Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you wash your bike on trips?

Ed Kilner #176066

How do you wash your bike on trips?

Read a review on web bike world about a waterless wash chemical / mist spray kit...

So, what do you use?

Local dealer sells collapsible pail for $26. Anybody know a cheaper source along I-90? Trip starts next Friday!

I'm not crazy fastidious, but figure a little care each day, even for nspection value is a good idea.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    So, what do you use?
    Rain.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Read a review on web bike world about a waterless wash chemical / mist spray kit...

So, what do you use?

Local dealer sells collapsible pail for $26. Anybody know a cheaper source along I-90? Trip starts next Friday!

I'm not crazy fastidious, but figure a little care each day, even for nspection value is a good idea.
    About to leave (Wednesday) for 7 days out west (Rushmore, Custer, Yellowstone, etc.).

On long trips, usually just use one damp towel from the motel to wipe the RT down - another to dry. Keeps it looking smart.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

I just take Bugslide and the micro towel that comes with it in a ziplock bag. It cleans off the shield, headlight and all the Tupperware if you want to touch it up as well. I usually do it in the morning as the dew helps dislodge the bugs as well. I know on my last trip to Nova Scotia I was really glad I carried it as the bugs in New Brunswick covered my bike in black bug guts. I buy Bugslide from a local dealer but they do it carry it online. I am sure the various touch up mists from any auto parts store would work just as well with a little more elbow grease.
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

On long trips, usually just use one damp towel from the motel to wipe the RT down - another to dry. Keeps it looking smart. [/QUOTE]

I don't want to stir anything up but one of the things that I've been told by motel owner's about motorcycles guests is the use of their towels to clean their motorcycles. The oil and grease is hard to wash out and in many cases they have to throw away the towels.. What I do is carry a micro fiber wash cloth in a zip lock bag in glove compartment (12RT) use at gas stations to soak off bugs from windscreen. At motels use ice tray with plastic liner,warm water. I try to mention at check in so they know I'm not destroying their linen. Many times I've been told that BMW riders are most welcome back and they hate the loud H-D crowd and neither do most of their guests.

Note: Kevin you wouldn't have time to stop at the Land of Oz rally would you?
    Jack Watson
    BMWMOA #125089
    2014 K1600GTL
    2013 C650GT

Motel towels

I was at a motel in Ouray, CO last week and they had a little poem on the bathroom wall about the motel towels. They requested that guests not use them for servicing/cleaning their autos, etc., and instead requested that, if you need some rags, just ask at the front desk. I did so, and they gladly gave me a couple of rags cut from some old towels. I used them and then put them into a plastic bag and into my side case for the rest of the trip. One evening I ran a little warm water into the trash can, added some of the guest shampoo and gave the bike a quick wash, using those rags that had been picked up earlier in the week.

The lady at the front desk said that they used to lose between 10 and 20 towels each week due to people using them to for everything from cleaning/servicing their cars, cleaning shoes, or just cleaning their windshields.

At another motel, I experienced the 6:00 am "Harley wake-up"....when 2 Harley riders cranked up their straight pipe bikes. Made me want to suggest that Harley riders be required to park at a "satellite" parking lot somewhere a block away and walk to/from the motel
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Hey! Don't get me started about the Harley guys.
    Towels.
    Many a motel has a sign "Please do not use our towels to wash your car". Yes, you can believe it applies to motorcycles.
    You ruin a towel that way.
    I always carry a sponge and my own towel. Or two. One for the windshield, a new one in good condition, and an older one, for the greasy, oily or just plain nasty dirt. The old disposable one.
    In Torrey, they have a rag box to use on your bike. With a sign, take some rags to wash your bike.
    I do not do a thorough wash job on the road. You have to have some evidence that you actually went some place.
    dc

I can only remember one time when a motel did not give us cleaning rags when we asked, and that one time was because the clerk did not know where the rags were. Last week at the Wattstull Inn at Buchanan, Va. the motel owner gave us nice microfiber towels for cleaning the bikes and told us to keep them.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Rain.
    Too many other things to do when on a trip. HOME is where the bike is cleaned and polished. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    Too many other things to do when on a trip. HOME is where the bike is cleaned and polished. Ride Safe
    I'm not crazy about doing it then either, but headlights, windshield, and signal lenses get cleaned every day I ride.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Behold or Pledge or similar and a cotton t shirt. Spray it, let it soak, wipe it clean. carry a can all the time.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I carry a waffle-weave microfiber towel big enough to cover my windshield. When I pull over for the night I drape it over the windshield and pour water on it. About half an hour later when the bugs are all softened up I wipe down the windshield and lights. I'll rinse out the chunks in the motel sink. I don't bother cleaning the rest of the bike till I get home.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I'll wash the bike when I get home. That's if I ever find the time for a road trip...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I carry a waffle-weave microfiber towel big enough to cover my windshield. When I pull over for the night I drape it over the windshield and pour water on it. About half an hour later when the bugs are all softened up I wipe down the windshield and lights. I'll rinse out the chunks in the motel sink. I don't bother cleaning the rest of the bike till I get home.
    A great idea, I always carry several micro-fiber towels.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    A great idea, I always carry several micro-fiber towels.
    Chiefs always have the best ideas!

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley