Thread: ATGATT: My Recent Reminder

ATGATT: My Recent Reminder

Sometimes it takes an "incident" to remind us of how quickly things can, and sometimes do, go "bad".

I recently had my reminder... and that is why I am a fervent believer in ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME!
    Lawrence
    2010 R1200 RT
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    http://lawrence-throughthevisor.blogspot.com/

Ed Kilner #176066
    Glad you were ok.

What did the dealer do/say?
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Glad you were ok.

What did the dealer do/say?
    Thanks! The dealer was great about the whole thing. We struck a very equitable arrangement on the cost of part replacement and that was it.
    Lawrence
    2010 R1200 RT
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    http://lawrence-throughthevisor.blogspot.com/

Exclamation ATGATT comment

Every 7- day work period I see 5+ M/C crashes where riding gear was minimal.....sometimes sandals & shorts!!! Off duty....I try to emphasize to riders the importance of protection without the war stories.....if they get loud/defensive/AH-like I ask them if they know what "Road Rash" means.....responses are comical......I respond, the correct definition is "flesh being scraped off the body." I know they think I'm from Mars.......
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Ask them if they would like to lean against a running belt sander to find out what road rash could do.
    Walter

G. K. Chesterton wrote - "The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he came to see."

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Every 7- day work period I see 5+ M/C crashes where riding gear was minimal.....sometimes sandals & shorts!!! Off duty....I try to emphasize to riders the importance of protection without the war stories.....if they get loud/defensive/AH-like I ask them if they know what "Road Rash" means.....responses are comical......I respond, the correct definition is "flesh being scraped off the body." I know they think I'm from Mars.......
    I have experienced two bad cornering slides on my bicycle and know the skin can be almost gone in some areas and takes a long time to heal especially since it is easy to get grit and dirt ground in deep. Based on that, I can only imagine a higher speed slide off a motorcycle so rather than try it out I am an avid ATGATTer.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

RK Ryder
    Many years ago, I worked in operating theatres for a year. It put me off riding for three decades. When I got back into riding, with the memory of damaged motorcyclists, it's always ATGATT.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Talking ATG reply

Ken.....I had a similar situation......the skin on my left arm is blanched, with poor hair growth......from a BICYCLE slide on cement 7 years ago.......people have asked me if I was sure it was a bicycle crash & not a motorcycle crash........I assure them I know the difference........BUT it reaffirmed all I care to know about road rash!!!!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

robert.bantly

Makes you feel secure

Went out for a 5 hour Sunday ride yesterday and encountered in this order:

1.) Cat eating roadkill as I rounded a corner (cats are fast, not too much of an issue)
    2.) Car in my lane totally while I transited a right hander (glad I had the Rally 3 suit on, though she corrected...) if I had to hit the ditch, it's the only way to do it.
    3.) Large Dog #1
    4.) Large Dog #2
    5.) Man on bicycle walking 2 Boston Terriers on a 55mph state highway with no bike lane - I stopped between them when they ran out in front of me.

Note the GSA could squish the cat or the 2 small dogs but there would be guilt involved (GF is a veterinarian!)

Each time - ATGATT, it gets reinforced over and over again each time I go out...

I guess you can look at it as either a doubtful day for the motorcycle gods or a helpful reinforcement and repetitive training