Thread: rake and trail

rake and trail

so i'm leaving the baggage pick up at jfk with my wheeled luggage.

rake
    when pushing the bag, noticed that directional stability was better with a lower angle but it was easier to maneuver with a higher angle. (cruiser vs off road?)

trail
    when pulling the luggage, increasing the angle made for less directional stability (up to a point) but more maneuverability. while decreasing the angle improved it.

i guess that's how motorcycles work also.

anyway, that's the way my little pea brain works.

Last edited by f14rio; 05-25-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Ed Kilner #176066
    The handle on the luggage allows you to adjust rake, I'll buy that.

But, trail is determined by how the line of the handle (extended) passes in front of the centre of the wheels. Not adjustable on my wheeled luggage.

Glad my RT handles better than my luggage.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    But, trail is determined by how the line of the handle (extended) passes in front of the centre of the wheels. Not adjustable on my wheeled luggage.

Indeed it is! When he raised or lowered the handle, the extended line from the handle hits the floor closer or further away from the wheels, thus changing the trail. Draw yourself a little sketch, it will make perfect sense.

Ed Kilner #176066

Oops! I was wrong...

...with my definition of trail. It is indeed measured along the ground, not at the centre of the wheel.

Nice drawings in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...geometry#Trail
    Last edited by BMW Triumphant; 05-24-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

not rake and trail, but interesting, still

When I take my office chair to the gym for PT conferences, I always watch the wheels. When pushing the chair, the wheels always go in a straight line. When I turn the seat around and pull the chair, the wheel assembly goes round and round like a ferris wheel.

Best this physics teacher can come up with is that the forces while pushing are balanced, and while pulling, they are unbalanced. Probably doesn't have much to do with motorcycles, but interesting, nonetheless.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    When I take my office chair to the gym for PT conferences, I always watch the wheels. When pushing the chair, the wheels always go in a straight line. When I turn the seat around and pull the chair, the wheel assembly goes round and round like a ferris wheel.

Best this physics teacher can come up with is that the forces while pushing are balanced, and while pulling, they are unbalanced. Probably doesn't have much to do with motorcycles, but interesting, nonetheless.
    The wheels on your chair should not know the difference between pushing and pulling the chair. If they are regular swivel wheels, they should turn and always roll straight on the floor with the contact patch BEHIND the point where the extended vertical axle would meet the ground. The reason they act different, is probably that you are putting a force to the backrest, which translates to a different reaction force at the wheels when pushed or pulled as the chair may tilt slightly.

na1g
    TWhen I'm out in the yard getting rid of dead leaves, I always find the rake works best when you pull on it. But the RT works best when you push it. Must be that clever Telelever suspension, eh?

p

Experiments in Rake and Trail > http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

Experiments in raking a trail...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I was once trailed by a rake...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    I was once trailed by a rake...
    And...

Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

video on rake

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

BugCollector
    I have found that my luggage is always faster and more maneuverable when I carry it with the handle. I can fly past or sometimes, through most of the other passengers. I am using red colored luggage. I think that is the fastest and maybe most assertive color.

and... I told him I didn't roll that way.