Thread: ATGATT on a hack?

ATGATT on a hack?

While I'm not hard core atgatt, I cover up reasonably well on a 2 wheeler. With the side car and warmer weather though, I'm going jacket-less and don't feel nearly as vulnerable as I would on my K75. Still wear a helmet, just less gear. Don't really need a lecture on the horrors of road rash, just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

On another note, anyone have a seat belt in their hack? I put one in mine (anchor holes already there) mainly just because the kids are so used to wearing one in the car, they feel more comfortable with it. Can't decide if it would be an asset or a liability in an accident.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

seat belt

i also use a hack seat belt. cheap easy to install. no reason not to. not sure about accidents but i wouldn't give a small child a ride without it.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I will occasionally wear jeans in lieu of riding pants on the hack, but always wear the rest of my gear: full face helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. I figure sliding injuries are much less likely, but fear the blunt trauma thing.

No seatbelt in my hack. In fact, no seat. It was replaced with a memory foam mattress for Barley. He does have an anchor point for his safety harness which he wears every time we go out together. (He's a gun dog and lunges at every small animal we see, hence the tether.)

My wife finds the mattress more comfortable than the seat, but refuses to wear the leash so we don't travel together much. I'm all about safety, you know.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

98% ATGATT. Jeans on ocassion, usually Darien pants, more heat management on a K-bike. As Pete said, less concern about falling off and sliding, but the idiots will still cut you off or run into you.
    We have a seat belt, wife is about 50% on using it, less than 50% on the gear, except for her helmet, 100%.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post

My wife finds the mattress more comfortable than the seat, but refuses to wear the leash so we don't travel together much.
    She tend to lunge at garage sales like my wife?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Seatbelt in the sidecar and it gets used every ride. Ditto for helmet in the SC. As for me, I do ATGATT on the SC rig except when we are putting down to a local diner for meal--then it's jeans/leather jacket/helmet/gloves. The biggest gear problem we face is that the SC passenger can't wear a helmet when it is raining and we have the roof on the SC...

Best,

GTRider
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 K100RS (r.i.p.) -- 1995 R1100RSL (gone, never forgotten) -- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT

angysdad
    Seatbelt in the tub...the kids (7+8) are always strapped in, my wife doesn't wear it. All passengers require helmets by law. I ride with helmet, jacket, gloves and boots always...protective pants sometimes (chaps or aerostitch).

Seat belt in the sidecar; its use is mandatory for anybody under 18 as far as I'm concerned. My wife uses it every time she rides.

I admit I do relax ATGATT a little on the rig - but I still wear helmet, jacket, hi-viz vest, gloves & boots. I guess the only thing I relax on is the overpants. Anybody in the sidecar wears helmet & jacket at the very least, & if it's my wife or kid, gloves as well.
    --
    - '05 R1200GS - '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Guilty! I've even worn shorts up to the market. Never on a longer trip. shoe/sneakers...
    No seat Belts. That would scare me. Passengers get in and are told: "No need to anything except keep your hands inside and hold on to the forward hand hold." Tying someone down to that rig would scare the hell outa me.
    Helmets all around... Always.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

no seat belt but installed rollercoaster type pull down & lock in place bar. Need monkey to be able to move side to side & have a good hand hold.
    I wear gear 98% of the time,helmet every time.

I'm ATGATT riding the rig. Passengers always use helmets at a minimum.

I have seat belts installed, mainly to secure a child seat when my monkeys were much smaller. Now its rarely used except when giving rides to small children. Not sure how much good a seat belt would do in a fiberglass tub that is likely to shatter in a bad wreck.

Plus like ajourneyman said, its helpful for the monkeys to be able to move around.
    Mike Currin
    93 K1100RS / EML Speed 2000 sidecar
    89 Honda GB 500
    67 Triumph 650 Chopper