Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tire Hell

I'll sidestep the plug/no plug angle here as mentioned. Personal choice I make when I need to make it.
    You'll have to make up your mind on risk vs. reward...we all have and do what we need to do.

Discussed recently in Just Ridin':
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...=tire+plugging

I will add that sometimes it is where you ride that gets one to this point. I speak from my own personal encounters of the hissing tire.
    Are you riding in a known construction area, on the shoulder at times to look at map or chat, turning thru that triangle of debris at a lot of intersections or riding in the center of your travel lane? All these factor in picking up debris.

I have a lot less flats now( knock-knock) that I do not commute into the ever present construction zone of Austin,TX. You could see things fallng off of trailers and from pickups on a daily basis. My common flat maker was drywall screws.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

One of the few good things in this lousy economy is that it got rid of most of the illegals in the construction trades running around with ratty pickups spraying crap out the tailgate. Haven't had to use even a plug since 2008. Without funny money driving excess housing builds one can expect this improvement to be long lived..

Re plugs- the worry warts need to get some experience and use some judgement...I've done stuff with them I'd never recommend to others simply becasue it was necessary at the time and have never been able to make one fail- not even on car race tires that far exceed temps and stresses any motorcycle tire would ever see...

Here's some guidelines
    1) Don't try to plug anything big and never use more than 1 in a hole. The reason for this is simple- if the original puncture caused a slow leak even a failed plug would only result in another slow leak. So if you easily handled the first one, an unlikely second one is no big deal. Large holes that might result in an instant loss of pressure are another matter and a far higher risk. I don't even try to repair tears or large holes on anything except a car for street use- never on my track stuff or bikes.
    2) If a plug alone makes you nervous (no reason for that if you plug correctly), you can later dismount the tire and do an internal patch over the puncture, leaving a plug remnant in the hole. (Again, I've done this version on track tires with no problems resulting)
    3) Never try to repair a tire with any puncture in a sidewall- it will not hold. This is asking for trouble big time,,,
    4) Stick to "string" plugs. Rubber and plastic ones are gimmicks with added possible failure modes..(eg steel belts inadequately reamed have been know to cut rubber plugs)
    5) Its wise to practice with a plug kit before you need to use it for real. Technique matters and if you're good, you can do a plug with very little air loss while working. If inserted wrong, plugs are far less reliable so learn would a well done job looks and feels like.. T handle reamers and inserters work much better than screwdriver handle types. Always have an unopened fresh tube of rubber cement in your kit- open ones tend to dry up and harden. (I've encounterd 2 car/truck tire punctures that needed a drill to open them up for plugging- the steel belts in those tires were so stiff I could not drive a hand reamer through the puncture hole. Never seen this on bike tire where construction is lighter)
    6) Carry a good inflator and pre test it! Hardcore types carry one of a few manual pumps because they never fail. I use a reliable electric one. Know that many of the cheap sompressors sold are crap and will either fail in use or draw so much current that they're not practical on your motorcycle..CO2 kit users should be carrying 6 smaller cylinders or 3-4 larger ones so you need to buy more than are in most kits. The things are a nuisance anyway- a compressor is first choice..

I can afford to do as I choose with tires but am not going to waste my time chasing a new one simply because of a tiny puncture. Also not going to risk my neck to save a couple $ trying to fix something that should be scrapped....

in years of this debate, i've gleaned these few things which i believe to be truths:
    - dealers won't plug tires because of liability issues, along with greater profit from selling a new tire.
    - those who have plugged tires will readily do so again, and tell you that you're a fool to throwaway a good tire with a little hole in it.
    -those who have never ridden a plugged tire for farther than it takes to get a new one installed never will try riding one to its end, and will tell you that you're a fool if you ever consider attempting it.
    - this, to me, is most telling: i have yet to read/hear of a plugged tire failing during extended use.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    May as well throw my 2 cents in....

My bike came with a flat tire repair kit. Apparently there is at least one large motorcyle manufacturer who thinks they're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    May as well throw my 2 cents in....

My bike came with a flat tire repair kit. Apparently there is at least one large motorcyle manufacturer who thinks they're ok.
    Makes perfectly good sense to me.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

if

1. Buff the inside of the tire smooth, using a cleaner to remove any mold release

2. Use the patch with the center rubber hole filler with glue on it.

3. Then patch the tire you will never have a problem

if you do like most and patch on the dirty inside surface not using a tire buffer, and do not use the patch with the center piece then you results can vary significantly

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    There ya go. Clear, concise and conflicting advice delivered with a fanciful air of authority. The internet at its finest.
    Amended.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

OK ,,I rode a gummy worm plugged tire over 7000 miles before I replaced it
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Motorradfahrer
    It makes me crazy to throw a tire away because of one little hole. That is why I shoot it with my .45 caliber Kimber. It is the humane thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    It makes me crazy to throw a tire away because of one little hole. That is why I shoot it with my .45 caliber Kimber. It is the humane thing to do.
    Just make sure to shoot it straight through the sidewalls
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    OK ,,I rode a gummy worm plugged tire over 7000 miles before I replaced it
    I tried a gummy bear once...didn't work
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Got another hole on Friday.
    Didn't notice 'til Saturday morning as I was getting ready for a ride with friends I couldn't call, I had to meet them in the car if I didn't show.
    So I plugged the new hole and went, 5 minutes tops, it's easier with the tire half inflated.

Most of you guys are making sense to me, racer7 and bikerfish1100 expressed my thoughts very clearly.

This tire has about 2,000 miles on it. Had I replaced it twice I'd have spent $300 for nothing.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F