Thread: Lexington Ky to Knoxville Tn

Lexington Ky to Knoxville Tn

I am traveling to Knoxville on my RT from NE Ohio and was thinking about getting off the interstate at Lexington and do some back road riding the rest of the way. Does anyone have a route that has some scenic value and twisties along the way. I'd appreciate any suggestions you could share with me. Thanks

Earache
    Lots of views but no replies. I haven't got the definitive answers for you, but will give it a go.

I ride from Indy to Knoxville often, passing through Lexington on the way. Here are a few of the better roads;

Route 460 is kinda nice (I-75 at exit #125) as you pass by a lot of the huge Thoroughbred horse farms along the way. Head east on 460 off of I-75, through Paris and into Mount Sterling. Continue on 460 to Frenchburg and look for Route 77 - take it going south.

77 runs along the Red River Gorge Park and through the Nada Tunnel. 77 is a great curvy road with lots of humps and dips in it. Really a joy to ride.

77 hits Route 15 and you can then take that southeast towards the border. Follow 15 to Whitesburg and hit 119 west there. This will head you back towards Knoxville. Nice twisty road as well. Follow 119 to 25E and head south on 25 E. 25E isn't spectacular, but it's better than the interstate.

25E will intersect I-81 / I-40 at Morristown - a short, 25 mile jaunt on the interstate into Knoxville.

I live in the E. KY area mentioned & the route given is as good as you can do per your request, unless you really get away from the intended trip route.

Motorradfahrer
    I took 421 from Lexington to East TN 2 years ago and it is a great route. It will take you all the way into TN a bit east of Knoxville. It is one of those great two lane roads that used to be the main road back in the day. I enjoyed that route and would take it again. From the great scenery to twisty sections to the dried up little towns along the way it is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Earache View Post
    Lots of views but no replies. I haven't got the definitive answers for you, but will give it a go.

I ride from Indy to Knoxville often, passing through Lexington on the way. Here are a few of the better roads;

Route 460 is kinda nice (I-75 at exit #125) as you pass by a lot of the huge Thoroughbred horse farms along the way. Head east on 460 off of I-75, through Paris and into Mount Sterling. Continue on 460 to Frenchburg and look for Route 77 - take it going south.

77 runs along the Red River Gorge Park and through the Nada Tunnel. 77 is a great curvy road with lots of humps and dips in it. Really a joy to ride.

77 hits Route 15 and you can then take that southeast towards the border. Follow 15 to Whitesburg and hit 119 west there. This will head you back towards Knoxville. Nice twisty road as well. Follow 119 to 25E and head south on 25 E. 25E isn't spectacular, but it's better than the interstate.

25E will intersect I-81 / I-40 at Morristown - a short, 25 mile jaunt on the interstate into Knoxville.
    That sounds like a pretty good route. If you take it and want a great place to stay, check out the Benham School House Inn. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Kentucky.html

Thanks for the trip suggestion. I will print the Rt 77/15 map for my tank bag

Earache
    Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    That sounds like a pretty good route. If you take it and want a great place to stay, check out the Benham School House Inn. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Kentucky.html

Looks great and I 'll check it out next time I have the wife along with me - she loves this kind of crap.