Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Survey

James.A

Survey

Prompted by a post by Kbrick in "Campfire", which regular forum users own, or are interested in vintage BMW's?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I want a late 70's airhead... but the L&T Jennifer says I need to get a LT first so she can ride on the back...
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

HODAG
    I am interested in vintage bikes mainly a /2's with sidecar.
    mark

Kbrick

count me in

When I come across the right R-26, or R-50/2 at a reasonable price I'll be with you guys!

dlearl476
    Depending on where you draw the line, I'm either interested or an owner. I still have my first road bike, a '72 R60/5 and my brother's first road bike, a '70 R75/5 which is the bike I use for occasional recreational use. (Work on occasion, Saturday morning ride to coffee, Sunday to the Euro Motor Owners of LV breakfast, etc.)
    I like European bikes, old, new and in between.

James.A
    If a person were to establish a threshold of 30 years old for "vintage", /5's would be vintage bikes. Given the breakdown of the forums on this website, I would consider a bike to be vintage if it doesn't have electric start.

I'm a member of VBMWO, although I am not much of a vintage expert. I just like the way my /2 makes me feel after a stressful work day.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I really like the older bikes (as well as the new ones). As Visian says, I love the way they make me feel. I put almost 200 miles on my /2 yesterday, and nearly all of that was in Bay Area traffic, including splitting lanes through SF. What fun! ;-)

The VBMWMO club says 25 years makes it vintage. So that includes my '75 R90S. (The more general Antique Motorcycle Club of America says 35 years, so they're just now starting to include the /5s.)

/2s (and I use the term loosely) are just the beginning. I got mine for free, but as a kit. I am not much of a mechanic, but these are not inherently complicated machines. (There are some subtelties, however, and it's never advisable to break out the Harley tool if you don't know it's the right thing to use.)

But it has really infected me, and now I have 4 beemers that predate the Airheads. Each is surprisingly different, and a joy in its own right.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Blocking the slow lane
    Blah blah blah. Shouldn't you be working on a trip report?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

bigfoot105
    I added another mount to my stable yesterday. I found a '72 R60 /5 with 19K miles on her. It was rode as recently as last year. I bought it from a elderly fellow that had owned it for the last 25+ years and before that his brother had owned it. It's going to need some TLC and some tinkering but, its in pretty good shape. It has BMW hard bags and a Windjammer fairing the fellow even threw in his old BMW helmet. I'll post pic as soon as I can.

On another note, The wife says the stable is full.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz
    Blah blah blah. Shouldn't you be working on a trip report?
    Jon, you can't imagine how relieved I am that you don't have a photo of me after our dinner with Bruno. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot105
    On another note, The wife says the stable is full.
    This is another reason to move to the pre-Airhead era. They're all low, black bikes with white pinstriping, and nobody can tell them apart. Your wife will never know if that's a recent addition or not.

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi
    Jon, you can't imagine how relieved I am that you don't have a photo of me after our dinner with Bruno. ;-)
    Those pictures are locked in the vault!
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz
    Those pictures are locked in the vault!
    Well, to tie this into the original thread, I was in Germany and Italy for 3 weeks and besides visiting Jon and Sue in Monza (who were complaining that none of their friends are coming over for the MotoGP, in spite of the fact that they live 4 blocks from the race course!), I also got to participate in two vintatge rallies. In the first one, I got to ride a friend's 1924 Rudge Multi, a 500cc single:

In the second one, I got to ride my 1928 BMW R52. (It's too new and modern for the first rally.) Unfortunately, the weather was rainy and I don't have any pictures from that. But here's a picture of the bike:

Oh, and Jon? I do have a few photos from that dinner:

Blocking the slow lane
    That's an awful lot of liquor for three guys!!
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador