Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BMW Seat Technology

"Then, for the vital airflow I need I cut a slot through the foam and pan. I have 1-1/4" flex tube, ducted from the front of the bike directly into the seat slot, for fresh air flow,....right, ya know "there". A bit like ram air flow for me, not the bike. Hopefully no more "swamp shorts"

Better put a screen over that air intake,...otherwise that your "swamp shorts" will become ..."bug-butt"

Just teasin' with ya,...very nice job!.... Let us know how the air flow [does] work! It really is a great idea.

Ron

Hmmmm.... Ahhh, Um...

boy can that seat photo make for some interesting captions that come to mind !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    Hmmmm.... Ahhh, Um...

boy can that seat photo make for some interesting captions that come to mind !
    I was thinking the same thing...

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    You think I posted the photo just to talk about my new seat design?

C'mon,...bring it on,...I got a great twisted sense of humor. Be tough to offend me.

How bout, "I REALLY REALLY like my bike and I wanted to feel closer to it."

Better yet, "18 years, two divorces, one bike, must be something special about it!"

The 18 years and two divorces and one bike is the truth!
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Hijack

Ok, to add to the discussion and potentially hijack the thread...

Just looking through the articles in July ON and find an article about Saddleman seats. does anyone have any experience with Saddleman seats for the GS?

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    I just finished a 1700 mile/5-day lake Superior lap with my gal on my new custom seat set. She said her seat section was far superior (heh, pun) to both the Corbin seat I had on the bike previously, and far, far better than the stock seat I built it from. I done good for her comfort,......means more riding time for both of us!

The front seat section is far more comfortable for me also. The ram-air cooling is perceptible, though not as much as I had expected it would be. Time. miles, and lower air temps will tell for sure. But I could feel the airflow at 60+ speeds. The air intake is directly below the front leading edge of the fairing, nothing blocking it, with 1-1/4" tubing from it to the slot in the seat.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Shawn

stock seats suck.

I'm sorry but nobody can convince me that the BMW stock seat is well designed and developed for the long distance rider. I put on 900 miles last weekend on my 2009GS and could hardly walk after getting off.

Anyone have a brand recomendation for a custom saddle that has really workded for long rides?

I don't care for the stocker on longer rides either. I saw an "almost new" Sargent seat for sale in the Flea Market. I asked the owner why he was selling it? He said because he didn't like it, I bought it anyway. LOL as far as I'm concerned he was right, I sold it too. Corbin's seat felt better, a bit more room F to R, but it is still sloped down to the front. Both seats were better with the rear of the seat in the low and front in the raised setting. But then they were too low which cramped my knees, plus it left a gap at the tank.
    I called Corbin and took a chance ordering a seat but told them to raise the front so it's level. I really like it. Riding all day, day after day, I never even think about the seat. Someone else with a 1200GS sat on mine and liked it so well he called Corbin with my invoice number and told them to make him one just like mine. I can put the stock seat back on whenever I sell the bike, and then sell the Corbin.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by 75499 View Post
    I'm sorry but nobody can convince me that the BMW stock seat is well designed and developed for the long distance rider. I put on 900 miles last weekend on my 2009GS and could hardly walk after getting off.
    And of course your physiology is identical to everyone else in the world.

Of course it's not, and that's not BMW's fault.

Woman tries on a pair of pants and they don't fit. Her response: I've got to lose some weight.

Man tries on a pair of pants and they don't fit. His response: There's something wrong with these pants.

Sorry you have buyer's remorse. BMWs are great bikes and are VERY well designed.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

JoeDabbs
    Did 800 miles yesterday, and I'm sure happy with the stock seat on the RT! Comfy, but firm, giving good support for the miles. Plenty of room to scoot around on during the trip.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Kent Christensen
    '08 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
    Kent, yes BMW makes great motorcycles. But many find R1200GS's have uncomfortable seats, especially 2005-2007. Have you ridden very far on a BMW F650 Twin with a stock seat? Your R80GS (and Weasel's 1975 R60/6) has a better seat than that. So while technology advances seat comfort sometimes regresses.
    BTW Weasel I thought 1975 R60 was a /5?
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

JoeDabbs
    Nope, /6 generally started with '74 models. I say that because I believe there were some long wheel-based '73's, though I don't recall if they were labeled /5's or /6's. Interesting, though - I was noticing the drivers seat on the RT and the /6, and they are basically the very same shape.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    And of course your physiology is identical to everyone else in the world.

Of course it's not, and that's not BMW's fault.

Woman tries on a pair of pants and they don't fit. Her response: I've got to lose some weight.

Man tries on a pair of pants and they don't fit. His response: There's something wrong with these pants.

Sorry you have buyer's remorse. BMWs are great bikes and are VERY well designed.

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Are European backsides that different from US types?
    Yup, they're not nearly as fat.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    BTW Weasel I thought 1975 R60 was a /5?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Nope, /6 generally started with '74 models. I say that because I believe there were some long wheel-based '73's, though I don't recall if they were labeled /5's or /6's.
    /5's from '70-'73 (released in '69)

/6's from '74-'76.

Easily distinguished by the speedo/tach/headlight shell: 1-piece on the /5 with the speedo/tach in a single instrument sitting in the headlight shell; separate headlight shell and dual-pod speedo/tach cluster on the /6.

The LWB '73's are /5's -- 2" longer swingarm and rear subframe/seat, but the same headlight/speedo unit, wiring arrangements, /5 engine label plates, etc. until the start of the /6 production.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA