Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW Gear worth the price

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Adequate crash protection is something that many of us are deluded about. Unless you're wearing leather or Kevlar anything else (textile stuff) is going to protect you once and very briefly. But again, pick whatever solution (leather, textile, ect.) you want and compare BMW gear vs the better like product. How's the BMW garments stack up then?
    You like Motoport. Fantastic. Motoport people tend to be a lot like Amsoil people, and there's generally no point in trying to carry on a conversation with them.

7 months ago I was hit by a carload of texting teenagers. Totaled my bike and damn near killed me. I can guaran-damn-tee you I'm not deluded about adequate crash protection. Good quality textile gear will do exactly what's needed in the event of a crash, regardless of what Motoport tells you.

What people need to remember is that every crash is different, and sometimes it doesn't make a bit of difference what you're wearing. I don't plan on crashing, and I really couldn't care less whether or not my gear survives a crash. I'm far more interested in surviving with as little damage to my body as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    You like Motoport. Fantastic. Motoport people tend to be a lot like Amsoil people, and there's generally no point in trying to carry on a conversation with them.

7 months ago I was hit by a carload of texting teenagers. Totaled my bike and damn near killed me. I can guaran-damn-tee you I'm not deluded about adequate crash protection. Good quality textile gear will do exactly what's needed in the event of a crash, regardless of what Motoport tells you.

What people need to remember is that every crash is different, and sometimes it doesn't make a bit of difference what you're wearing. I don't plan on crashing, and I really couldn't care less whether or not my gear survives a crash. I'm far more interested in surviving with as little damage to my body as possible.
    I don't own any Motoport gear. I personally think it's not very attractive or comfortable but I believe their claims about how it holds up and protects the rider in a mishap. It seems like the best at that. I'm just trying to have a rational conversation about gear. You brought up the notion that my gear isn't as protective as the BMW gear and I don't have any reason to dispute that. I could care less if my gear survives the crash either as long as it protects me. There's a lot of factors that go in to why we own and ride with the gear we do - price, protection, comfort, style, bragging rights, whatever. I'm sure the BMW gear is very high quality, protective gear. Pick whatever reason you want and tell me why the BMW gear is better than other less expensive or even similarly priced gear. You crashed it and I guess it worked for you. The same could be said by other riders with all manner of gear. We all make trade offs in what we buy and use and I think we're just asking for someone to help justify the price of the BMW gear.

I'd love to own some BMW gear - why not, I ride a BMW and I'm proud of it. I'm just not willing to waste money for prestige - my personal choice. Help me understand why that's not happening if I spend $$$$ on BMW gear?

Mind is not for rent
    I don't own any Motoport gear. I personally think it's not very attractive or comfortable but I believe their claims about how it holds up and protects the rider in a mishap. It seems like the best at that. I'm just trying to have a rational conversation about gear. You brought up the notion that my gear isn't as protective as the BMW gear and I don't have any reason to dispute that. I could care less if my gear survives the crash either as long as it protects me. There's a lot of factors that go in to why we own and ride with the gear we do - price, protection, comfort, style, bragging rights, whatever. I'm sure the BMW gear is very high quality, protective gear. Pick whatever reason you want and tell me why the BMW gear is better than other less expensive or even similarly priced gear. You crashed it and I guess it worked for you. The same could be said by other riders with all manner of gear. We all make trade offs in what we buy and use and I think we're just asking for someone to help justify the price of the BMW gear.

I'd love to own some BMW gear - why not, I ride a BMW and I'm proud of it. I'm just not willing to waste money for prestige - my personal choice. Help me understand why that's not happening if I spend $$$$ on BMW gear?
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm saying that you're not protected if you don't wear BMW gear. I didn't crash in BMW stuff, I crashed in a leather jacket and chaps, and I can tell you point blank exactly what leather does and doesn't do in a crash far more than what theoretical internet "knowledge" states.

Back to BMW gear, from my first post in this thread.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Train
    I took the plunge on a Rallye 3 suit. It's insanely expensive (really, all adventure suits are), but it fit right, came with excellent armor, and was immediately comfortable. Those are three huge plusses. Having ridden with the stuff for a while in various weather conditions, I gotta say that it's worth it. I don't mind wearing the thing, and it does what it's supposed to do.

I still say it's ridiculous that a hundred dollars worth of fabric sells for $1,500, but then again, I paid it.
    Look at that; not word one about anything like "prestige" or "bragging rights". It was comfortable and fit me right. Those two things are more important than anything else, because that means I'll actually wear the damn thing. Compared to every other pant/jacket combination I tried (and I tried a lot of them at all price points), nothing came close to the R3's feel.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that I'm saying that you're not protected if you don't wear BMW gear. I didn't crash in BMW stuff, I crashed in a leather jacket and chaps, and I can tell you point blank exactly what leather does and doesn't do in a crash far more than what theoretical internet "knowledge" states.

