Thread: The Haul Road on a Rental Bike!!

The Haul Road on a Rental Bike!!

For those of you looking to rent a motorcycle while you are in Fairbanks, Alaska, check out Alaska Adventure Riders at www.fairbanksriders.com. I just rented a BRAND new, as in 95 miles, F800GS for a day and rode to the Arctic Circle. Keith Payne worked with me while I was in Missouri, brought the bike into town and even came back into town to pick up the bike. He has 650GSs, 800GSs, and a couple of 1200GSs, all outfitted with altrider accessories, Jesse bags on some of the bikes, and the F800 I rode wore Heidenau tires. All in all, a very enjoyable experience and one I'd do again. Yes, this is a shameless plug, but Keith is just starting out and doing a good job. Oh, and I got the website from the good folks at motoquest tours waaaaay down in Anchorage. So here's a few pics from the little ride of 450 miles.

At the pipeline viewpoint just north of Fairbanks

This road sign kind of sums up a trip up the Haul Road.

The start, and a nice clean bike. The road was actually in excellent hardpacked condition and really only showed it's true character in a few spots (wet and sloppy, dusty gravel, or deep pea gravel over hardpack)

At the Hot Spot Cafe, just north of Yukon crossing and the home of $5.20 gasoline. It gets more expensive the closer you get to the source.

views like this along most of the ride. The condition of the road made it excellent for sightseeing.

Success!

No, this isn't Lisa from Ice Road Truckers. But there were many of them on the road and all of them being good drivers. Be nice to the working truckers and they will be nice to you.

If you name a creek "No Name Creek", doesn't it now have a name and so is also now misnamed????

The starkness, emptyness, and sheer beauty are simply stunning.

OK, so this isn't really dirty, but it's the best the Dalton could do. If it's any consolation, I had to wipe the dust from my faceshield quite frequently.

The end to my second trip up the Haul Road.

If you are going to Fairbanks and looking to rent a motorcycle, give Keith a call.

Thanks Alaska Adventure Riders!!!!
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.
    1989 Honda GB500 aka Ton Up.

I hate deer and love venison

Nothing out performs a rental.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Did you fly to Fairbanks, or ride your own bike up there & rent for the haul road?
    John.

I flew into Fairbanks to visit friends and had my riding gear shipped by USPS Parcel Post. We drove to Keith's house in the hills to finalize arrangements and he rode the bike into town to meet me on the way out and came back into town to pick up the bike. Now that's service!!
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.

AirForce... Excellent! Beautiful images, good tip, and nice captures of the road.

Ambassador since 1984 macstudley's Avatar
    My wife and I along with another couple flew to Anchorage for our m/c honeymoon. We rented from Keith Hull @ Alaska Motorcycle Adventures. We rode to Homer, the Kenai peninsule and the Arctic Circle. We were riding R100R's and the haul road took a toll on the bikes. We encountered rain most of the way north, but sunny skies and some shady slick spots that put our bike sideways on the way back.

We went to a car wash in Fairbanks and washed the bikes as best we could, but the calcium chloride didn't wash off. Neither bike had been on the haul road before but it was obvious after we went. I notice on his website now he only rents GS's and a KLR.
    Mac McEnheimer

When approaching a corner stay on the gas until you see Jesus or Elvis.Then brake HARD!

It's good there are people up there who rent as it makes it soooo much easier for those of us who can't take 2-3 months off to really do the trip up right. At least this way we can get a taste of Alaska riding in a day or two. I sure did miss living up there and this little vacation has just whetted my appetite to sell up and move back north
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForce View Post
    I flew into Fairbanks to visit friends and had my riding gear shipped by USPS Parcel Post. We drove to Keith's house in the hills to finalize arrangements and he rode the bike into town to meet me on the way out and came back into town to pick up the bike. Now that's service!!

looking do the same in aug. how much did i cost to ship your gear.? ups or us mail?

Thanks for pics:)

I have finally got the time to ride all the way to Pruedoe Bay, North Shore. I go after Salem on my GSA1200, no schedules to keep. I will visit all of Alaska. My first turn will be at Fairbanks and the Haul Road. I am a lifelong trucker too, so will appreciate seeing the rigs and chatting it up with some of them too. MAYBE even get a quick job, make some bucks on a big rig run(just one). Got the license, got the experience. I'll will ride it first. Randy