Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BMW Gear worth the price

I don't care for BMW's leather options but I've had good experience with textile going back to the Kalahari. Currently I have the Comfort Shell suit which has taken some breaking in, but now I'm very happy with it if I layer for the weather. It's really not ok if it's about 85 or so and for that I bought the current Airflow which fits me well but as yet haven't used it much. The gear is spendy but I try to buy after the riding season when the dealer is eager to avoid inventory taxes. Good sales. Also I tend to use these suits for years before replacing them. Motive for change is usually that the armor has been superseded.

I have a ProRain 3 suit, which was used recently during several days of rain the NoCal and Oregon areas. Worked pretty well. When wore over my Tourmaster Mesh jacket & pants it kept me dry, warm and the HiViz made me a little bit easier to see too.

I'm doing fine with BMW Airflow 3, following an Airflow 2 suit.

Am a little amazed that BMW claims the current Airflows (not officially labeled Airflow 4) "reflect heat" (black one) and "repel dirt" (the white one) but that's what I'll get next.

Airflows were my introduction to 2-piece rainsuits and that's been no problem and I was surprised. On cool days, these are your "airflow stoppers."

Good to get the jacket a little big so Gerbings or whatever fit underneath and where I live it's then a year-round suit.

The red/gray Rainlock 2 rainsuit is nicely improved in function and quality over the original black 2-piece rainsuit. For airflow stopping, you'll need the pants lots less than the jacket, at least on a faired bike.

Yes, maybe like how full-face helmets just don't look right on scooter pilots, the Airflow looks a little wrong on a GS. So, my old Savanna 2 "coat" connects to airflow pants just fine.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I finally got around to washing my Rally Pro 2 jacket and britches. They cleaned up well, 5 years of road grime, down the drain.
    But, the fabric has lost something. Much softer to the touch, I'm thinking in the rain now that they will be much more absorbant. I know they were not advertised as water proof, but I've ridden in some gully-washers and they worked very well. I'm wondering what the future holds for me. Anyone have the same conclusion?

Since I got my RT all of my gear has become remarkably more waterproof . I used to take my Kalihari gore tex liners along, now I don't bother. The functionality of the Aerostich still wins out on long trips though.

The only piece of BMW gear that has been retired are boots - after I got the Combat Touring Boots I haven't worn the BMW all around boots once. For me they are more comfortable (once broken in), much more protective, and with a sno-seal treatment once a year, completely waterproof.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

The good you do goes on.

Recently upgraded from a Airflow 3 to Airflow 4

I have enjoyed the Airflow 3 so much over the past few years that when it came time to upgrade all my riding gear. ( I do this every 5-6 years). I chose the Airflow 4 jacket, since heat is such a challenge here in Kansas. I like the concept of layering over the venting jacket as temperatures drop with windstop jacket/pants like KTM or others make.

The Coldblack treatment really works. With the AF 3 I could feel the sun hammering down when in stop/go traffic but don't feel it at all with the AF 4. Not to say it stops ambient temperatures from heating you up, but the direct heating from the sun is significantly reduced.

The AF 4 jacket doesn't flow quite as much air in my opinion, but overall the jacket just feels much more comfortable. I agree with the previous statements about BMW zippers, we'll see with the AF 4 jacket. I had to replace the main zipper on the 3 after about 3 years.

Oh, most important to me, the BMW armor is top quality, I see a significant improvement with the new jacket. The back protector is larger, is now vented and the shoulder and elbow/forearm protectors are also larger and fit better.

Ride safe.

Thanks for the useful update on the current generation of Airflow suits.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

From everything I've read and experienced the BMW gear is fine quality stuff. But the question was - is it worth the price? There's definitely a large premium to be paid to own gear with a roundel on it and the question is - am I buying better gear or just the roundel?

I'm getting back in to motorcycling after a long hiatus and figured while I'm on my buying spree that this won't be the last gear I buy and that somethings will work and some won't. Here are the choices I made:

- Gerbing eXTreme coat and pants for sub-freezing weather rides. Works great to keep me warm, it's very comfortable, and no use fussing with layers when it's that cold.

- Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves to wear with my Joe Rocket weather proof riding jacket when the temps are between freezing and 70 degrees.

- Rev'it Airwave pants and the new Rev'it Tarmac mesh jacket for hot weather rides. This gear, combined with the neat little air vents on my K16GT, make me feel almost like I'm standing in front of a window air conditioner when riding in any temps still in double digits.

- EMS sells some nice tech wear undergarments that keep me cool or warm and provides a comfortable layer between me and the gear.

- Rev'it H2O boots, very comfortable fit for walking or riding, great ankle armor and protection. Feet were happy in 100F ride all day.

I would judge that I spent less than half, maybe closer to a third on all that stuff than I would have spent buying gear with the roundel on it. OK, I'm not a rolling advertisement for BMW. But, can anyone offer any real distinction of why it's worth more money to buy BMW gear? Does it last 3x as long? Does it protect me any better? Is it more comfortable?

Mind is not for rent
    The Gerbings Extreme Element jacket and pants are 330 Denier Cordura; about as effective as jeans in abrasion protection. The stitching is also (in mine which are 3 years old) single-layered.

Rev It's quality issues are legendary, not much more needs to be said about their stuff, but I damn sure wouldn't want to crash in it.

While I agree that most textile motorcycle gear is ridiculously overpriced, I can't complain about BMW's quality or materials.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    While I agree that most textile motorcycle gear is ridiculously overpriced, I can't complain about BMW's quality or materials.
    But that's just it - most isn't ridiculously overpriced. There's a broad range of prices and what I think this thread's OP was asking, is the expensive stuff from BMW worth the price. If it protects better than cheaper gear - let's normalize that out and ask - If protection is paramount in consideration of gear, is there anything on the planet better than Motoport's Kevlar jackets and pants? It's ugly as home made sin and pricey but by all accounts the best at protecting us. Would you want to crash in BMW pricey gear or Motoport pricey gear?

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Would you want to crash in BMW pricey gear or Motoport pricey gear?
    Neither... I don't like crashing!

That said, I've low sided wearing BMW gear and again wearing Aerostich gear. The Aerostich gear wins by a hair based upon my low sides. Neither suit was damaged in any appreciable manner, but the BMW gear NEEDED to be patched and the Aerostich gear could wait for a patch until I had additional reasons to send it back for an update. The bikes weren't harmed much, either.

Where the the BMW gear (a rallye II pro suit) fell down was in longevity. The Rallye II pro pants fell apart in 4 years. The jacket had to have its zipper replaced in 3 years. After 8 years with a Roadcrafter suit I sent it back to get that low side repair done and the velcro refreshed. I expect I'll get another 4-5 years out of the suit before I think about a replacement.

The 'stich stuff is better for me. It's also cheaper (but not cheap!). Motoport is out of the running for me because I can not stand the feel of the fabric... the suit would be too uncomfortable for me to wear.

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    But that's just it - most isn't ridiculously overpriced. There's a broad range of prices and what I think this thread's OP was asking, is the expensive stuff from BMW worth the price. If it protects better than cheaper gear - let's normalize that out and ask - If protection is paramount in consideration of gear, is there anything on the planet better than Motoport's Kevlar jackets and pants? It's ugly as home made sin and pricey but by all accounts the best at protecting us. Would you want to crash in BMW pricey gear or Motoport pricey gear?
    I won't own Motoport given their horrifically bad customer service, their horrifically ugly gear, and its horrifically uncomfortable feel.

And I'd rather not crash again. Last time nearly killed me. That said, the experience gave me a very clear idea of what gear will and won't do. Bluntly put, the type of accident has far more to do with injury(s) sustained than gear worn.

You're right, not all textile gear is ridiculously overpriced. I misspoke. By and large, the inexpensive stuff either doesn't offer adequate crash or weather protection. Sometimes you'll get one and not the other. Sometimes you get neither.

BMW gear

I ended up returning my Tour Shell jacket, it's just too warm. I am now trying a Comfort Shell and comparing it to my Aerostich Darien that I've had for a while. I rode today in 98 degrees with an LD Comfort long sleeved shirt on, jackets zipped up with vents open. I rode with each jacket on for 45 minutes and it definitely felt like the Comfort Tech breathed better. I got pretty warm in both but bearable. I haven't ridden the Comfort Shell in rain yet but so far it's impressed me. I really like the fit and styling. The protection seems good too with the pads in the right places. The Darien pads attached to Velcro and always seem to move around to me. I got it for 20% off but it still wasn't cheap. The Darien will always be my go to jacket for trips because it's so versatile to layer and it's just kind of earned its keep. I keep looking for that elusive perfect year rounder and the Comfort Shell has a shot at it so far.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    You're right, not all textile gear is ridiculously overpriced. I misspoke. By and large, the inexpensive stuff either doesn't offer adequate crash or weather protection. Sometimes you'll get one and not the other. Sometimes you get neither.
    Adequate crash protection is something that many of us are deluded about. Unless you're wearing leather or Kevlar anything else (textile stuff) is going to protect you once and very briefly. But again, pick whatever solution (leather, textile, ect.) you want and compare BMW gear vs the better like product. How's the BMW garments stack up then?

I got the Airflow 4 jacket and Olypmia Airglide pants for my riding in the Texas heat.
    The Airflow jacket is the best fitting jacket I have ever owned and the protection in it is top level. The jacket just sits on you so well. I think the reason is the pads kind of mold to your body after a while. The jacket does not flow air as well as my other jackets but too much air flow can be a problem also.

I wanted the AF pants also but wasn't sure I would use them that much so I decided on the Airglide pants with liners. I just did a 2 day ride with the pants and really like them. I used them as my only pants (not over pants) and used the liners over the pants when it rained. The liner is meant to be used inside the pants but I was not going to take my pants off under an overpass on a busy highway.

My decision is based on riding 90% of the time in extreme heat. I use wind blockers when things get cold and find I can use the jacket almost year round.

tsp
    My blog http://www.swriding.blogspot.com