Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New rider bike choices

It doesn't look like you're doing it but don't restrict to one brand either.

While I was not a beginning rider, 6 years ago we got a Suzuki Boulevard C50T (about 800cc). A great cruiser! The "T" comes stock with a windshield, floorboards, good driver's seat and hard leather saddlebags that are not removeable, water cooled, fuel injected and shaft drive. Kawasaki and Yamaha comparable models. I'm sure there are plenty of used ones out there. Oh and I'll add that on the Suzuki I could easily flatfoot both feet with bent knees and I have 29"-30" inseam. My wife has a shorter inseam and when she sat on it she could flatfoot it too.

Since you're in N. Georgia you may want to take him to WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, GA. It's literally a superstore of used motorcycles. Their website even has an "under $5,000 area now". He can at least look in person at many different types of bikes, sit on them and help narrow his search.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    It doesn't look like you're doing it but don't restrict to one brand either.

While I was not a beginning rider, 6 years ago we got a Suzuki Boulevard C50T (about 800cc). A great cruiser! The "T" comes stock with a windshield, floorboards, good driver's seat and hard leather saddlebags that are not removeable, water cooled, fuel injected and shaft drive. Kawasaki and Yamaha comparable models. I'm sure there are plenty of used ones out there. Oh and I'll add that on the Suzuki I could easily flatfoot both feet with bent knees and I have 29"-30" inseam. My wife has a shorter inseam and when she sat on it she could flatfoot it too.

Since you're in N. Georgia you may want to take him to WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, GA. It's literally a superstore of used motorcycles. Their website even has an "under $5,000 area now". He can at least look in person at many different types of bikes, sit on them and help narrow his search.

Will do. Never heard of the place since we are brand new to the area. We'll run down there this weekend.
    Rod
    95 K1100RS
    07 R1200RT

Kawasaki Ninja 500 is a nice looking all around beginner motorcycle. Check em out.

Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Moped or scooter!

lloving

He's an adult let him decide.

Take him to some dealers and let him stand over and sit on some bikes. Stay close and see which one gets away from him. If he isn't comfortable supporting the bike in the show room it ain't the bike for him. Otherwise let him decide, at 57 he can figure it out.

Its not the power that's going to get him its the weight.

Any bike that fits and can keep up with traffic will work.

The real issue is learning to ride. Those roads you mention in GA, TN, NC mountains run from very easy to "kill you if you're a bit fast and have an attention lapse". If you've been there you know the older roads are typically decreasing radius corners, unlike newer ones built to current standards, and are sometimes off camber as well. And early in the year especially it is always possible to come around a blind corner and find a bunch of rock that has slid into the road.

Suggest some serious work on cornering technique (many beginners are totally wrong in brake and throttle use in turns) plus some extra stuff on basics like how to turn around in a 1-2 lane space on a slope.

His bike will get dropped and dinged so getting the first year on something less expensive would be a good idea. If done right and not bashed up much, reselling it after a year or two should cost you little. And by then he'll have enough time to know for himself exactly what he wants in another bike.