Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Q: painkiller in morning of LD ride

Rally Rat
    47 y/o MS patient... I take 1 Advil/Ibuprofin if I know I'm going to be on the bike for 2+ hours (including pit stops) Just makes the limbs a bit more loose.

Quote Originally Posted by moralem View Post
    I won't go into the list of supplements I take in general that are part of my regimen to live a healthy lifestyle, but in keeping with this thread I would also suggest glucosamine chondritin for overall good healthy joints. And not so much for the pain, I take aspirin before for a long ride more for the blood thinning capabilities. Just as folks are at risk for blood clots from sitting in thier car or on planes for hours we too are susceptible on our bikes. So be sure to really walk around when you fuel up and move around on the bike. The last thing you want is a blood clot. And both young and older are at risk. 21 year old son of my wife's friend did a road trip with his college buddies from southern cal to Seattle and back. Her soon was hospitalized with blood clots. He sat in that car for a 21 hour stretch and docs attribute it to being sedentary in one position for so long.
    Depending on which day you read about aspirin , it is either keeping you alive or going to kill you! I'm 68 & take the 81mg (senior version extended release Wally world version) rec by my doc. I AM NO DOC!-but Aleve & Ibu are the same category-save your $ & take the ibuprofens-just takes more to = Aleve tab. I used to take Relafen for arthritis but kidneys were compromised from a virus(long story,I'll spare you) & mu kidney doc said she heard @ a conference that she would win the Nobel prize if she could come up with a drug in the classes just mentioned(my 800mg Relafen's were equal to a bunch of Aleve & in same class-nsaids) that kidney patients could use without kidney affects. Bottomline, don't take these drugs unless you have normal full functioning kidneys and be aware that requent/heavy use of them will put your kidneys at risk. I say this because many people are popping ibu's & Aleve like candy in our society.
    As to pain kileer use, sad to say there are way to many in some people's house. My young doc nephew says he had absolutely no idea just how many older people are using large amounts of pain killers. Said to be(again very sad!) one of the main sources for abusers is granny & grandpas stash in the cabinet!

Boy thats a true'ism!

We hate our pains, indeed and too many folk are there. I agree, eating this stuff will kill you equally fast, when used too regular in higher doses, daily. I was there too, got off it after I realised it was not working for me anymore. Works great in the early days, just your body says whats up after a while? Randy

I found that Glucosamine and bananas help, also drinking Emergen C...
    John.

I have experimented with all the usual over the counter stuff, for me Aleve or any generic ( less expensive) Nsaid works the best.

I don't always take them and feel the difference when i do not on a day ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    save your $ & take the ibuprofens-just takes more to = Aleve tab.
    Not quite. Aleve is Naproxen, not Ibuprofen. Similar (Both are NSAIDs), but different.

Ed Kilner #176066
    Thanks all.

Looks like ibuprofen while on the trip is prudent. I'm going to give it a trial run this week.

Rethinking my decision about delaying purchase of peg lowering kit. May be a better option.
    Ed
    2011 R1200RT Thunder Gray Metallic; 2000 Triumph 900(sold)
    http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Triumphant View Post
    Thanks all.

Looks like ibuprofen while on the trip is prudent. I'm going to give it a trial run this week.

Rethinking my decision about delaying purchase of peg lowering kit. May be a better option.
    Peg lowering kit? I say yes to that! Do you have the highway pegs yet? I wish I could stretch my legs. Anybody who has two places for their feet seem to be able to go the long distance easier.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Peg lowering kit? I say yes to that! Do you have the highway pegs yet? I wish I could stretch my legs. Anybody who has two places for their feet seem to be able to go the long distance easier.
    I use a peg lowering kit, the passenger pegs, and crashbars mounted pegs for 3 alternative foot positions. I did 500 miles Friday, gassed up 3 times and only got off the bike for a couple of minutes on the trip. So yeah, alternatives help a lot! And painkillers helped my screwed up knee on this trip.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Man i bet people look at me like I am having a spaz attack going down the road.

I am always moving my feet from the riders pegs to the pillion pegs, then up to the crash bars. Any thing to get some relief in the old joints.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post

I am always moving my feet from the riders pegs to the pillion pegs, then up to the crash bars. Any thing to get some relief in the old joints.
    Hahaha, I forgot about sitting on the pillion seat and just letting my legs dangle -- talk about spaz!
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    3 ibuprofen, water and stretch keeps me limber!
    '02 R1150RT

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post

I spend about 5 minutes of each hour riding, doing various stretching exercises, each for about a minute. Riding on the passenger's pegs, rather than the rider's; stretching my legs out as if I had pegs on the crash bars; slightly lifting my butt off the seat and about a minute of pumping my legs up and down without touching the seat. As well, each had gets a minute of finger pumping. I do have lower pegs on one of the bikes. This as well as short walks and stretching at gas stops seems to prevent aches on my trips. Of course, all of the above exercises only happen when I have lots of clear space around me. But I am luckier than some; I inherited good, pain-free joints from my parents.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I found that Glucosamine and bananas help, also drinking Emergen C...
    My understanding of the glucosamine/chondritin thing(per reading the research & my hand doc saying so) is that it WILL NOT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, but is a way to provide your joints with a bit of what your body isn't doing as well in senior years. My chem engr son(who has had ACL surgery on each knee in HS from sports) has read a bunch and he says the research is not so true as he determined that the amounts you gain from the dose are too small to ever really provide what they say. I did it, tired of spending the $ & choose to exercise instead. They have never been purported to provide relief.
    As to pain pills, back to my soap box! 60 mins this Sunday nite , they had the director of the huge research project into addictions in USA. She is interesting in & of her story as a relative of Leon Trotsky and from Mexico. She commented that "WE"! must have a lot of pain in USA as there are 210 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! opiate pain prescriptions written here each year!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. This notion that pain pills are all being consumed by some "trailer park" trash idiot here in my state, or wherever else are hogwash-its a national problem & not restricted to teens or whatever other stereotype you want to assign it.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Not quite. Aleve is Naproxen, not Ibuprofen. Similar (Both are NSAIDs), but different.
    I stand corrected. I meant to say that the naproxen I formerly took(Relafen) , prior to kidney damage, 1 relafen tab was equal to 8 Aleve tabs & I was on 6 per day-make no mistake, I miss them dearly. It wasn't about pain, it was (mostly,pain a smaller factor)about flexibility. It's as though you rob peter to pay paul on this stuff as the 650 mg acetaminophen extended release tabs I take now are said to be hard on your liver instead of kidneys-can't win?