Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2013 Rally Location

Bump!

Booked room...Travelodge ($54/night) over on State St....'bout 2 miles from site.

I guess tix will be available around April....or ???
    If you can't go fast with 100hp, you can't go fast with 200hp.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Until I retire the west coast is a tad out of reach. Company policy is five weeks of vacation a year, but max of two weeks at a time. Hardly leaves any time for exploring the area unless I slab it there and back.

So for now, west coast rallies are something to look forward to when I'm stuck at home and my wife tells me to go play in the street.
    SHip the bike at least one way and FLY. Save you 3-4 days on the road each way.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw_rider View Post
    SHip the bike at least one way and FLY. Save you 3-4 days on the road each way.
    Shipping a hack is prohibitively expensive, and flying with a dog is an ordeal. Every pee break means we have to go back thru security screening. Besides, the journey is at least half the fun. I can't imagine shipping a rig or trailering it would be even a tenth as much fun!

On the other hand, my contribution at work in the past year has been so great my boss is thinking I might deserve three consecutive weeks off. It might come together afterall.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I'm hoping to work this one into my schedule. Salem is just a hop and a skip from my new home in Southern Oregon.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Way back roads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    The Cascade range has geologic formations categorized as old and new. Around Redmond the volcanoes and lava flow represent the new cascades. Much older volcanic activity comprise the west flank of the range. Good examples of this terrain can be found on a scenic byway that runs along the north fork of the Willamette River and down the south fork of the McKenzie River on a road called Aufderheide Dr. An all day ride report that runs from Hwy 58 at Oakridge to the Columbia river a will be posted in the spring. This route is all paved and mostly (way) back roads.

Another ride report in the coast range will highlight a convoluted route of paved forest roads in the Siuslaw National Forest. (I wasn't lost, I took the long way)

Oregon around the Rally location has some great riding.

My response...
    There are more way back roads than anything else here in Oregon. Really there are just too many to report. GPS works well here, just point your bike in one direction and ride. Just watch out for the microbrews, localvore food oddities and espressos everywhere.
    Just don't forget to take some time on the coast, and southern Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    My response...
    There are more way back roads than anything else here in Oregon.

Just don't forget to take some time on the coast, and southern Oregon.
    Not sure I'd like to do the coast in the summer. Too many RVs but beautiful if you can get there.