Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1984 r100rs Trans leak

1984 r100rs Trans leak

I have A 1984 R100RS I noticed fluid seeping out of the rubber boot where the clutch lever is has anyone ever come across this?

What about any past servicing? Any chance you overfilled it? A little tough to do, though, provided you're filling through the plug on the side of the tranny...once it the fluid begins to run out of the plug, you're done.

What about the speedo cable bolt? It has a hole through the middle which is designed to allow the build up of pressure due to heating of the oil to equalize. If the hole is plugged, overpressure could do bad things, forcing fluid out places it shouldn't go.

It could be that the rubber ring around the thrust piston has torn...item #6 on this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=21&fg=51
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have the non adj pivot arm design my inard look different I'm gooin to change the fluid this week but Am going to look into the bolt you said thanks for the info!

Your boot may be torn or cracked. The boot on my 81 has a little oil in it when I remove occasionally. The gear oil level in the tranny is approx. 2 1/2" lower then the push rod so it cant drain out.
    I would look for a damaged boot and replace it or tighten the clamp a bit. Here are your components. Item 15 is the seal and would be a PITA to change.

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckp543 View Post
    I have the non adj pivot arm design my inard look different I'm gooin to change the fluid this week but Am going to look into the bolt you said thanks for the info!
    non adjustable arm ? I did not know your modedl came with a non adjustable. live and learn

Your boot clamp is loose or the boot is torn for oil to be coming from there. There is no seal to change a oil splash is how the through out bear is lube.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

I pointed out the wrong part for the seal. The push rod seal is in the back end of the input shaft. Item 16

Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    I pointed out the wrong part for the seal. The push rod seal is in the back end of the input shaft. Item 16
    His bike is a 1984 the seal you point out is not use on this bike. They change after 9/80 on this. Only the boot keeps oil from coming out.
    Last edited by donbmw; 03-29-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamemon View Post
    non adjustable arm ? I did not know your modedl came with a non adjustable. live and learn
    Sorry I meant nogreasable it was late when I made the post

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    His bike is a 1984 the seal you point out is not use on this bike. They change after 9/80 on this. Only the boot keeps oil from coming out.
    Take a minute to look it up DON. He has the same assembly that I have on my 81 R100RT. The drawing is from 81 on and his is an 84....correct?

I looked at the parts book and I don't go along with that. I know I replace that seal when I had to rebuild my transmission on my 75 R90. The push rod and through our not the same as my 82 R65. I just had the transmisson out on the R65 to lube the splines there is no seal where the push rod goes on this and never has been. The transmission on my R65 has never been apart and I have had this bike since new and have close to 100,000 miles on this bike.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    I looked at the parts book and I don't go along with that. I know I replace that seal when I had to rebuild my transmission on my 75 R90. The push rod and through our not the same as my 82 R65. I just had the transmisson out on the R65 to lube the splines there is no seal where the push rod goes on this and never has been. The transmission on my R65 has never been apart and I have had this bike since new and have close to 100,000 miles on this bike.

Don
    Here is the seal you claim doesnt exist and it goes in all the 81 thru 95 airhead gearboxes. Including yours. It's the red insert tapped into the end of the shaft to keep any oil from migrating forward onto the clutch plate. You can see the trough at 5 o'clock to allow oil flow to the throw out piston and bearing.

Grease it up in there and replace the boot. Stops the drool.
    Helmut always wears a Helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmut_Head View Post
    Grease it up in there and replace the boot. Stops the drool.
    I like that answer sounds easier!

Well I found the clamp just spinning around boot has no holes tightened clamp rode about 7 miles no leak yet? Hopefully in the clear!