Back to BMW gear, from my first post in this thread.....Look at that; not word one about anything like "prestige" or "bragging rights". It was comfortable and fit me right. Those two things are more important than anything else, because that means I'll actually wear the damn thing. Compared to every other pant/jacket combination I tried (and I tried a lot of them at all price points), nothing came close to the R3's feel.
    I never ascribed any motivation to your posts. I sure some people do buy them because it's got the roundel on it but never said you implied that you did. Heck, I might pay a little extra for that as I'm as proud as anyone of owning a great mark. The question remains: among textile gear, is there any reason to believe that the BMW gear is worth the price? Since it seems you're intent on taking this up to an argumentative level, I'm done here. I would still be interested in reading what anyone has to say that's substantive to add to that question? I'm kinda new back to motorcycling after a long hiatus and I'm genuinely interested in learning something about the quality and performance of riding gear.

"Is there any reason to believe that the BMW gear is worth the price?"

There are many reasons to believe that it is. The question for each person is whether those reasons are important to them.

For example, just the "reason" that it has a BMW roundel attached to it is important enough to some people. From this thread, it's obvious that for most here, that isn't important enough of a reason on its own.

But there are any number of other reasons - you can pick up the BMW catalog and read about all the features they describe. The thing is, you have to decide for yourself which, if any, are important to you, and what they are worth to you. Clearly, for many, the benefits don't justify the price. For others, they do. And for some, they may not even be benefits!

After having owned a few different brands and looking at a LOT of alternatives, I purchased the BMW StreetGuard 3 suit. Frighteningly expensive even with a decent discount. However, for me, it does what I want better than anything else I've found, and those things were important enough for me to justify the price.

However, that does not mean that I think it is the best choice - or "worth it" - for someone else.
    Loch Miwa
    Crestwood, IL
    2004 R1150RT

Fat Bear
    I have the BMW Trailguard jacket and pants and have used them in temps between -10C and humidex of +42C. The jacket is well vented - the pants not so much. I agree with an earlier comment - the armour has moulded well to my body and it tends to keep the heat in when the temp is cool.

The jacket will only keep me dry if I use the Gortex liner. Without the liner, water is penetrating in a moderate shower after 10 mins.

Normally, I ride with the liner in and all vents open - that combination is quite comfortable throughout the countryside. I zip up as soon as the first rain drops start falling.

The Gortex liner is bearable in temps above 30C when I'm driving rural roads. When I have to go into the city with the liner in and the temp is +30C then it becomes quite uncomfortable after a few mins.

I wear Allround boots. My feet have stayed dry so far. I also use the Allround gloves - other than my hands getting hot, the gloves tend to keep me dry and well protected.

I haven't taken a spill in the gear (yet !!!) so I can't speak for the overall protection factor.

Unfortunately these responses to the original question are subjective and anecdotal, i.e." this happened to me when...; or I like this because". Does anyone know of any comparative testing?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I like a lot of the BMW gloves, but I'm not a fan of wearing anybody's logos. Hard to find gear without them though.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by queretaro View Post
    Unfortunately these responses to the original question are subjective and anecdotal, i.e." this happened to me when...; or I like this because". Does anyone know of any comparative testing?
    A pdf from our british friends reviewed several riding suits in 2008. I don't know if it's been updated. Part of the problem with riding suit reviews is that some manufactures re-design their line-up almost annually, making it hard to find a current comparison.

Kind of hard to imagine testing involving a test rider sliding down the highway.

BMW publishes some laboratory abrasion test results for its materials.

They publish statements such as:

Schoeller Keproshield: This protective composite has been specially designed for motorcycling and combines a three-layer laminate of Kevlar (aramid), cotton, and polyamide with the c_change membrane. The new material mix and the innovative construction have brought about a 20% improvement in abrasion, impact, tear, and frictional heat resistance over predecessor products. The reduced weight also further increases ride comfort.
    http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en.html

Haven't really seen countering claims from other providers or whether they are using same materials.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

testing

Not a very thorough test by any means but I did ride in 98 degree temps the other day with 1 hour in the BMW Comfort Tech jacket and 1 hour in the Aerostich Darien jacket. Same roads, same temps, same LD Comfort long sleeved shirt beneath. I'd say the Comfort Tech was slightly cooler, but not by much. I then rode Monday of this week in a thunderstorm with the Comfort Tech, it kept me bone dry but so does the Darien when I've worn it in rain. Styling and fit go to the BMW jacket. The shoulder pads, elbow pads, and back pad also appear to be substantial and the fit enhances how they stay in the right spot. I'm not giving up my Darien for it's versatility in the long haul but I'm happy with the BMW Comfort Tech.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

But that's just it - most isn't ridiculously overpriced. There's a broad range of prices and what I think this thread's OP was asking, is the expensive stuff from BMW worth the price. If it protects better than cheaper gear - let's normalize that out and ask - If protection is paramount in consideration of gear, is there anything on the planet better than Motoport's Kevlar jackets and pants? It's ugly as home made sin and pricey but by all accounts the best at protecting us. Would you want to crash in BMW pricey gear or Motoport pricey gear?
    Sorry to revive an old thread but the question Pitts asked was the one I tried to ask several times and had a difficult time getting meaningful information to guide the decision making process. There were many opinions but little data.

