Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big byway here, Ozarks:)

Ticks?

What ticks? Camped every night in them Ozark woods, saw no ticks! BUT, sure heard about'em all about from others. Had me looking for'em every night and morning as I camped. Ticks are much more rare where I live in the desert. We have Rattlers and Gila Monsters(Big LIZ, poisonous). I even saw no snakes, but turtles all about the place. The turtles must have a run going, multiplying like rabbits in the Ozarks. I did see one snake crossing the road, but unsure what type it was. Maybe one of those Cotton Mouth's or the like. I don't like'em, keep my distance. We even have the famed Desert Tortoise, rarely seen in the Mojave, but there indeed. A world apart, the wilderness/woods of the Arkansas Ozarks. On my retirement short list of revisit sites. Randy

Thanks for the kind words about our little part of the world. Just don't tell anyone, Ok...
    2010 R1200RT
    GO HOGS!

As in Razors?

Must be a Razorback fan. I rarely here that name out West. We have the Bulldogs, Fresno State. Like to see'em play the Razorbacks. We do travel a lot to teams back there, quite good. I was simply amazed at how FEW folks do get off into the Ozarks and play tourists. I 40 passes right through there and I guess most are in a hurry to just stay on the slab. Better for us GSA'ers and other bikers, as the curly roads there are heaven on two wheels, no traffic to mention. Our GS Giant Tour in Oark this year was very pleasant at Byrd's Resort, Hwy215 and maybe 100 GS/GSA'ers had a hoot of a time adventuring all about that area for three days before the Sedalia National Rally. WE should always keep that area in mind for a National BMW Rally someday. Randy

We just returned from our annual two week Fall in the Ozarks trip.
    We use Lake Dardanelle State Park off I-40 and AR7, one of the many great parks Arkansas offers, as our base and are in the middle of prime riding opportunities. There just are not any bad roads in condition or scenery/challenges. A 200 mile jaunt thru the National Forests will wear you out...in a fun way.
    The only traffic we hit was northbound to Fayetteville on a home game Saturday...we were going the opposite direction. Now that school bus on 27 we couldn't pass was a treat to watch scream thru the corners...you had to believe he/she has driven that road all their life.
    And when you aren't riding there are still a lot of things to do...lot's of hiking and paddling opportunities.

For us it's a 600 mile trip to get there and hard to load back up to come home.
    And no ticks were found on us or the dogs and we were all over the woods.
    The area was greener this time of year and the colors were outstanding...as usual.
    She saw the sign and was GONE! It says Curvy and Steep next 20 miles...we had it to ourselves mid week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    We just returned from our annual two week Fall in the Ozarks trip.
    We were in NW Ark. for a week in October.
    Hard to beat those roads for riding, almost as good as The Texas Hill Country
    16 is one of our favorite roads.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    She saw the sign and was GONE! It says Curvy and Steep next 20 miles...we had it to ourselves mid week.
    Correction! Crooked and Steep

I have never experienced the turtle thing. I had a ride where I must have seen about 20 snakes crossing the road. Followed by what we call a frog drowner of a rain. (where it rains so hard even the frogs drown). The lighting hit so close your skin crawls. I took the first convenience store I found, they can be quite rare when you need one. The worker there was a nice lady, she rode too, a Ridley!

So, if turtles, or snakes, I am finding the first motel 6 I can.

Rod

Turtles rule there!

My recent trips to the Ozarks, I had turtle experiences, countless ones. I don't know why they cross the roads so often in my case, but they were having a good year multiplying. Maybe the warmth of the pavement felt good enough to risk the occasional biker/car thing. I never saw a squished one! Saw one snake, gave it space too, don't like'em much. Box Turtles, I visit with, give'em a ride or close up looksee at the GSA. Randy