Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do You Wear ARAI?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    But then I've never had anything break or go missing like the OP, so perhaps my comments are irrelevant...
    If your "S" was Pacific Blue you'd probably have more credibility...

I've broken the side elements in my profile and bought the replacement parts in person at Coleman Powersports in Falls Church VA. They showed me how to fix, as they also indicated the pieces crack frequently. If you're still looking, I would give them a call to ask them about it, don't rely on their website. I know from recent boot shopping that they show inventory on the web based on their suppliers for the online shopper.
    09 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    If your "S" was Pacific Blue you'd probably have more credibility...
    IMHO, you are totally wrong. Besides, those Pacific Blue ones are WAY too slow!!!

Bill Johnston

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    IMHO, you are totally wrong. Besides, those Pacific Blue ones are WAY too slow!!!

Not so sure about that. The speedo on mine reads to 260 which of course is its top speed. Otherwise, why would it read that high?

BTW, trip to Rich's is in the offing.

Sorry for thread derail, everyone!

Mind is not for rent
    I've got a Signet-Q I'm not gentle with, and I've had no problems with it. Best fitting helmet I've ever worn.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Stop drinking the kool-aid. Just because it is expensive does not mean it is any better than another lower priced brand. In my sixty years of riding and racing I have had most of the familiar brands.

Jack
    I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.

Snell rating is a Snell rating, no matter what the helmet costs, but an Arai is the ONLY helmet that will fit my potato/watermelon shaped head, and the Signet fits it perfectly. I have wore my helmet for 10 hours non stop before, and not a bit of discomfort. I will continue to pay their prices because it fits.

And here's food for thought. Some riders think nothing of spending over 20,000 for a bike, thousands of dollars for the latest greatest clothes that says "'Stich" somewhere on it, but get cheap when they are buying protection for the only bone and organ that can't mend itself! Spend $1,000 to prevent road rash, but shy away from $600 to protect your skull and brain? (thread hijack over)
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    I have a 2001 Randy Mamola replica that I still wear everyday. I know I should retire it, but it still looks and fits perfect.

I have an rx7 I wear for roadracing and I just bought an Arai Open Face that I found on Craigslist brand new for $50. Guy bought a bike and gear and a week later his wife made him sell it all.

Not a big open face fan but for $50 how could I pass it up? Still had the tag on.

I highsided at Putnam Park back in 1998 in turn 4 at about 110. According to the guy behind me I landed directly on my head. I don't know because I was knocked unconscious immediately and didn't come to until the ambulance arrived. To this day I say it was the Arai QuantumII that kept me in one piece. Other than the knock-out I was fine...not even a scratch.

And to echo the previous post, my brothers favorite comment, "how much is your head worth?"
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

Jack Herbst
    [QUOTE=rockbottom;774697]I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.[/QU

Another Kool Aid drinker that makes the economy better. Try some other less expensive brands. You might be pleasantluy surprised! Scorpian, HJC etc.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Jack Herbst
    Opinions are rather like Noses, every one has one. Thats why we are not all riding the same M/C and wearing the same Helmut!
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Opinions are rather like Noses, every one has one. Thats why we are not all riding the same M/C and wearing the same Helmut!
    Amen to that!

But my opinion about what goes on my head is what matters. LOL... That being said, I believe the main reason that Arai got my business several years ago was "fit" dependant, with cost a secondary concern. I have an oversized melon, with, I guess, and odd shape. (I broke a football helmet in high school, it took a week on special order to replace.) As far as other brands, I like to shop around and continue to try on competitive brand helmets when they're available. But I'm lucky that I've never had a helmet piece get broken or go missing like the OP...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Mind is not for rent
    Another Kool Aid drinker that makes the economy better. Try some other less expensive brands. You might be pleasantluy surprised! Scorpian, HJC etc.
    Or you might not. I've worn Scorpion, HJC, Nexx, and Shark helmets, and every single one of them has required serious reshaping or removal of foam in order to fit right. None of them have fit nearly as well (even after the modifications) or been as quiet or ventilated as well as my Signet-Q. Arais are seriously expensive, but with as much as I ride, they're worth it to me.

Steve
    [QUOTE=jaherbst;774840]
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I own five different brands of helmets right now including three Arais. Consider the Arais worth the price and won't buy anything else.[/QU

Jack
    Dude, I own a Scorpion and HJC so just tone back the bull**** and insults. If you choose to contribute to the Chinese economy, that's your choice.

Motorcyclist's that achieve oneness will soon achieve twoness.

wanderer
    After nearly 50 years of riding I bought my first Arai last year because it fit.

They seem to make a special effort to fit more "heads" by having at least 3 helmet shell sizes and a family of shells for long oval and another for "round" heads. The individual size of XS,S, M, L XL etc are distributed across the shell sizes. Most other manufacture only have 2 shell sizes for all their head sizes..

I have a round head and the RX-Q fits the top of my head (crown like) perfectly (this is where the helmet must fit correctly. Because I have also have fat face I had to remove material form the cheek pads.

I learned that I had previously bought helmet to fit my cheeks firmly but were in fact too large for the top of my head. Dumb huh!...still learning.

Buy a helmet that fits first. Then get the safety rating that you think serves your needs.
    Price should be a lower priority.