Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big byway here, Ozarks:)

Big byway here, Ozarks:)

Another of the guy at work, in the road, heading nowhere fast. I think I scared him into seclusion, kind a neat trait of turtle world, before they get run down! Not me. Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy, you see many of those little "box" turtles here. It is a good indication that it's about to rain...they start seeking high ground.

On a group ride last summer a friend on an RT hit one..almost missed it, but shot it like a hockey puck- It easily went the length of a football field!

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Ouch!

Don't think I want to hit one, may be me flying from bike, although I outwiegh it a 1000 to one. I did see maybe a dozen turtles or so coming through there and no rain and one mean snake crossing the road too. I stopped for the snake too, but we kept our respective distance, looked poisonous. I sure liked the ride, crossing the USA and Ozarks.

Where in the Ozarks, Ar., Mo. ?

Oark:)

That pic just above is within a mile of Oark,Arkansas. Nice tree canopy byway. Not many travel this one, or at least that day I was all alone a while. Of course, so many BMWs will be there very soon, mid July, you won't be able to turn a corner without seeing one. The GSGiant(pre rally) kicks off very nearby Oark, via Ian's plans. Sunday night, I believe. RandyGSA1200

Nice:)

This cutoff goes to Oark from the West. I liked the sign, gets to the point. So much of this in that area, great roads to almost nowhereville. This paved one led in and all dirt ones leading out the far end for me. Like.

One more!

Me entering, you know. This was somewhere on the Oklahoma/Ark line West of Fayetteville. A Lady Sheriff stopped, asked if I was Aok. Of course I was, just a photo op. Probably not too many taken here and I WAS parked right on the pavement almost! No issues, almost no traffic on this backroad. At least Arkanasas had a sign, as many states do not advertise on back roads. Randy

Glad you liked our little corner of the world.
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.
    1989 Honda GB500 aka Ton Up.

I hate deer and love venison

When the VIR track first re-eopened there were predictably large numbers of box turtles in the spring especially between T2 and T3. As instructors, we let them be and used them to teach alternate line choices to students... Never saw one get hit.

One year we had a woodchuck that laid with his nose just over the pavement edge about 50 yards uptrack from the hill crest on the back straight. He'd lay there for hours with vehicles inches to feet from his nose at 120-150 mph as though it was his favorite entertainment. Initially we'd give him plenty of room in case he decided to make a mad dash across the pavement but he was an apparently savvy little beast who just watched while sometimes munching his favorite plant..

What or why these critters do this stuff I've got no idea other than reptiles like warm pavement

It is a local Ozarks legend that when you see turtles on the road, it's going to rain-they are heading for higher ground.

Seems to be true.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    It is a local Ozarks legend that when you see turtles on the road, it's going to rain-they are heading for higher ground.

Seems to be true.
    boy howdy, they sure need it. Arkansas is suffering from extreme drought. But at least it was still green. It seemed like central Missouri was burnt to a crisp.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Yep indeed!

I have heard from friends(S.MO.) I met there that rain has been seen and fallen recently. The Ozarks were indeed a HIGHLIGHT of my trip East this year. Them roads/byways are nearly perfect to anything I've ridden anywhere. Very nice. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I have heard from friends(S.MO.) I met there that rain has been seen and fallen recently. The Ozarks were indeed a HIGHLIGHT of my trip East this year. Them roads/byways are nearly perfect to anything I've ridden anywhere. Very nice. Randy
    I agree. Arkansas in general and the Ozarks in particular offer some of the best riding I have enjoyed. Lightly traveled roads with plenty of entertaining curves plus great scenery.

Unfortunately too far away from me to get to without a couple of days ride. With any luck I will make it out there in the fall this year though.

Fall in Ozarks;

This would have to equal NE Fall Seasons. The color would be incredible if you hit there just right. I was amazed by the lack of traffic there and the ones you did encounter were just poking along, easy to pass. Nobody seems in a hurry in the Ozarks of N.Arkansas. Thats my take on what I saw and its almost another time warp there. Randy