 5-10 miles of Rt 95 South.

Just looking for the usual, a place to pitch a tent, take a swim, light a campfire,
    make a cup o' joe in the morning, and hit the road.

Leave responses here on this thread, or contact me off list at jsoque@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Jim
    '04 R1150RT - Metallic Titan Grey
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I lived in Woodbridge, Va many years ago and found that that there was not a lot of campgrounds in the area. One place we frequently took our kids camping was Prince William Forest Park. It was nice and it was convenient. It is about halfway between DC and Fredericksburg. The link is http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisit/camping.htm
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority runs one of the largest park programs in VA. There is a park with camping a couple miles off I-95 (exit 163, ~6-7 miles south of the DC beltway), Pohick Bay:

http://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay

Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...wloc=addr&om=1

Disclaimer: While NoVa parks are well-run and maintained, I have no idea what this one is like at this time of year -- crowded or not, noisy or not, etc. The park sits on the Potomac river, and there appears to be a swimming pool, etc. From there, you're on your own for checking it out/calling them/etc.!
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Here is how I camped in Virgina last year. Just rode off between some trees untill I found a clear spot and spent the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride far enough today so you can't come home untill tomorrow. 1998 BMW 1100GS
    IBA# 47129

There is a KOA campground just south of exit 126 Fredericksburg on I95. RT1 south app 4 miles, KOA is on the left. Have never stayed, so dont know anything about it.
    02 R1150RT, 93 K75RT

There is an Americamps KOA right at I-95 Virginia Exit 89 - Lewistown Road. Never stayed there as I work right around the corner, but it has been there forever.

Looks like a nice enough place from the street. Probably a little noisy. It is across the service road from I-95.

Roy F

Richmond, VA