Thread: Hi-Viz rain gear?

Hi-Viz rain gear?

I am looking for a Hi-Viz rain suit .
    With the emphasis on Hi -Viz!
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Motorcycleton
    I've been using Frogg Toggs for a few years. Use the hood beneath the helmet to keep rain from running down the neck. The Frogg Toggs are water-proof. My first pair were a bright orange. A couple of years back my wife and I purchased a new pair of high-viz Frogg Toggs from Iron Pony that also had some reflective piping - my recollection was of prices in the $70 range per suit.

Happily it didn't rain during our cross-country trip. We did wear the rain suits at higher elevation to ward off the cooler temps. Shown is a photo of us wearing the high viz Frogg Toggs while in Yosemite Park and a picture of the older orange suit (in that photo I hadn't taken the time to put the hood on - a LOT of rain ran down my neck!.) Below are several links where Frogg Toggs are sold - it appears that there are more options (and a wider price range) for rain suits.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0RT08H9617
    http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...ATV%20PRODUCTS

'91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Thanks Robsryder
    How about sizing for the frog toggs? I wear an xl Olympia jacket. Would an xl frog togg be correct?

Will that hood fit right over my helmet?

Motorcycleton
    The Frogg Toggs that I purchased were intended for motorcycle use and as such were sized to fit over normal riding gear. So a XL rain suit should fit over an XL jacket.

Fat Bear
    Agree - Frogg Toggs are the best!

I got the BMW Motorrad one piece rain suit last year - bright yellow! I'm more short and stocky so the legs are long but with the velcro bands around the ankles, it's not too bad. Wore it a couple of times in the rain last year and it kept me warm and dry - plus the yellow was very visible in the rain!

Had a problem with one of the seam on the breast pocket not being sealed correctly, sent it back and got a brand new one as a replacement... no complaints from me!
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

I always wear a Hi-Viz Olympia vest. It's the last thing I put on regardless of what gear I'm wearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Donster
    Look at the latest Triumph one-piece rainsuit (the replacement for the Chevron rainsuit). Hi-viz and black, with wide reflective bands. It goes on very fast over everything. Cost is in the $100 range.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Frogg toggs hi-viz!

'02 R1150RT

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    We're BMW folks, so we look at BMW gear!
    The BMW ProRain III looks like this:

I have the 'old' ProRain, which is black with a reflective stripe. I whish it was like the new one since visibility is always poor in the rain.

I like the ProRain a lot. It has a rubber coating on the backside so you don't get to slide on your saddle. On the inside leg it has heat proof material so it won't melt if you touch your cylinders or exhaust. I 'tested' it in a torrential rain for two days when crossing France/Spain and I was completely dry. Just my neck got wet but that was because I didn't have a waterproof ballaclava.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Riding Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    We're BMW folks, so we look at BMW gear!
    The BMW ProRain III looks like this:

I have the 'old' ProRain, which is black with a reflective stripe. I whish it was like the new one since visibility is always poor in the rain.

I like the ProRain a lot. It has a rubber coating on the backside so you don't get to slide on your saddle. On the inside leg it has heat proof material so it won't melt if you touch your cylinders or exhaust. I 'tested' it in a torrential rain for two days when crossing France/Spain and I was completely dry. Just my neck got wet but that was because I didn't have a waterproof ballaclava.
    I have the new ProRain pictured here. It certainly gets noticed & does keep me dry. Unlike goretex, it doesn't breathe as well, so hot weather rain can become stuffy. It is better than slickers, which seems to be what some cheaper suits are made of.

It does roll up fairly compact & I can keep it in a top case & still fit my helmet in there with gloves when stopped.

It isn't cheap, but it is motorcycle-focused, which lots of other rain gear is not oriented toward. As a result, they lack some of the features mentioned above like no-slip in the seat, heat proof. It also has generous reflective stripes to aid in visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by nielsm View Post
    I have the new ProRain pictured here. It certainly gets noticed & does keep me dry. Unlike goretex, it doesn't breathe as well, so hot weather rain can become stuffy.
    But, is it made of some sort of (non-Gortex) 'breathable' material? I've seen this suit at the dealer's and it looks very promising, but the label doesn't address 'breathability', and when asked, the staff don't have the answer either. BTW - I use the Frogg Toggs hi-viz - like it a lot - and it's 'breathability is EXCELLENT.