Thread: Front Brake Master Cylinder Leaking, 89 K75C

DEANCOX

Front Brake Master Cylinder Leaking, 89 K75C

Fluid is dripping out of the master cylinder assembly. In conversation with the parts desk at a SoCal BMW dealership, it was their opinion that it was like to be the master cylinder that was leaking and not the o-ring below the resevoir.

I have front dual discs, rear drum, no ABS.

Have any of you experienced this? Can the master cylinder be "tuned up?" I don't like the north of $200 price tag on a new master cylinder.

I have the manual that describes and shows the disassembly and reasssembly of the master cylinder, but it doesn't talk about whether you can stop a leak or any tune up type procedure.

Thanks in advance!

You probably just need a rebuild. Hopefully the bore isn't damaged. I used one of these and it's lasted longer than the original...$45 http://www.beemerboneyard.com/32722302356.html
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

PS_if you order online from Beemerboneyard enter BMWMOA under "source code" in the "other information" box on the shipping and billing page for a 10% discount.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

DEANCOX
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    You probably just need a rebuild. Hopefully the bore isn't damaged. I used one of these and it's lasted longer than the original...$45 http://www.beemerboneyard.com/32722302356.html
    Thanks! Perfect.

I bought a brand new master cylinder in January and I continue to get weeping of hydraulic fluid around the hollow bolt (banjo joint) crush washers. So purchasing another master cylinder is not always the solution to a problem.

What kind of washers of you using: copper or aluminium?

You may want to consider a new hollow bolt and/or new washers.
    1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    My master cylinder was leaking and it turned out the banjo nut on the brake line needed tightened. Check that first. I am amazed my 23 year old seals are still good!

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

DEANCOX
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    My master cylinder was leaking and it turned out the banjo nut on the brake line needed tightened. Check that first. I am amazed my 23 year old seals are still good!

Scott
    It isn't the banjo bolt or crush washers, it is leaking out of the handle area. A new master cylinder rebuild kit arrives today. I will let you all know how it goes.

DEANCOX
    Got the rebuild kit from Beemer Boneyard, easy peasy replacement. Bled the brakes with my Mighty-Vac speed bleed and jumped on the bike and made a run to San Francisco yesterday from LA. Nice to have front brakes!