Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GT Rider Footpeg Position

No longer a member here

GT Rider Footpeg Position

One thing that has bugged me on the new GT is the position of the rider footpegs. They seem to be exactly there where I want to put my foot down
    I know it sounds strange, but when I put my foot down on my 11RT, it comes down slightly in front of the peg and my pantlegs do not interfere with the peg.
    On the GT, I can't do this. If I put my foot down naturally, my pantleg gets caught on the peg.
    I ordered adjustable footpegs and will try to move them slightly further back.
    Anybody else has this "problem"?

No longer a member here
    Interesting! The seller said they sold many and nobody reported any problems.
    No feedback here. These "many" customers are all somewhere else???

Hi Mike: I can't offer any advice on your problem because I have never used that make kit. I am a little confused though because if it works on one bike I don't understand why it won't work on yours. If it's a clearance issue can you make a modification to get it to work? Without seeing it firsthand I am just guessing. At a minimum I would need to see a picture of the other bike foot peg to at least give an educated guess. Sorry....Rick H.

No longer a member here
    Thanks for the response, Rick.
    The problem is, I think, the kits just will not work on a K1600. The manufatcurer and the distributor have never actually tried it. The application list says they are supposed to fit the K1 and I have put them on my K1. They work there. But only because you can push them far enough against the rubber in order for the mounting holes to line up. On the K16, the footpeg has a hard plastic end plate that sits against the rubber and there is no way that you can push the footpeg far enough in between the ears of the kit to install the pin.
    Last edited by EMSimon; 05-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Mike:

What about just trimming the footpegs back a bit? You'd have to check compatibility with your boot, first, of course.

Looks like you only need about a quarter of an inch.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Mike:

What about just trimming the footpegs back a bit? You'd have to check compatibility with your boot, first, of course.

Looks like you only need about a quarter of an inch.
    Don't really want to do this. Also, there is a hard plastic end plate inserted into the rubber which I would have to remove to trim the peg. Removing that would give me enough room to install the kit.
    My whole point is: You pay $250.- for a kit like this and then you have to get out your tools and make it fit???

Ahh ya get used to fabricating parts after you have ridden Harleys for a while. I guess the decision rests with you in that either modify the pegs or send them back with a few pics so whoever made them will understand the problem you had. Perhaps they can modify the pegs so the next ones fit correctly.

Rick H.

Foot Pegs

Mike
    I did buy the same kit as you and put them on my 1600GT. Parts of the install was tricky but very doable. I only used them for about two months while I was recuperating from knee surgery.

Don S

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by k1600GTrider View Post
    Mike
    Parts of the install was tricky but very doable. Don S
    Details?? How did you do it? Did you use excessive force to push the kit flanges into the footpeg in order for the bolts to line up???

GT Rider Footpeg Position

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Details?? How did you do it? Did you use excessive force to push the kit flanges into the footpeg in order for the bolts to line up???
    Mike
    It's been awhile since I did this but as I recall I shaved a small piece off of the plastic insert so that it would fit properly. The hardest problem for me was getting the spring on. It finally went on OK.

The initial part of your thread was dealing with foot position relative to the foot pegs and I had that exact same problem. I went to a lower seat and all is great now.

Don S

No longer a member here
    Thanks, Don! In my case, a lower seat would make it worse. I need less bend in my legs and knees. If I raise the seat, I have problems in my legs too, as the seat is a little too wide and my groin area starts hurting on both sides. Moving the footpegs lower and slightly back would have been the ideal solution.

And my main peeve was that paying $250 for a kit that does not fit, is not what I want to do.

This isi such a boring thread!!!!! how about some interesting feedback on this bike for those of us who might buy one when our steeds wear out.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur52 View Post
    This isi such a boring thread!!!!! how about some interesting feedback on this bike for those of us who might buy one when our steeds wear out.
    Sorry, but there is nothing interesting to report about a K1600. It is a very boring bike. The engine is so smooth you can hardly hear it running unless you put a set of $1,800 Akrapovic mufflers on it. The windshield is so big, you do not feel the wind unless you ride without a helmet. And it has so much power that you can not enjoy the scenery while you ride, because it flies by you so fast.
    And when you run into other owners, nobody has anything to say other than nitpicking footpeg positions. If I was you, I would keep my old bike! Better yet, buy an 1970s Airhead. Lots of interesting stuff happening with these bikes.

Good reply, Mike.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

No longer a member here
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be cynical... I understand. The petty concerns of owners of a certain bike are of little interest to non-owners.