Thread: K1200s Handlebar and other questions

K1200s Handlebar and other questions

Hi everyone, I am new to the K family and I was wondering if I can get some advice. My wife had a 2010 F650gs and we traded it of on a 05 K1200s and after a while I just had get one also. Long story short I picked up an 06 K1200s with only 5k miles. My wifes bike have MVerholen 85mm handlebar risers on it and it is very comfortable since I'm used to my 1150 gs. My K12s have the original handlebars on it, (I think). The bars are tilted forward and I just want to know if thats normal or are they bent? Shouldn't they be straight in line with the triple tree????? This position is killing my wrists and very uncomfortable on 500 mile a day trips. I tried to adjust them but it does not appear to be possible. Any help would be appreciated. I also want to ask you guys if you take all the slack out of the throttle cable??
    Thanks!

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Can't quite understand what you are saying about the bars, but as for the throttle cable, I take almost all the slack out of it. Turn the bars lock to lock and see that the engine does not rev.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Can't quite understand what you are saying about the bars, but as for the throttle cable, I take almost all the slack out of it. Turn the bars lock to lock and see that the engine does not rev.
    What I can see from your picture in wedge pics, your bars look stock I think.
    My other bike is a BMW.

I found some pics online and I think they are stock. Do you have any suggestions for a repair manual?

Quote Originally Posted by sarelp View Post
    I found some pics online and I think they are stock. Do you have any suggestions for a repair manual?
    I just use the BMW DVD that you can get at the dealer and the cd with the wiring diagrams also from BMW.
    I don't know if Haynes or Clymer are up to date with the K1200S yet.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Bar Risers

I have an '06 K1200R and had the same experience with wrist pain on my first road trip. Installed a set of risers from Pirate's Lair (possible do-it-yourself if you are patient...lots of tiny screws in the controls). Completely changed the feel of the riding position.
    Also found the stock seat was like riding a concrete pillar, so upgraded to a Sargent. Just completed a 250 mile trip with no discomfort (other than footpeg position...my next project).
    I recommend the risers highly!

I have Heli bar on my bike their made here in New England
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753