Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Trip to Arkansas

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9

    Trip to Arkansas

    I am planning a trip to Arkansas in June and would like to hear from the members about places to visit in the Ouachita and Ozark.
    Any itinerary to suggest, hotel/motel to stay and places to eat.
    I also like to visit caves, any suggestion?
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,569
    Endless good riding in the Ozarks and Ouachitas. I'll start with a cave, since you mentioned caves. Blanchard Springs Caverns, just north of Mt. View. Excellent, large, beautiful, extensive, tours. This area is loaded with great riding, 14, 5, 9, 58, 341 all great riding roads. 341, called the Push Mnt. Rd. is getting a lot of attention lately. Mt. View is famous for folk, country music. All roads around The Buffalo National River are scenic. Eureka Springs is called the Switzerland of Arkansas. Sweet 16 from Searcy to Siloam Springs is over the top. South of I-40 and the Arkansas River are 3 great mountain peaks. Petit Jean Mt, At Morrilton; Mt. Nebo, at Russellville/Dardanelle; and Mt. Magazine at Paris/Havana are well worth riding. Is that enough, do you need more in the Ouachita's.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Endless good riding in the Ozarks and Ouachitas. I'll start with a cave, since you mentioned caves. Blanchard Springs Caverns, just north of Mt. View. Excellent, large, beautiful, extensive, tours. This area is loaded with great riding, 14, 5, 9, 58, 341 all great riding roads. 341, called the Push Mnt. Rd. is getting a lot of attention lately. Mt. View is famous for folk, country music. All roads around The Buffalo National River are scenic. Eureka Springs is called the Switzerland of Arkansas. Sweet 16 from Searcy to Siloam Springs is over the top. South of I-40 and the Arkansas River are 3 great mountain peaks. Petit Jean Mt, At Morrilton; Mt. Nebo, at Russellville/Dardanelle; and Mt. Magazine at Paris/Havana are well worth riding. Is that enough, do you need more in the Ouachita's.
    Any hotel that you would recommend in the area? I am going to look at the map and will get back to you if I have any additional questions.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,569
    No I'm usually camping out on my bike and when I'm in my van, I sleep in it at truck stops and Walmart stores.

  5. #5
    It's a way of life! oldnslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ash Grove, MO
    Posts
    548
    Petit Jean (pronounced "Petty Gene", not pahTEE zhaun..this is the Ozarks after all!) is a nice state park with cabins, a lodge and a nice restaraunt! The lodge and restaraunt are remodeleed just this year! Also a nice hiking trail at Petit jean with a decent water fall.

    Just pick a road around there and ride it, they are all good!

    Eureka Springs is a great 'people watching' place. Lots of 'artsy fartsy' stuff and plenty of independant places to eat. I love the place! But, you should park the bike and plan on walking, as it is not a easy place to manuever a bike around. Lots of hills, alleys and traffic. Walking is faster!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

    1998 R1100RT

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,569
    Yes Petit Jean and Mt Magazine both have nice lodges for over night accomadations. Eureka Springs has quite a few very nice motels and hotels. Petit Jean/ Mather Lodge and cabin resv. 501 727 5431, 1 800 264 2462 Mt. Magazine lodge/ cabin resv. 1 877 665 6343 Both lodges are very nice. Eureka Springs Cof C 1 800 6EUREKA or 479 253 8737

  7. #7
    It's a way of life! oldnslow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ash Grove, MO
    Posts
    548
    In Hot Springs Arkansas, I have stayed at The Alpine Inn, a mom and pop place. Not fancy, but clean and cheap, and covered parking for bikes. Its a motel type place, with a row of rooms, like the old days. Park in front of your door! I liked it, but Im adventurous! I have spoke to others who liked it also.

    I didnt find Hot Springs to be that interesting of a town though. They do have a horse track though!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

    1998 R1100RT

  8. #8
    RideTN RideTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    W TN
    Posts
    45
    http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/

    nice motorcycle only motel with british owners in eureka springs. great riding in the area in about any direction.
    RideTN
    W Tenn
    2012 r1200rt

  9. #9
    Mike LngRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Moore, Ok
    Posts
    200

    Arkansas

    I like to stay at The Hub in Jasper, right on Hwy 7 South. Great riding in the area, Hwy 7, 23, just to name a couple. Just got back from a 1 day trip over there and going again for 3 days next week. The Hub is a motorcycle motel with a nice restaurant, good people run it and you get great rates and even better service.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RideTN View Post
    http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/

    nice motorcycle only motel with british owners in eureka springs. great riding in the area in about any direction.
    Thanks to all for the answer and tips about my coming trip. I like the biker friendly motel that has riding maps on their web site. That's great.
    Mount Magazine has also a nice accomodation with a decent price on the rooms. The cabins are a bit over my budget.

    I haven't heard any comments on the Ouachita area and potential rides there.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Marion,Ar.
    Posts
    4,569

    Ouachita scenic rides

    Hot Springs is the famous Spa City. Nestled in the Eastern end of the Ouachita Mountains. Famous for horse racing, hot springs bath house row, mountain and lake resorts that surround the city. Ride north on Scenic 7 all the way to Harrison. Probably the most famous scentic drive in Ar. Probably two famous due to all the motor homes using it. Or take 270 West out of H.S. to Mena Ar. Another alt. is to catch 88 west to Mena. Almost as pretty and less traffic to boot. Stop at the Lum&Abner Museam. At Mena get on the Talimena Drive Hiway 88, be sure to stop at all the little scenic overlooks for some breathtaking views. The lodge at Queen Wilhelmena is a must stop. Continue the ride on Hiway1 to Talihina, Ok. The drive is about 70 miles in length. Many scenic overlooks, and historical stops on the way. Many mom&pop motels, campgrounds, etc. in Hot Springs and all the the surrounding areas. Ride and have fun in Ar. ps Talimena Dr gets its name from combining Talihina and Mena town names.

  12. #12
    Polarbear Polarbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Clovis,CA
    Posts
    4,192

    Back country:)

    Find OARK,Ark. and you're lost. Not too far from I40, but still lost or seems so. Some cool places in them thar deep woods, where the sun doesn't even hit tarmac or dirt roads under the tree canopies at mid day. Ya gotta like hound dogs, sweet tea and even a few folks with no more than change in their pockets and so very friendly and easy going. That OARK General Store is oldest continuing open store since the Civil War days in Arkansas. A neat GRILL too, so stay for lunch and pet the dogon the porch...I did. Randy

  13. #13
    Registered User dadayama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    223
    [QUOTE=That OARK General Store is oldest continuing open store since the Civil War days in Arkansas.[/QUOTE]

    If you go to the Oark General Store... you have to eat some PIE... yes they make GREAT pie...!!!

    Just got back from a trip in Ozark Mountain's of Arkansas... it was a group ride... as a we were getting back on our bikes, the owner came out shouted out to us that he appreciated our business and please come back...

    Did i mention the great pie...? that is all i ate for lunch that day... and wasn't the only one.
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    9
    I will make sure to stop by the General Store in Oark after such a good reviews...

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville,ga
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Hot Springs is the famous Spa City. Nestled in the Eastern end of the Ouachita Mountains. Famous for horse racing, hot springs bath house row, mountain and lake resorts that surround the city. Ride north on Scenic 7 all the way to Harrison. Probably the most famous scentic drive in Ar. Probably two famous due to all the motor homes using it. Or take 270 West out of H.S. to Mena Ar. Another alt. is to catch 88 west to Mena. Almost as pretty and less traffic to boot. Stop at the Lum&Abner Museam. At Mena get on the Talimena Drive Hiway 88, be sure to stop at all the little scenic overlooks for some breathtaking views. The lodge at Queen Wilhelmena is a must stop. Continue the ride on Hiway1 to Talihina, Ok. The drive is about 70 miles in length. Many scenic overlooks, and historical stops on the way. Many mom&pop motels, campgrounds, etc. in Hot Springs and all the the surrounding areas. Ride and have fun in Ar. ps Talimena Dr gets its name from combining Talihina and Mena town names.
    The lodge and restaurant at Queen Wilhelmena state park are closed for renovations and remodeling until 2013. The campground is open.

    The Talimena Scenic Drive is worth the trip to that area even without the lodge at the state park. I did a day ride from the lodge at Mt Magazine to the Talimena Scenic drive last October. With all the trees in their fall color it was a fantastic ride.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •