Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best mesh high viz over wear vest?

I have been looking at vests a few days now & just googled: "which color safety vest is most visible"? Seems so far to be that yellow wins, per some "experts". You'd think that they only sell the ones that work best,huh
    When you read the ANSI specs it tells you that the Class 3 vests are the ones for over 55 mph and similar to MC operation-most class 3 vests are with sleeves-so far my choice is @ www.safetyvest.com vest: ERB-S26/MPN-14609 @ $13.49
    Last edited by kantuckid; 06-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Orange is a color produced by nature - sunsets, flowers, sea creatures, etc.

Hi-viz yellow/green is the ONLY color NOT produced in nature. There are no clouds or plants the color of high-viz yellow/green.

That's what makes it stand out so well - it isn't replicated by Mother Nature.

The other day, I arrived at my son's baseball team's end-of-season party wearing my Aerostich with the Icon Mil-spec hi-viz vest. A couple of the parents were drinking beer and wine in the public park. When I walked up wearing my gear, they all immediately hid their drinks, afraid I was a cop. You see, the Icon vest has a neat little badge emblem on the right chest pocket, and to some, it looks like police issue equipment.

Which is a very good thing, because most ignorant cage drivers don't give a crap about running over motorcyclists, but most do care about running over cops.

What was interesting to me about this particular instance is that my RTP was parked in the garage. I had arrived on my GSA, which is about as far away from being a cop bike as you can get! Now I know I don't need the RTP to impersonate and officer and thus improve my odds out there on the roads.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Might not "be in nature" but the guvmint says both colors are ok per the law? I agree that the orange doesn't stand out but it's found in slow vehicle triangles and more, including the vests...

My final choice was from : www.fullsource.com , vest - US2LM13A, XL/2X pretty much the same/similar to the one standing(modeling his vest!) in pic this thread. I liked the adjustability of this one on the sides to maintain a loose, easy fit over riding jacket. The most conspicuous of all are the ANSI class 3 vests but they have sleeves which I didn't want as they block access to my jacket vents.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post

The other day, I arrived at my son's baseball team's end-of-season party wearing my Aerostich with the Icon Mil-spec hi-viz vest. A couple of the parents were drinking beer and wine in the public park. When I walked up wearing my gear, they all immediately hid their drinks, afraid I was a cop. You see, the Icon vest has a neat little badge emblem on the right chest pocket, and to some, it looks like police issue equipment.

Which is a very good thing, because most ignorant cage drivers don't give a crap about running over motorcyclists, but most do care about running over cops.
    I have the same experience with my yellow vest. We often do volunteer security at concerts. I wear the vest and voila - instant authority. NQA when I say no. Don't know how cagers feel about me on the bike with it, but I know my atty will push for manslaughter charges rather than the "invisible" excuse.

I am shocked and appalled that no one has yet mentioned the MOA one available through the Company Store.

Conspicuity - company changed hands a few years ago, but same great product.

Geeser
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Williams View Post
    Conspicuity "See Me" vests. Cost is $54. But, I have had mine for almost five years, ridden through many miles in all weather. No failed seams or fading. Bright during the day. Totally pops when hit by lights at night. Fits over my Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket nicely. Snug enough it doesn't flap. You will be happy

http://www.conspicuity.us/vests.html

Regards,

Barron
    +1 - an excellent product
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    Orange is a color produced by nature - sunsets, flowers, sea creatures, etc.
    I try to not wear mine under the sea! But being a University of South Carolina alumnus, anything orange makes me nauseous anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Since I work on a military base I have to wear a high viz vest often. I found that cheap in cost was crappy in construction. I had several that fell apart quickly. I finally settled on the Icon Mil Spec. It ain't cheap, but it works and it lasts.
    +1 for sure! Would not be without mine! Worn 'em for years
    I have gotten many visibility comments from cages and the Icon wears/fits extremely well.
    They do eventually fade (as all hi viz does) if exposed to lots of sun.
    I'm on my second.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

hi viz

Was at Daytona this spring and bought a great Hi Viz jacket from a vendor,Waterproof liner full CE protection fully adjustable sleves and waist great fit.6th Gear Speedtec.About $80.00

FLY hi viz

Fly makes a nice Hi Viz vest and it is adjustable on the sides so it will fit over anything or any body.

Here's a photo I found but I didn't purchase from them:

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...ASS-VEST-HIVIZ
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Smile

Vests are nice but, they are an extra piece of gear. Buy a good mesh jacket with armor in Hi-Viz. Many have zip out liners that are waterproof. I carry a TourMaster rain jacket that packs small and easilly fits over my "summer" mesh jacket when required. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe