Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '85 K100RT Cruise control?

MysticRed
    Good write up on installing cruise control here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Here's the underside of my throttle

I assume the screw would be in that 'flat' spot on the bottom of my throttle housing?
    Actually - no. Take a good look at the photo Ted provided of where the screw goes (the flip-a-lever is screwed into the hole.) It's very close to the pivot bolt for the brake lever... in a round part of the housing. Some replacement nuts for the pivot bolt could interfer with the thumb-screw part of the throttle lock.

The hole is normally filled from the factory with a plastic plug that you have to pry out.

Given your bike is an '85, it DID come with the drilled housing from the factory (only very late 93-94 K75's came without it AFAIK).. it was standard at that time. So if you don't have it - then the housing has been replaced with a much later one.

The photo you show is of the bottom FRONT of the housing. The screw is in the bottom BACK of the housing..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Ok I cant see any place that may have had or could possibly be a place to drill in the housing. My housing looks different than Ted's. This is a California model of K100rt, if that makes a difference?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

There is no mention of this screw thing in my owners manual. And the photo of all the controls on the throttle housing is identical to what I have on the bike. I don't think mine has been changed, I think it just wasnt on it.
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Here's the underside of my throttle

I assume the screw would be in that 'flat' spot on the bottom of my throttle housing?
    Ok, after much research and comparing of pictures from various sources, I have determined that 'if' my bike had the hole for the screw, it would be in the flat section of the throttle housing just below (in this picture) the hole that has an after market grip heater wire running through it. So guess I could drill and tap it out, right?
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I still suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The photo you show is of the switch assembly, which is not part of the actual grip, it's screwed to the grip mount. The hole sticks out toward the front of the bike at about 45 degrees down from horizontal.

I haven't owned a K in years - so I can't go take a photo for you, but try taking a series of photos all around the throttle housing on the grip. Mebbe we can point it out that way.

And there was never any mention of it in the manuals since it was meant for "authority bikes" to hold the idle high when sitting stationary so the alternator made enough current to power the police radios..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Fred Trimble
    Mike, if you can hold out until tonight, when I get home from work, I'll take a pic for you of the installed factory set screw.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Here's a picture of mine. Notice that the set screw is located on the back (brake lever), underside of the throttle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MonteC View Post
    Here's a picture of mine. Notice that the set screw is located on the back (brake lever), underside of the throttle.
    Ok thats a good picture. Where your screw is in this picture, I just have a flat "blank' space on mine. In my first posted picture, it is taken from underside of the throttle, looking up and towrds the back of the bike. See the little flat spot? So..I still think I can drill and tap mine!
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    My '85 RS did not have a 'hole' either. We drilled and tapped a hole on the top as I recall, though it could have been in the factory location, but I don't think so....too long ago and no lasting pics. It was a real asset on that bike as it was quite buzzy. And, no, it is not a suicide screw....The tap was a very special tap. The machinist who did it for me (rode K75RTs -Byron Francies - since passed) used a special Mercedes tap and die set. He told me that tap was expensive and hard to come by, but I don't really know, maybe he was just really particular, besides being a great guy to everyone.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

3 Red Bricks
    Thread is M8 x 0.75

I've run into other '85s that don't have the hole.

You could either drill and tap yours (cost of metric drill and tap) or buy a later K100 or K75 throttle perch from somewhere like Beemerboneyard or Repsycle for possibly less.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Thread is M8 x 0.75

I've run into other '85s that don't have the hole.

You could either drill and tap yours (cost of metric drill and tap) or buy a later K100 or K75 throttle perch from somewhere like Beemerboneyard or Repsycle for possibly less.

Thanks Lee. Thats the info I needed, and I have access to the proper tools!
    Mike Davis
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Fred Trimble
    Just went out to take a picture and now see that I was too slow - interesting that your '85 doesn't have the factory hole. There was an article in the Owner's News about, oh, 25 years ago that listed K bike VIN numbers against the factory build date. Mine was built in December '84.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT