Thread: Ballpark value of a 72 R60/5?

wvrocks

Ballpark value of a 72 R60/5?

I just found a guy in my area selling a 1972 R60/5. I called and talked to him for a bit today but haven't seen the bike in pictures or person. It's Monza blue, toaster tank, currently has a solo seat but he has the factory seat. The bike hasn't run in about 8 years. After his riding buddy died he rode it into his shed and parked it. I would assume it had/has fuel in it. Didn't sound like he did any storage prep work. Tires and battery are obviously shot. Probably a lot of dry rotted rubber parts. He admitted it wasn't perfect cosmetically even when it was running. Clear title. He's asking $800. What say ye?

For $800.00 you cant go wrong.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Well, you can, because a 60/5 isn't much of a bike. If all you want is a cute little put-put, this is your bike.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

wvrocks
    I've got my GS so I'm just kicking around getting an older airhead to mess with.

I would agree that for $800 you cant go wrong

and if you think that this isn't much of a bike, you have to read the article (sorry i don't have it right now), about Fred Tausch who rode one over 600k miles. The bike now sits in Bob's BMW museum in MD. Fred rode that bike all over the place, and at pretty much one speed....
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Well, you can, because a 60/5 isn't much of a bike. If all you want is a cute little put-put, this is your bike.
    Feeling a little arrogant today, eh?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

'72 r60/5

I bought my first BMW in May of 1972. What a great bike. It was smooth and reliable and it was beautiful to look at. My R60 was a toaster. I drove it about 20,000 miles in two years. I was in college at Syracuse and I would ride it to school year around exept when heavy snow or iced roads. No fairing but real leather Denfield bags. I would stop at a bakery and buy a hot loaf of italian bread to warm my hands on the way home. Glory days.
    I think I paid about $1500 for it when new.
    I hope you can bring it back to its former glory.
    Campbell Tellman II

An R60/5 is more than enough bike for most folks.

It sounds like a good project bike. But, I would not buy it sight unseen. I ran into an airhead a couple months ago that had a similar past of neglect. When I looked at the bike, it was completely rusted. There were virtually no usable parts on the bike.

If the bike looks good, it is probably a good deal.

When I saw the title of the post,I thought ,$2k in decent shape.
    $800 is a steal.
    Good luck.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Rally Rat
    Mine was a 8 yr storage as well.....

Bike had to be completely stripped and rebuilt, fun winter project but expensive.... 800 can turn into 000's quite quickly if you are in a hurry to finish. Using patience and this forum you will save lots..

Good find I am looking for a r75/5 as my next project

wvrocks
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try to go take a look at it early next week. Funny, it was listed as a 1992 R60/5. That kind of caught my eye so I had to give the guy a call and see what was up. Typo on the want ad's part but I'm hoping it will be enough to keep someone else from noticing it over the weekend.