Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally Location

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I would suspect with the MOA being on the west coast next year that the RA can expect record braking attendance at the Biltmore.
    Plus it is in an outstanding location!
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    I would suspect with the MOA being on the west coast next year that the RA can expect record braking attendance at the Biltmore.
    Should be BIG. Hope that the RA learned from the last Biltmore Rally. Don't think that they expected the turnout that they got. Logistics were a bit of a problem. It was also hot!

It IS a great place to have a rally, won't miss it.

Arrow What, me worry?

Let's not forget the west is the birthplace of the MOA and the RA for that matter. If anything it should be in the west twice as often! Oops, under the new plan it is going to be here twice as often now that there are only four regions. Gee, that means it will be in the west every four years so cripes, it could be in Oregon again in 2017! It would be nice to see a decent venue pop up in California but trust me, they don't exist in the size required in a temperate climate or traffic free area.

To those that have never put on an event larger than Thanksgiving dinner let me say the planning and logistics of a 200 person rally are quite daunting let alone the upper end of 10K. These decisions are not made lightly and with a great deal of forethought and comprehensive operational measure applied years in advance. There is a great deal to consider besides the distance from your house. It's soooo easy to sit back and decide where and when and what you'll pick to attend while hundreds of people are planning on your behalf. It could be time to get some skin in the game and participate rather than window shop and blog about your distance misfortunes. The location and the ride from your place is only limited by "your" imagination.
    Bob Morrow
    Purveyor of Fine Tarmac
    Expresso Riders MOA#340

Quote Originally Posted by scbmwrider View Post
    Should be BIG. Hope that the RA learned from the last Biltmore Rally. Don't think that they expected the turnout that they got. Logistics were a bit of a problem. It was also hot!

I suspect they did learn, after all they even announced it a year ahead of time. Their also having it after Americade so I would suspect a good amount of vendors and barring any ridiculous heat waves like we had last year in Bloomsburg I would suspect an attendance in the 5K range.

Quote Originally Posted by scbmwrider View Post

I remember it well. I live between 2 and 3 hours from the Biltmore and the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year. It was as odd as the heat at Bloomsburg last year. They underestimated the attendance and the biggest problem was with the showers. There weren't enough of them and the ones they had didn't work well. A lot of people decided the river was a much better choice.

I think it is a great choice and I think Asheville having a new BMW motorcycle dealership is a big plus. I-26 from I-81 to Asheville is the only interstate I have ever ridden that has enjoyable hills and curves for a motorcycle (truckers hate it).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Is camping actually on the Estate?

Quote Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
    Is camping actually on the Estate?
    It was the last time and I suspect it will be this time also. I think we were about 4 or 5 miles from the main entrance. That place is BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I remember it well. I live between 2 and 3 hours from the Biltmore and the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year. It was as odd as the heat at Bloomsburg last year. They underestimated the attendance and the biggest problem was with the showers. There weren't enough of them and the ones they had didn't work well. A lot of people decided the river was a much better choice.

I think it is a great choice and I think Asheville having a new BMW motorcycle dealership is a big plus. I-26 from I-81 to Asheville is the only interstate I have ever ridden that has enjoyable hills and curves for a motorcycle (truckers hate it).
    I think if you follow the progress of the RA rally, you will see the shower problem, along with the camping area has always been addressed and is resolved. Stay tuned..........
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

I too though that I-26 was one of the coolest highways I have riden on.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Wish them the very best!

For those who can not, for whatever reason make it to Salem, it gives another choice.

We drove by Copper Mtn last week on the way to Moab and it looked like a great crowd.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Wish them the very best!

For those who can not, for whatever reason make it to Salem, it gives another choice.

We drove by Copper Mtn last week on the way to Moab and it looked like a great crowd.
    We were a great crowd.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

It is now posted on the RA website:

BMW Riders Association International News and Information
    Biltmore in 2013.

We are back at the Biltmore in 2013: June 20-23

Make your plans now to attend:

George Vanderbilt created Biltmore as an escape from everyday life. Now, you are invited to explore that escape for yourself. A visit to the 8,000-acre estate in the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina provides limitless fun.

Your rally admission includes self-guided tours of the breathtaking Biltmore House & Gardens and the Antler Hill VillageÔÇöfeaturing the Winery, The Biltmore Legacy, Village Green, and Farm.

Play in the Biltmore backyard with an array of outdoor activities, indulge in one-of-a-kind shopping, and savor the restaurantsÔÇÿ exceptional fare. Join us at the Biltmore in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville, NC.

... the weather was excessively hot and dry for the area and for the time of year.
    it was in the middle of a really bad drought for this area... one that hasn't eased totally.

when i spoke with the Biltmore people about the possibility of an MOA rally around 2004, they didn't think they could handle a crowd of that size, so they said no.

still, Asheville is an excellent place for a rally, and Debbi is a smart person. She certainly learned from the first rally there, and I am sure the next will outdo the first.

Looking forward to that big parking lot party in front of the mansion again.

Ian

Like the last rally there, the tours are included in the admission price for the rally. If you haven't done the tours, it is well worth it. Have a look-- http://www.biltmore.com/visit/default-b.asp

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Like the last rally there, the tours are included in the admission price for the rally. If you haven't done the tours, it is well worth it. Have a look-- http://www.biltmore.com/visit/default-b.asp
    So what's the deal on rooms there for the rally?
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")