Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California BMW's any different?

California BMW's any different?

I was looking on Ebay (bad idea) and saw a bike in CA that might be of interest. That got me thinking: are the BMW's sold in California any different from the rest of the U.S.? Different emissions controls or anything like that?

Tim

There are 49 state cars and bikes. However, BMW bikes meet CA environmental standards.
    In terms of used bikes, they tend to have little or no rust on them. Depending on local conditions, and that they were actually from the local area.
    I consider ebay a very poor source.
    There are many other good and reliable sources. And you have to go and check anything before you buy it.
    dc

Thanks, David. So... the Beemers sold in CA are no different from the models sold in the rest of the U.S., correct?

As far as sources, I'm familiar with Craigslist and Cycle Trader. Are there other sources you recommend?

Tim

Tim - FWIW I've sold two bikes on eBay, a KLR and a V-Strom. In both cases the buyer got a good bike at a fair price. So in addition to Craigslist and Cycle Trader, I'd keep an eye on eBay. I think you'll be able to tell a good listing from a deceptive one, particularly for BMW's. And to confirm, CA BMW's are identical to 49-state BMW's emissions-wise.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

I don't like the idea of ebay.
    I would recommend the forums, where the seller is known on the forum.
    And then check it out yourself, or have someone in the area check it out.
    I think the big difference would be rust and corrosion. Unless the seller is directly on the waterfront, on the beach, where the salt air has got to the bike.
    I think if it's a good bike, it will go fast.
    dc

David,

Thanks again.

Tim

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    The operative phrase is 'depending on local conditions'. Most anything inland will be the 'unrusted' variety. Most anything in my neck of the woods (or coast as it were...) will have (lots of) corrosion..... As I recall, even the '85's were all imported meeting CA emission standards. We have a special tag on the frame, but otherwise they are the same.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Steve
    I thought all California bikes were dual fuel and can run on either gasoline or granola.

Yeah, yeah, and I thought that was you farming flatlanders where the bike would run on gasoline or cow .....
    dc

No longer a member here
    California has one emission law that only a few other states share:
    Fumes from the fuel tank can not be emitted into the atmosphere. That's why CA vehicles must have their fuel tank vent going into a carbon canister.
    I am not sure that BMWs sold in other states have that.

I am only going by the hearsay, the folklore. And the folklore involves what they call the "canistercktomy". Which I understood to be a nationwide surgical procedure, but I could be wrong.
    dc

A link which seems to indicate that it is non North American bikes that don't have the cannister.
    http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/ccremoval.html

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I thought all California bikes were dual fuel and can run on either gasoline or granola.
    Close. Its actually solar, fajita, or granola powered.

My understanding is that BMW never sold "49-state bikes and California bikes" - only 50-state bikes.

Canister removal is a personal choice, and may be a felony (modification of emissions equipment; an authorized dealer will NOT do it for you) - but so far, they only really look at that in specific counties in Arizona.

Some fruits can be successfully fermented, but we still haven't come up with a way to run on nuts and flakes...

Paul
    The only way a bike could be a 50 state bike, just like the only way a car could be a 50 state car would be if it meets California emissions standards.
    There are a few other states that also now have some requirements, I don't know which states.
    A 49 state bike or car cannot be sold in California and probably would not be done. A dealer doesn't want to lose his license.
    The cannisterecktomy is common, and indeed a 'personal choice' but probably could have no legal consequence in the 49 states. It ain't required. I do not believe that is a federal requirement. If it is, I think the most would be a misdemeanor.
    In CA I would suspect that it could be a misdemeanor, I suspect not a felony, but since there is no inspection, no smog check, no nothing, how would anyone ever know? And no federal smog test, nor inspection.
    I just saw a post today recommending doing a cannisterecktomy. Along the lines of 'get that done.' Like it's necessary or something.
    dc

If you're interested in a far away bike, have someone from MOA take a look at it for you.

David- you are welcome to your opinion, but the reality is that there is not a thiing wrong with eBay.
    I have bought and sold several bikes thru it, have used it for years for hundreds of transactions for 10s of thousands of $. only 1 transaction was bad, and that cost me a whopping $10. do your due diligence, and it's as about as reliable as any store.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots