Thread: Tires/battery

Tires/battery

Need new rear tire and a battery. I've been using conti k112, now about $150. Any other options? Have seen people using tractor batteries from Walmart, not sure of exact models that would fit my 74 R90/6.

Tire...Avon Road Rider would be my choice...actually I did for my /7! Inch-size dimensions...always good.

As for battery from Wally World, they'll work...you just need something that is no bigger than the stock size and has terminals that will match up.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thumbs up Batteries...

I have only been dealing with Beemers for about a year, but my '80 R100RT had a POS generic battery that would not hold a good charge and was a real "non-starter" when the temps dropped (I was in Calgary then...). On advice of Dave at Anderwerkes, I popped for an Odyssey (PC925L) back last November. Problem solved, and all of a sudden the "weak" stock charging system was plenty to keep it juiced, and it would always start easily, even in sub-freezing weather. It was a bit smaller than the one that was in there, but a bit of rubber fixed that.

Jim

1980 BMW R100RT
    1968 BMW R50/2
    1978 Yamaha SR500
    1971 Rokon RT-140

+1 on the Avon RoadRiders. Best tires I've used on my bike in 20+ years. I use a Panasonic battery that I bought from Motorrad Elektrik about 4 or 5 years ago- it's still working pretty well and fits perfectly... I'll likely buy another when this one dies.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Problem with tractor battery from WalMart is that it may vent through the caps. You want a battery that vents via a hose, or you'll get lots of frame corrosion.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S