Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do You Wear ARAI?

Not a fan of Arai- think they have outlived their legitimate place in the market and are overpriced. Lots of good choices these days and no need to spend that much for good protection and features.
    Have done shield changes on my female riding partners Arai and had to dremel a bottom opening to get the thing to click closed and open properly. Yes I know to how to change an Arai shield and its not as bad as some say but its still more trouble than necessary and I really don't want to waste time fiddling with minor dimension adjustments to get one to fit right. Has more parts than necessary also both in the shield mechanism and the shield itself. Less parts means less stuff to break/fix/fit...
    Besides, Shoei fits me a lot better off the shelf and I can just mailorder without the need to mess with mix and match pad changes....

Arai wearer, past!

They would NOT send me any parts for my chin vent that broke! I wore the Arai XD for 5 years without any discomfort. THEIR customer quals are horrible, however. They are priced beyond all the comps out there and lost my business. I liked the Arai overall, still have it as my backup helmet. Faceshield was poorly thought out, never stayed put well. My new ICON "variant"has many the same features, out of Korea and I like it well. No discomfort, bubble shield i like better. My opinion, NO helmet should cost 500$ and too many great ones are found for much less. Randy

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I thought The Service Pavillion sounded familiar, so I looked up their site. It's where I bought my Arai, (Quantum?) several years ago. Since I am not too far away, I went down to their shop and got fitted for my helmet. Over the years, I've bought a lot of helmets. Never before had I been FITTED for one. It was great, and I have never before been so happy with the way a helmet fit my head.
    Geez--I've mail ordered from them but until you wrote this, I had no idea where they were located. Since I'm in Carlisle, I'll ride out there next time I need something as well. It will give me an excuse to go to Prudhommes' Lost Cajun Kitchen in Columbia.

Left Coast Rider
    When I have needed parts for my Arai helmets (which I've been using for about 15 years) I've always dealt directly with Arai America. I've always experienced excellent service from them.

If any of you buy an Arai, make a point of registering your purchase on the Arai America website. It helps them which, in turn, helps you when you need something.

I buy Arai only because they happen to fit me better compared to other helmets. I find them to be price competitive with other high-end offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
    I hope I can! I used a debit card from my bank.
    FWIW, I do not nor will I ever have a debit card for the situation you describe. It is also a huge risk that if your debit card gets skimmed: your account can be cleaned out and it will take a long time to correct it. It is direct access to your money, without limit.

When my clients ask about these things I tell them I would be committing malpractice to suggest anybody get or use a debit card. Checks work, and credit card charges can be refused.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

I know they are expensive and I have used one myself, but dude the helmet is 4 years old. Time to get a new one anyway. Mine get pretty rank even after you wash the liners.

Jack Herbst
    I have had three of them and think they are way overrated not to mention their prices are rediculas! I buy the lower end now and find them very good if not better than Arai. They are well made fit well and go through the same rigorous testing.

Stop drinking the kool-aid. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is any better than another lower priced brand. In my sixty years of riding and racing I have had most of the familiar brands.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Motorradfahrer
    Got to say it as I am going crazy. If another brand fits you then good. Arai is better for many because it fits the hard to fit better. They are the only brand with different shapes. Nothing else fits me like my Profile. None. Before that I had hot spots front and rear or I bought a helmet too large. Nobody said Arai was better in this thread but already a couple have called the brand over rated. Over rated is a helmet you have to fit with spoons. Arai is hand made which is why the price is high. I have seen plenty of helmet shtta cost less, look good and are made with great feeling padding and soft material but they don't fit. So no matter how great they are for you they are over rated for me because they don't fit which is dangerous. I find helmets that fit right, are comfortable and offer me great protection a bargain.

Rally Rat
    I work 5 minutes from Service Pavillion, in New Holland, PA. Great people, even though I dont own an Arai, as my HJC iS-16 fits my head just right.

If it fits, buy it.

+1 Jogitu,

It is all about the fit. I paid about $705 for our 2 Arai helmets in '09. I don't get a headache while I wear it, it is fairly quiet all sealed up and has great ventilation. The shield ain't the greatest but it is the best helmet I have ever worn. If I find one that fits better I'll buy it too.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Back to the OP's original predicament, side pod covers being hard to find. I just checked EBay, searched for "Arai Vector pods" found 34 results, with one seller offering about 50 colors , NIB Arai stock.
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

I have owned the Profile style of the Arai helmet since 2006. I have had vent problems several years ago and when I called Arai directly and told them the issue... they just sent out the parts... and I received them in the mail quickly. The helmet has been a pretty good helmet... unfortunately it isn't as snug when I first got it. I have not been wearing it that much because of that. I can't complain about their customer service as they have been wonderful. Call Arai directly. PM me if need number.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Arai fit is worth the extra $$$ IMHO, Arai offers a fit for almost anyone. I have a Big round noggin, (XL Quantum II) and Arai always fit the best, I couldn't even get a Shuberth on my head in XXL!

A few years ago I went on a quest to try to find a good helmet at less $$ tried on 10 or 15 different brands and could never get a good fit, except from Arai.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have had three of them and think they are way overrated not to mention their prices are rediculas!
    It took buying 3 of them to realize that?

Just messin' with ya!

I'm a bit more concerned about how a helmet fits then the initial price. Started riding with Arai's about twenty years ago (been moto enthusiast for 49 years..yikes, I'm old!). The interior shape (currently use an XD3) fits me far better than any other lid. Every year at the International show I try on other brands...and have yet to find something as comfy.

But then I've never had anything break or go missing like the OP, so perhaps my comments are irrelevant...

Bill Johnston