I heard so many great things about the Motoport stuff that I finally took the plunge and bought the gear. The problem was wearing it. It was so bulky and ugly that it was hard to swallow both the comfort and appearance. Those who wear the gear will say it breaks in nicely but the fit was just not there, even with some custom alterations. Aerostich was better but still not what felt or looked like I wanted.

That led me to return the Motoport gear and I went back to the BMW store. This time I noticed there was a display board which showed the results of abrasion test on various BMW gear. It showed fabric from their entry level denim to their premium Streetguard gear. The gear which was more competitive from a price standpoint to less expensive gear did worse from an abrasion resistance standpoint. The less expensive BMW gear used similar materials to less expensive gear from other suppliers. The more expensive stuff did much, much better. It was great to have this quantifiable evidence to help guide my decision making process. Looking at quantifiable evidence for the lower price garments was plenty to scare me away from less expensive garments.

Another nice benefit of the higher priced BMW gear was that it was waterproof without a separate waterproof liner which reduced the number of liners which were needed to pack and you did not need to worry about whether you packed a waterproof liner or not. Few other garments are truly waterproof without a separate liner. When taking a trip it is great riding in and out of rain and never having to stop to put in a liner or put on rain gear.

I realize not all dealers have this display but my dealer did and it was great to help me decide if I was paying for a BMW logo or a more abrasion resistant product.
    2012 K1600GTL

I am curious as to if this display was actually produced by BMW. I would be very suspicious of anyone trying to quantify that kind of material information. How would you know the exact circumstances under which the samples were tested and could the outcomes be replicated ?
    This just sounds like snake oil to me.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Mind is not for rent
    As with anything, you have to prioritize what's important. In 90+ degree weather, I'm less concerned about waterproofing than I am with airflow and breathability. In 20 degree temperatures, I want a windblocker.

I'm a firm believer that no single jacket and pants will work in the temperature ranges I ride (single digits to 110+). So my R3 is perfect for spring, summer, and fall; waterproof liners are preferred. Winter means Gerbing's heated overpants, and a heated liner under my waterproof Teknic jacket.

Ute's Chauffeur
    I'm also a firm believer that one piece of gear will not work as well as at least 2 suits if you live in varying climates. I also believe that a significant driver of comfort is actually how tolerant the individual wearer is of temperature. For instance I am much more tolerant of heat than my wife (being born in St Croix from Puerto Rican and southern Italian genes as opposed to Stuttgart from German genes may have something to do with that) so any piece of clothing tends to be more comfortable from a temp standpoint on me. For instance I can wear my Streetguard 2 suit throughout the year, but on the really hot days I prefer one of my mesh suits. My wife would not get on the bike most of the summer if she had a SG suit. She wears a Rukka Air Power exclusively. When it is cold she has a thin fleece underneath and/or her rain jacket over it (she doesn't like the AirVantage liner)

That being said what I have learned from my years as a clothes whore, if it's waterproof it will not flow air well. The membranes that allow perspiration to evaporate do not allow air flow to freely move through them. Those jackets may not be warm depending on other factors (thickness of material, insulation, etc) but they will not flow air well.

Of course the converse is also true if it flows air well it also flows water well. I also tend to think of a suit as a sacrificial item if I have a significant spill with a lot of sliding. I will gladly replace it to avoid skin damage. Another construction thing I have learned, if you want an always waterproof jacket I would strongly suggest one where the waterproofing membrane is laminated to the outer shell fabric. There are jackets made with the liner permanently attached at the periphery (the same way a zip in liner attaches). The advantage of a laminated suit is that they tend to not get as wet on the shell because the water is prevented from soaking both sides of the fabric due to the lamination. They also dry faster and tend to be less bulky than other types of attachment.

Wearing something is usually better than wearing nothing. You will develop your likes and dislikes and whatever works for you is right. I only wear short jackets and i always zip jackets and pants together. I happen to like BMW clothing. I think they are high quality and they have a wide selection of styles. I also like that I can zip any jacket to any pants. I also have recommended other brands to friends based on their needs. Bottom line, get what you like, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable enough that you almost never think about it when wearing it, and of course, wear it as much as possible.